Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs up $$250.00 What do DO?

As the lietutenant of our junior department, we have a budget of 250.00 dollars and were not too sure what to do with it. We toyed with buying leather fronts for the BED Pans (660 metro's) buying junior sweatshirts...up here it CT its gets cold so i was wondering if you guys and gals had any ideas of what we could spend it on. We get that amount reimbursed in july when the year starts over again. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

STICK

MembersZone Subscriber

Sweatshirts would be a good idea, especially if it gets real cold up there. Another suggestion would be to buy a 3-ring binder for every junior/explorer for them to keep handouts and SOP's or anything else that gets handed to them in. This is something that we started last year, and in that year everyone's binder is full to overflowing with materials that get handed out at drills and stuff. Let me know if it works out for you. Stay safe!
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Do you need to spend it? Keep it until you find out it is needed for something. Trust me. Nothing is more stressful than last minute fundraising. July is far away.

You guys are in the departmentís budget??

essentials books?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Forum Member

Send your people to Fire Explorer academy or something similar. Wannabe also mentioned Essentials books, another stellar idea. Use it for learning. Maybe even CPR and First Aid classes? Spend wisely, make your expenditure wisely and those who control you purse strings will be more inclined to give you your next installment and heck they may even increase it.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Whats all this about a Fire Explorer Academy? PLEASE if any one has info, post it here, IM me @ Rustygrd2069 or email Rustygrd204469@yahoo.com
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Our state Fire Academy runs a Fire Explorer Academy in the summer. You would have to contact your states Fire Academy or Training bureau to see if they have something similar. See the link below to see what our state offers:
    http://www.nhfeta.com/
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

essential's books are a good idea, but you might be able to get handme downs from senior members. or borrow them from your dept's training library.

I would suggest getting jobshirts. they cost about $45 each (give or take). and they will last for years. and if you want, have the members pay for half. this way only those that really want them will get them.

training can be a good thing too. but i think if you can get your explorers to train with the senior members, it will be better than training alone. but FA or CPR would be worthwhile.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys were gonna probably get job shirts. I have two of them already...were allowed to buy the Shirts that the regulars get so i have one that says CFD on the left chest and another that has the station that im at on the other...were thinking of getting almost a job shirt without the denim pads and collars. Mabe a more trendy version...ha ha but thanks for the input!

stick

ps ffexpCP ya were in the departments budget...i mean we have an account for everything...look at it this way we have a wealthy town so whatever we need we get...not a great life experience for me if im gonna go paid...but we have an account for our model T imagine thanks guys

Save the money for a later date. Don't think you have to spend it right off. Look around and try to do fund raisers. I know some departments with Explorers also charge a small fee that goes into their Explorer's account when an Explorer is on scene. Not sure exactly how that works, but it will help you get more money so you can pay for training and other materials.

Something that may be really useful right off are the jackets from GALL's. I have a red one that says "BTEMS EXPLORER" on it from the post and it is a nice thing to have when its -20 and snowing.

Stay safe!

I gotta say though Galls is a bit expensive. Shop around a bit first.
    Floral Park Fire Explorers
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

Galls is expensive, wasn't trying to deny that in the least, but I've always used tehm, and never had a problem with them

Thumbs up FIRE STORE

TRY THE FIRE STORE ITS THE BEAT
    http://www.thefirestore.com/

Save it, we have saved from all of our spending a couple thousand dollars, and we arent looking into spending it all at the moment, its there for when we need it.

But if you think you really want something, I wouldnt hesitate, we don't. Go out and buy it, nothing wrong with that.

Personally with 250 I would go out and put it towards training material.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by FiRsqDvr45
    Send your people to Fire Explorer academy or something similar. .

yeah that would be a good idea, those are always fun and you always learn a ton the explorer group im with just held a explorer cadet fire school! Even my group, the explorers that play around ther including me learned a ton. We play at the fire service institute.
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

The best thing our Explorers ever did with their money was to put it towards a group hiking trip in WV. We grew closer and became stronger freinds. It also taught us to rely on eachother more, one of the most valuable things you will ever learn. Spend it wisely.

Thread Information