MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking Cheffie's Phylosophical Question Period

It's a commonly known fact that the Malahat district does not have a static water supply system, other than ponds, lakes and streams in conjuction with a 3000 gal water tanker and x3 1000 gal port-a-tanks.
    Also known is that Cheffie is studying her fire sciences program.

So the question is a two part deal:

1) (techincal question) how can a district which has approximately 300 single family dwellings be efficiently protected without the use of a static water supply systems aka, fire hydrants? And how effective is it to have mutual aid tankers for shuttling water?

2) (phylosophical point) if the Malahat is a rural area, and there are no hydrants, what do the doggies use to conduct their "business"? Also, if no one is there, and a doggie does his business, does it make any noise?

Inquiring minds are wondering.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

1. It is very feasible to utilize mutual aid tankers if the distance is not too great, and if it is, you better purchase more tankers!!
    If you get enough tankersw to properly shuttle water from a stream, river,lake etc... you can operate without an interruption. It is important to position an engine at the water source to fill the tankers to cut down the turnaround time.

2.The doggies use a tree or other upright structure. AND......Yes! the doggie hears it!!
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The serious answer for us regarding use of tankers is that we place a port-a-pump at the water source, and then the trucks come through and reload.

The one and only structure fire that we have had since I've been with the dept was in March 2001, and we M/A'd for Shawnigan Lake's tanker. We had (at that time) our 3000gal "pumkin" and one 1k tank, Shawnigan dropped their portables down and an Engine too, and the two tankers just ran shuttle. The water source in this case was Aspen pond, about 5 min drive away from the site.

I think that one of the fortunate factors of that event was that there was no one home. The family was out of town for the weekend, and it was a neighbour who called it in. As a matter of addtional info, there were only 9 of us initially, including the Chief and D/C (we were missing only one person from our dept), until Shawnigan arrived, adding an additional two crews.

Going back to the original question, about hydrants. Cheffie was inquiring as to how an area - any area - can "afford" to not have a static water supply system. She was thinking in terms of insurance requirements and liability, if as Wayne pointed out, the water source is a fair haul away. I was unable to answer that question, which is why I dropped it here. I don't know enough about the internal workings on the finer politics involving fire protection and insurance requirements. The only answer I could come up with was expense vs population base. We are not a very big area, and we do not have very densely populated and therefore the expense of installing a hydrant system outweighs the gains of it.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

My nieghbors to the south have what they call the pump truck. Its basically a Pickup with a 100pm pump in the bed and some hose. They have someone set up at a dry-hydrant or what ever their water source and start pupming into the tankers. Seems to work well for them.

We use a tanker-shuttle, we have 3 Pumper tankers and a MA pumper tanker that are always ready to go. So far we haven't had a problem with water supply that way.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Thread Information