Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tips?

Hello everyone!
    I have a question. I am doing anotheragilitytest this Sunady ( I just found out about it yesterday) and although I have done one before and made #8 on teh list, I would liek to know if anyone has any tips on things like taking down a ladder off a truck, carrying it 100ft putting it down and picking it back up and placing it back on teh truck again ,and also about climbing the arial ladder. I have only climbed the arial ladder one time and when i got down I had "rubber legs" so any advice or tips would be appreciated. The test will be early in the morning..8am and it will probably only be around 30 degrees outside and this is an outside test.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Jenni, keep the ladders as low to your waist as you can, and you won't fatigue as quickly. Do your best not to use back muscles in lifting them, as you don't want to hurt yourself. I used to get the same feeling with the aerial, not from fear of heights but rather a fear of falling & getting hurt (quite honestly a fear of mine). I just refrain from looking down much. What has made things worse for me is having to carry big bulky things up or down (go figure-- we're firefighters who carry things to & from a roof!). Get the comfort up & down, perhaps by not looking down too much, and it gets easier when you have to carry tools or whatever with you. Good luck, and let us know how it goes, ok?
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thank you!

I want to thank you for your advice..I get nervous sometimes doing things in front of peopel but know that this is something that I can do!

I asked my teacher yesterday for advice..he says "look up or forward, never down except when you are coming downand need to check where to step at the end of each section"..he also said it helps him to breath through his nose though he didn't know why that was.
    I understand that its a mind thing..put myself somewhere else and do what I have to do to get done. It's a pass or fail but they said time does count so...just a bit worried on that as well.

Thanks again!! I mean that!

MembersZone Subscriber

Check to see if the ladder climb is actually timed. There are several depts around here who do the same thing, but the reasoning is that they want to see if the person is able to work in a situation that many find uncomfortable (heights). If its not a timed part of the test, go slow but stay steady. For starters it will keep you from getting tired as easy, and it may also seem to the instructor that you are uneasy at the heights but more importantly you are willing to work through your fear, that shows a bit of determination and say you wont let your fear get to you.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Default arial ladder

The arial ladder part isn't timed..just to see who can and will do it. They say that for those who haven't done it before it may off set them for the rest of the test, taking time to gettheir legs back. He also mentioned draging a charged hose two ways and I don't know if he meant two different direction or two drags?
    Weird how I am sorta looking forward to this test

Thread Information