Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default city acadamy-carrer center acadamy?

I have a question about the differences between a citys fire acadamy and a acadamy from a carrer center.

First question is, what is better? city or cerrer center?

Is there a difference?

Will a carrer center acadamy look the same to an interviewer as if you went to a citys fire acadamy?

Is there a hiring difference for fire fighters who have allready been to an acadamy and for those who havent?(do trained applicants go through the same hiring process as those whom arnt?)

If you were to complete a carrer centers acadamy,would you have to redue some or certain parts of previous corses for hiring purposes for a city dept.?

Now,i live in cincinnati oh.The cinci fire dept. wont have another chance to join their acadamy until sometime in 05.What i am thinking is by going to a carrer center down the road,i can get the acadamy out of the way sooner than waiting on being accepted by a city department,at a cost of around $3,500.00.(including bascic emt corse)

In your oppinion,does this sound reasonable? Or should i wait until i can get into a citys acadamy?

If you were speaking of a small town, I would say that the department may take the career center academy, but a big city like Cinci, I very much doubt it. Call their recruitment section and find out if they hire pre-trained personnel.

Speaking from experience, I was trained to a level of EMT/FF 3 through a volunteer fire academy (in a career department) and had to go through the ENTIRE academy again when I was hired by Houston, Texas... including EMT, despite the fact that I was a Paramedic when I went through.

Moving back to the DC area, once again, I had to go through the ENTIRE academy again for where I am now.

I know that since my leaving, Houston has adopted an abbreviated rookie school for those who are trained as a Texas Structural Firefighter and EMT.

Good luck!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Kober, the EMT thing had to be rough-- when they say call for ALS, it's like "hey, I'm right here!" Then ya blow them away with surgical cric's & needle decompression, with others in class asking, "Hey Cap, can WE do that?!?" Yeah, OK paramedic go back to sleep!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

do suburb depts prefer pretrained applicants? or are they looking for someone that they can train themselves?

That is a question for the recruitment secions of whatever department you are curious about.

Some only hire pre-trains and some don't care if you come in as a Firefighter or as a burger flipper.

Good luck!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Thread Information