Thread: Biggest fire

Forum Member

Default Biggest fire

What was the biggest fire you have been on?

Me 10 Alarms, yes that is a 10 (Ten).
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

November 5th 2002, Fully Involved Structure Fire right around the corner from my house. First on scene. Evacuated the neighbors. Excited and scared as H*LL.
    Last edited by MVFD81; 11-15-2003 at 09:25 PM.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Forum Member

Well I been on over a year and our Department has had only 2 Structure fires, and as many of you know the 1 wasent really a house it was a shed. So the other one would have to be the biggest it was this past August at an Apartment complex, it was arson she got charged with 2 counts, we were there 2 days one afternoon was to extinguish it the next day we helped the investagators.

Our Town dont get many Structure Fires but when we do, there big ones, I think the biggest fire in our Fire District was either when about 10 miles of railroad cought fire, when the mansion cought fire, Or when a whole town block cought fire when an arsonist kept lighting buildings.

I guess our town had good fire Prevention or maybe there just isnt any type of those people who set fires.

But dont get me wrong we do fight fire, alot with our neighboring Department, This Department is running down the hole, Hate to say that but we help them alot on structure fires, they must have bad fire prevention cause they have one like every two weeks. I think it would be off subject as to why there running down the drain though so I wont go there.

Well enough of me. I got a fire Meeting tonight, and its my B-Day so Im going to celebrate.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

HNFC FF/President

I would have to answer with the 2 2 Alarm Fires that i've been on (8/14/02 at 02:30; 6/27/03 at 04:17) The one had the 2nd story fully goin and most of the first floor exterior porch, and the other had fully involved 2nd story with roof collapse upon arrival of 2nd alarm companies. very big fires!
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

I had a BBQ once...............Hows that go again oh yeah I remember! "Ladys love me,flames mildly respect me and brawts are in me"

Forum Member

Oh no wait I fought the "Big One" at the park,so big I had to set up a drafting operation and get Engine 3 as a second alarm------remember hearing that on the radio Matt1984!

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

My biggest fire was a mulch fire, about 3 square inches burning. It was a disaster, death and destruction everywhere! OH THE HUMANITY!!!

But seriously, it was a 2 alarmer, 20 foot flames coming from the roof, and our guys went in and amazingly knocked it down, but not before a 300 gallon kerosene tank went kaboom. We were told later that it could be heard from our second due's station quite clearly. I started Firefighter 1 the next night, so I wasn't interior then. It figures though, since I've been an interior FF, we haven't had ANY working fires.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Its under this post

5 alarmer at the old bleeching factory in summersworth next to the GE building... cool stuff
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

What was the biggest fire you have been on?

Me 10 Alarms, yes that is a 10 (Ten).
    detales??
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

MembersZone Subscriber

4 alarms in a mutual aid town on the 4th of July. We were the first engine in, right after the first due ladder. In service for 7 hours, all hands. Would've been fun if it hadn't been so hot and humid that night.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

makes good girls go bad

Unhappy

Wow. my biggest was a 2 alarmer ( all structure/alarm activations are) Extinguished in 15 min, since we were 1st due over haul for 1 hr or so. BUT this was b4 i had bunkers so i was just out side in an orange saftey vest, didnt even get to see what happened. Missed the big brush fire( my dept, plus county, and 2 other depts) because i had to lifeguard. But i could see it from my tower.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

My largest fire would have had to been this past january. Local bar had a grease fire. thought they had it out, used all the extiguishers in the building. needless to say the fire rekindled and burned the building. unfortunately we lost a civilian life that our chief, and asst. chief (my uncle) found already dead. They tried CPR but were unsuccessful. He was DOA from smoke inhalation. That took like 13 depts, and over 100 ff's. i think it went to a 3rd or 4th MABAS alarm. we were 2nd due. we drained there water tower and ours(water superentendant shut our fill stations down so the town had water) and started on two more. used over used over 75,000 from our tower alone not only that but some depts pagers didn't work (1st due dept, us) repeater was fixed before the other depts were called. everyone in the county thought the county 911 board was going to get slapped with a wrongful death suit. our dept got dragged into newspaper reports and everything else because we found the body. it was a ff's uncle for the first due dept. he died because of a lack of comm's between him and his nephew who was in the bar when the fire started and went out a different door.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

My biggest fire in my 5 years on has to be a packing house. It was a 75/300ft wharehouse, wood truss construction with a sheet metal roof. THe building was filled with equipment and lots of produce. I don't remember how many alarms, probably 5, maybe a little more. We were there from 3 in the afternoon till around 1 or 2 that morning. Not one of my favorite fires, after the first 20 minutes or so it was all exterior operations. I was sitting in the snow with a 2 1/2 for a few hours, I don't think my butt and hands had ever been so cold and water logged. Anyways thats my "big one" story.

Forum Member

o.k. heres the details the tones dropped for a possible structure fire in the township just north of us at about 8:00 pm. my deparment got the call about 8:45 pm. upon arriva we saw a huge building fully involved. it was an old rehab center that had been abandoned for about three years. at about 4:30 the flames were out. we left after that. the first due deparment was there all day with over haul. the total amount of damage was $750,000 worth.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

I would think it would be hard to measure in terms of alarms. What might be 2 alarms in my FD may be 3 in another.

Example: We run 3 E's , 1 T , and a DC to every structure.

Unless it's a commercial or multifamily dwelling, then we run:

4 E's, 2 T's , 1 DC ... then if it goes to a 2nd alarm, it will bring another 4 E's, 2 T's, another DC, and Rescue as well as a mobile air unit, and a rehab bus.

So, saying my biggest is 3 or 4 alarms is sort of useless unless you know what we send. Know what I mean...
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

My biggest was a 3rd Level Box to a two story occupied house that fully envolved. When the first company arrived on scene the house was fully envolved. I was on third company in(which is our truck). That same fire claimed the life of an 80 yr. old man and one of the first in firefighters was treated for smoke inhalation minor burns to his neck(wicked yoda ears)The fire was caused by a drunk granddaughter who dropped her cigarette on a slip cover on a couch in the living room, which is on the first floor. The funny part about the whole thing is that the house is only 2 blocks north of Station 1.

The second biggest fire I went to was a 2nd Level Box which completely destroyed a two story house under construction. It was in a new subdivision that was going up on the west side of town. A few firefighters were hurt from slipping on ice, including me(The house was built on a hill). The temp. that night was 13 below zero. I was on the 4th in which at the time was our old 1984 Pierce Dash which tooks us about 3 minutes to get started(POS).The fire was thought thought to be caused by a leaky gas line on a SALAMANDER heater in the basement.

The URL for the pictures is http://www.geocities.com/gfdslappyro...wbrookway.html
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 11-28-2003 at 01:29 AM.

Forum Member

It was a year go in october was a 4th alarm structure fire
    Engine 101 on arrival found a reclying plant well involved with extension too a two story apartment building also well involved

Crews remained on fire watch at the structure for 3 days after
    ATF's San Gabriel Valley Arson and Explosives Task Force was called in to help investigate the cause of the fire which was determined to be arson

A 2nd alarm brush fire which was also arson had occured the previous night but the two fires were not related
    Units from the Monrovia, Arcadia, Sierra Madre, Pasadena, South Passadena, Monterey Park, LA County Fire, Alhmabra, Burbank, Glendale, San Marino and San Gabriel Fire Department's fought the blaze
    Last edited by Engine101; 11-26-2003 at 03:17 AM.

Forum Member

My biggest was this past april we had a 10 alarm warehouse fire that destroyed 3 warehouses and a small outbuilding. There were 42 departments on location.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My biggest was this past april we had a 10 alarm warehouse fire that destroyed 3 warehouses and a small outbuilding. There were 42 departments on location

HOLY SH*$#

Forum Member

HOLY SH*$#
    Thats what I was thinking
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by backdraft663

Thats what I was thinking
    The most we have have had since I have been at the fire barn (which is 5 yrs.) is like 14 depts..

Forum Member

My biggest fire would have to be a Lumberyard Fire, we had 10 deparmtents there, but we lost a firefighter there so it wasn't an occasion to remember
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Thread Information