Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Coming to Canada - need help/advice!

I am applying to Immigrate to Canada from the UK and need advice on how to find work.

I am a Sub Officer with 12 years service in the UK with a modern industrial fire & rescue service. I have a diploma in fire prevention and GIFireE qualifications with lots of other in service certificates.

I would like to continue my career in Canada in any fire service or fire safety department.

Does anyone know of any departments taking on in the southern Ontario region, or how I check if my qualifications will be accepted in Canada?

You might start by checking out these threads:

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=51671

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=52774

And again, you do realize we have winter here don't you?

Best of luck brother
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the links smoke.

I'm beginning to understand a bit about your system for taking on firefighters now. worst case scenario would be me having to undergo all the training again in Canada if my fire service qualifications were not accepted - not too daunting but a bit time consuming when you're trying to get right into work.

Now that I'm an old man (36) I would also think of moving into the fire prevention/safety side of things, how are those jobs filled and is there less of a battle with the young guns for these posts?

That winter thing doesn't worry me either, I'm not comming for a holiday.

Chris.

I can only remark on how we fill Fire Prevention positions. These jobs are filled from within. Usually with guys who for some reason or another don't want to be in the Supression division anymore. Our ept only has @ 200 members it may be done differently in some of the larger centers

Forum Member

Chriso,

As someone from the Southern Ontario area maybe I can help abit.

Any positions that are advertised externally are usually advertised on www.workopolis.com

I believe Mississauga just posted for Fire Prevention. The City of Toronto usually hires from outside for Fire Prevention.
    Seneca College in Toronto has a couple of fire programs that you may wish to look into. Just do a search and you can find their website. They are night school classes and the offer two different certificates, one in Fire Protection Equipment and the other a Fire Safety Certificate. Mohawk College in Hamilton also offers the same type of part time program. The catalogues are available online and the courses are listed in the Technology area. If you can get on with a Volunteer Dept when you get here you are eligible to take courses through the Ontario Fire College, they have an entire Fire Prevention Diploma Program available but you must belong to a Municipal Fire Dept.

Other than that you just have to keep your ears open and hope. Many of the positions are filled as smoke says by those who can no longer do suppression or those looking to pad their pensions for the last few years

Good luck!

And if push comes to shove maybe you can board with Lady Capn for a bit

Winnipeg was recruiting a few weeks ago. Hope this helps even though it's not Ontario...
    If at first you don't succeed; skydiving isn't for you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks for all the excellent information folks. I'm still piecing it all together to see what I need to do before I arrive and what I'll need to do to get into employment as quickly as possible when I arrive - (if not before).

Thread Information