Forum Member

Default Bad news at OSFM

I just got an e-mail from a TRUE FRIEND of all Illinois firefighters. Juliann Heminghous the OFSM PIO, is being pushed out of her job. I think that it is a real CRIME ...THANKS Mr. State Fire Marshal...Whovever or wherever you are.

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Thumbs down

That is a real shame. Just another chapter in the Governor's cronyism.
    And yet another knoweledgable person doing a great job being replaced by somebody that doesn't know what the hell they're doing!
    ps Has anybody actually SEEN the state fire marshall?
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Thumbs down This SUCKS!

Do we have anymore info on this? My wife is a car seat technician and is in constant contact with Juli, supporting the state programs relating to car seat safety. Althought we don't know her personally, we have seen the pride she takes in her work. Juli is a class act and deserves better than this.
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Thumbs down

Yep, this does suck. I've never seen so much information coming out of the OSFM office as it has since she's been taking care of it. What a bummer.
    Cap, I know a guy that has actually talked to FM Pina in person. He seems to push everything off on somebody else, like his new "chief of staff". Wonder what that guy costs us. Pina could do some of that work himself.
    If you guys read something that came out last week, it said that the FM would be available for local association meetings if he was given enough advance notice. Our local chief's assoc. has requested his presence at our January meeting if I remember right. I'll tell you if he shows up.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

MIKEY:
    That is sad news. Juliann has been a real asset to the office. Maybe TOO much information was going out. No one seems to know where Pina is keeping himself. Maybe he likes keeping us guessing.
    I can just about guess who's getting the job.
    Is Juliann leaving the office or is she being re-assigned?
    Anyone know?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe she'll get re-assigned to IEMA. Thay agency sure needs help. Of course, we could only be so lucky.

Forum Member

I think she's being pushed out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

I'm sure it's all a political move

Forum Member

The Governor has done SOME good things for the fire service since he was elected...This ISN'T one of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

MIKEY:
    The governor has merely put his signature to the bills that have been the hard work of our fire service organizations and our state representatives. He is enjoying the fruits of their labor.
    I wish that I had gotten a picture of me with the state fire marshal when I met him in Springfield. It would be proof that he is real. He has been very absent so far.
    And the governor? Well, let's say that the trips between Chicago and Springfield will get old. My guess is that he will run the government from Chicago using phone, fax and email! Seems like there was a chief in Minnesota that tried running his department in much the same way.
    We'll see.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Valid points Chief R. However, I just read where Blago is trying deperately to help revive the Downstate coal industry. This will help our departments that many of our IL forum people belong to. Also, at least he SIGNED some of these bills. I cant quite figure the guy out, but he did make fire service issues a part of his campaign. I just think hes screwing around with the OSFM too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

As a credit to Blago, he has signed several important fire service pieces, including the Promotions bill that took, what; seven years to get done? So, yes, he has had his pen ready and is keeping election promises. But, like you, I wish he wouldn't shake up the OSFM. It didn't need shaking up. It was showing some real progress.
    I hope he finds a way to revive the coal industry in Illinois. It use to be very prevalent around where I live, but some of the communities fought to have them shut down, because they were tearing up farm ground. The irony is that the coal companies OWNED the ground. Many greedy farmers had sold off their ground many years ago to the coal companies and they optioned it back to the farmers who could farm it until the coal companies were ready to mine it. At that time, the farmer had to go bye-bye. This should be another thread!
    Anyway, Illinois companies quit buying Illinois coal because it was high in sulfur. Or so I have heard. If there is an out-of-state market for our coal, then great. But I think that he will have a tough time selling it to the environmentalists, who as we know, are selfish, left-wing liberals! I kid; I kid. Listen; we use to heat our house with coal when I was a kid. The coal bin in the basement was my playground! Where was I?
    Oh yeah; I think it's great that Blago is trying to expand our coal business since he is driving trucking companies out of state with his "fees". And he wants to liberalize the work comp system instead of over-hauling it, which it desperately needs or we will lose more companies.
    We agree that he is messing with the OSFM. Email him. I sent him one and got a note back from a staffer that said that my note was important to the governor, it was under advisement and I would be hearing from the governor very soon. That was FOUR months ago. But hey, I understand these things take time.
    I remember that there was a letter campaign to save a certain fire marshal. And the change was still made, so my question is: will it matter? I mean; if he's going to change it, he's going to change it, because we have three more years to forget about it.
    For all our hard work, I am afraid that all's we'll get is a lump of coal for our efforts! (Man, I went a loooooooong way for that one!)
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

CR, I say let's not waste the coal. It has some use. Instead, let's send him a bundle of "clinkers!!"
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay, don't send the clinkers from the fire service until he releases our grant to build our station. We're in a "letter sending" campaign now to try to get some action. (not letter "writing"-I wrote it, they just have to send it)Things will all shake out in the end. Heard Blago actually stayed in Springfield one night this week during the veto session. He was said to have made the remark that he spent more time in the "Hayes mansion" (on the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds) than in Springfield. I think if he can't live in Springfield, he shouldn't be governor. Let's move him somewhere, like Ohio or Canada or maybe even Connecticut.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay, don't send the clinkers from the fire service until he releases our grant to build our station. We're in a "letter sending" campaign now to try to get some action. (not letter "writing"-I wrote it, they just have to send it)Things will all shake out in the end. Heard Blago actually stayed in Springfield one night this week during the veto session. He was said to have made the remark that he spent more time in the "Hayes mansion" (on the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds) than in Springfield. I think if he can't live in Springfield, he shouldn't be governor. Let's move him somewhere, like Ohio or Canada or maybe even Connecticut.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jack, I think Canada is a good place for starters!!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

If you think you are sending one of your political castoff's up here you better expect to take one of ours in return. We'll send you Chretien and his merry men
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jenn, I'm not sure who'd be getting the s#!+ end of the stick on that trade....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yeah but we're finally rid of the Cretin after December 12th, surely we could find someone else to give up? How about Sheila Copps?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Speaking of the OSFM, I met the "chief of staff" last night. He simply outlined their strategic plan and that was about it. He's got some things to learn about the fire service but I think they may be headed in some good directions. The best thing he said was that they are requiring arson investigators to be on scene within 3 hours of the call. Chief types - think that's gonna happen? I don't know about up north, but down here it'll be a hot day in Calgary in the winter before that happens.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NEWS FLASH!!!!

NEWS FLASH!! NEWS FLASH!!

This just received via email from Jay Reardon, MABAS executive board President:

(quote in portion):

TO: Statewide Primary and Secondary E-Nets
    FR: James P. Reardon, Fire Chief

This morning we were advised that State Fire Marshal, Peter Vina confirmation was disapproved by the Illinois Senate.

Currently we do not know the reason why. It is possible the Senate may revisit the confirmation, but at the present we are not sure what future actions may occur.

As facts become available, we will forward you the status and information on this matter.
    Hugely interesting!! Will post more as I hear it!!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

This IS huge!! Keep us informed. I get the MABAS mail second hand from our president so it's a day or two before he gets it forwarded. WOW!
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Call me crazy, but I can't help but wonder if this isn't the Illinois Senate putting pressure on the governor to release the DCEA grant monies that were for public safety projects that have been on hold since the governor took office. Maybe the "review" of the projects will happen now. That is, if he wants to get the SFM confirmed.
    Anybody else thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Jay, is there a subscription available to this e-net?
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the update (and this may be posted to another thread, but I started reading this morning's threads here first):

The appointment was denied by a Senate nominations committee. This is a recommendation. According to Chicago media, Sen. Hendon stated that the primary reason was the OSFM reaction to the loop high-rise fire: (In effect but not verbatim) "Why are we paying someone (James L. Whitt) over $1,000,000 to investigate a fire? I think the SFM should be able to investigate fires."

Piņa's job was saved by Sen Miguel Del Valle (D-Chicago), who managed to postpone a full Senate vote until January. His only argument was that Piņa was the one of only a very few Hispanic appointees at the state level, and his job should be saved.

I am professionally and personally offended by this argument. If I were Hispanic, I would be out-raged. Someone who may not be qualified for a job should not be in that job REGARDLESS OF RACE OR ORIGIN.

I agreed, too, with CR, in that there is probably a whole lot more back-room politics in place here than is being talked about. I find it hard to believe that they would hold up an appointment based on one episode. And the SFM may not necessarily be an investigator. I think his failing was in not providing the Gov with sound advise (and maybe he did. Maybe his advise was, It's Chicago, let them investigate their own fires).

NJFFSA osted the AP wire to another thread. I'm thinking we should maybemove this here discussion over by there.

P.S. Jeff, I get these emails through the statewide email tree, via our local MABAS div. I think that's the only way to get set up.
    More to come.
    Last edited by jaybird210; 11-21-2003 at 08:49 AM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information