Thread: Haz mat truck

Forum Member

Default Haz mat truck

Hello everybody! I'm a lieutenant for the Quebec City fire departement in Canada, currently working on the haz mat compagny. We are beginning the process to purchase a new vehicule. Some people in our departement want a tractor-trailer combination and some other want a "walk-in rescue" alike truck. I would like to have your opinion about this subject. Wich kind of truck seem to be the best? Do you work with tractor-trailer and what comments can you give me about that? Do you think that a tractor-trailer is the best or do you think that a "Rescue truck" is the best? Any other comment would be welcome.

My compagny respond to an average 2200 call per year. We go on haz mat incident but we also respond as part of fire response in the vast majority of our city. We have a lot of narrow streets, lot of snow in the winter.

Waiting for your comments. Can you also join with it, the kind of truck you use for haz mat and the city where your work and some infos about your departement( staffing, numbers of runs,etc.)

Thanks a lot; Eric Savard, Quebec City, Canada

MembersZone Subscriber

I would go with a tandem axle walkin/walkaround rescue. We are specing one for our HAZMAT team currently. We like the combo walkin/walkaround due to storage and transport of our people. I would think that with your situation of narrow streets and snow that that would best work. We currently have a single axle walkaround and it seems to handle pretty good in the snow. But we have added so much equipment that we are looking at a tandem axle.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

The City of Houston uses two (2) Spartan/SVI walk-in rescue style apparatus. They are nearly identical with the exception that one unit is set up for IC/material research more so than the other. They are both on single axles with the usual equipment (Light towers, generators, etc.) plus their haz mat equipment. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Thumbs up which haz-matt truck

i would have to agree with ff7134! i like the look of the tandem axle walkin/walkaround rescue truck and would think it would be the best haz-mat truck. if u had a tractor-trailer i would think it would be a pain, way to big! but that is what i think! GOOD LUCK WITH THE TRUCK!

chris

Forum Member

Question haz-mat truck

Forum Member

I would suggest the truck style either single axle or tandem depending on your equipment needs and manning. London Ontario has just ordered a SVI Hazmat based somewhat on what Kitchener bought from SVI a couple of years ago. Also Vancouver are getting ready to order 2 Hazmats based on a Spartan LFD custom cab with 20" raised roof and a slide out in the forward work area for donning suits etc.
    Check out some of the builders websites for ideas on who's who in Hazmats. SVI's is www.svitrucks.com

I'd say they have the most experience and knowledge of various hazmat designs and have built some "war wagons" for Clark Cty Nevada (Las Vegas) Houston, Dekalb County GA etc.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Both designs have their pros and cons.

Tractor-Trailer (beer truck style preferrable)

PROS: Flexible compartment arrangement and office location. Limited maintenance downtime, have a rental company on call for use of a tractor while the unit is being repaired.

CONS: Additional driver training. No access to compartments from cab. Limited cab configurations. If the unit is strictly designated for HazMat access should not be an issue as the crew will not need to dress out in route.

Rescue Style

PROS: Multiple cab configurations. Single chassis usually requires no additional driver training. Office can be located in cab area. Walk through design, a nice option for units with multiple functions (fire, extrication).

CONS: When unit needs maintenance entire inventory must be transferred to another rig. Long wheelbase limits access on narrow streets.

AVOID AT ALL COST!

1. Fixed compartment and shelf setups (flexibilty is a must)
    2. Tall units. Our HazMat is 11'11" and our Heavy Rescue is 12'4", this creats problems in areas with overhead concerns.
    3. Tall compartments. Make sure all compartment space is within reasonable reaching height.
    4. Split-Cab-Tilt systems. The office for our truck is the rear half of the cab. For maintenance the front half tilts so that the office remains undisturbed. This seal has been an ongoing leak issue which the manufacturer has been unable to resolve.
    5. Avoid locating office near engine compartment to reduce noise.

MUST HAVES!

1. Overhead stack for exhaust.
    2. Desk and compartment/bookshelf for reference materials.
    3. Cellular phone and fax capability.
    4. Climate controlled storage for meters and other sensitive equipment.
    5. Retractable awnings to provide cover for teams.
    6. Atleast one "pass-through" compartment for long items.

Recommended builders are Hackney and Saulsbury, they have alot of experience with large rigs.

Our truck was a joint project between Sutphen & Hackney.

For the specs on our truck visit:
    http://hackneyev.com/d_hazmat_Orlando.htm

For design drawings visit:
    http://hackneyev.com/drawings/d02c03...odel%20(1).pdf

Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Derek Schaumann
    Orlando Fire Department

(the opinions expressed in this post are my own, not that of the Orlando Fire Department)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OFDfireman101; 11-22-2003 at 10:15 PM.

Los Angeles County FD has 3 tractor drawn Hackneys that they seem to love. They have an abundance of space inside. They just happen to be gigantic rigs. The city of Fremont, CA has a new Pierce tandem axle unit they just recieved about a year ago. It has one of the most thoughtfully designed apparatus bodies I've seen yet. It even has a restroom in it. You can look under the Pierce website under deliveries (rescue), and it's somewhere down the page. We're waiting for our single axle 32' long KME to be finished at the moment. We were limited in size due to the area that we serve. We had to keep in mind that this is a hazmat rig and not a heavy rescue. Therefore, we didn't think that we were going to need the extra axle. We did, however, go with a 20k front axle, and 31k rear axle for maximum weight weighting. SVI is considered among many to be the Cadillac of recscue builders. They made a monstrous rescue for the Alameda County Fire Department that is amazing. They also built the hazmat unit for DeKalb County FD, GA. I think that if you're not anticipating carrying heavy rescue equipment, most hazmat stuff is bulky. If you have the room in your jurisdiction for a long single axle, go for it. You'll maximize the room in your rig. A tandem axle takes away needed compartment space. Just my two cents.

Thread Information