Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default those who need cisd

wish there were more willing to bare their souls and talk about what ails us old guys. nice to see that there are many who want to learn about cisd from a book, but it would be nice if those suffering could talk to each other. after 24 years on the line, it's time to shed the testosterone. had one of the worst nights yet.

I hear what you're saying....

I was never backward in calling in help after some nasty trauma jobs, but other than myself, very few took the opportunity to talk

On a side issue to this, there was a FF in another state of Australia who recently sued his service for around $750,000 for lack of CIS support after a number of years on the job...
    Luke

Default CISM

I have been a huge proponent of CISM from the time I entered the fire service. Not only am I a career firefighter, I am a clinical Social Worker and the mental health coordinator of my department's CISM team as well. I feel I am rather familiar with the issues of mental health and well being. It's been my experience that most of the time we don't need full blown CISM serivices, such as a defusing or debriefing. Sometimes just talking to one another is all that is needed. Many times what we feel is normal, albeit "crappy", will bother us for a couple of days, and then will go away. We sometimes forget while being firefighters are human, and yes, we do have feelings. Unfortunately, that testostorone facade can (is) a hindrance. It's nice to hear someone validate the same feelings we have, "yea, that call made me feel like crap". But, we know how often that really happens. I have a lot of salty veterans on my shift, many of whom have had a bad experience with CISM years ago after its mis-application. I have explained to them what it is I do, never jamming it down their throats, like in past experiences. That has broken down many of the barriers, and I have gained the respect of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CISD

I am for the CISD....however, it does have it's shortfalls. I am a career firefighter that began as a volunteer.. My first experience with CISD was in the volunteer system. I found it to be more hurt than help. Maybe it was too early for the CISD, as it was in the early stages at that time. I learned more about the child that had drown after the CISD meeting than what I knew before. This could be one of the early downfalls of the CISD, as it was 6 years ago that this occured. I have never participated in the process due to this....because of that reason....hope it has changed....need some input .....

Your Brother....
    Bradley Wilt
    Montgomery Co. MD. Local 1664

1664Fireman- it sounds like an unfortunate incident (Both the incident you responded to and the debrief afterwards), but your department needs to understand the difference between an operational debrief (Acrual incident, the response, etc) versus CIS debrief.

They are different and unique. Emotions can run high after some jobs so it is of utmost importance that during an operational debrief, further support is offered. Don't allow emotions to cloud an operational debrief....

If your department hasn't already received it, try and get some training or info sessions running to explain CIS and the signs and symptons....
    Luke

Cool Glad to see this discussion

Glad to see this discussion happening. I train FD CERT teams in disaster psych. Seems that many FD's are seeing the value in CISM and those offering the services are better trained than in the past. Always room for improvement, though.

-JT

Cool

Hope things have gotten better out there for you and the other "old guys." Do you have routine debriefings or other ways to decompress from the bad ones yet? (The young folks need them too, sometimes.)

-jt

Thread Information