Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber LAFireParamedic's Avatar

Default California Takes another Big hit

First let me say that i work in this area and man it was nuts. There were 3" of rain in a hour and to add to that there was Snow on the ground from the hail. YES snow in Watts and Compton.Were finally back at the station and im trying to dry off my gear. And im just waiting for another call related to this storm. I'll try to post some picture here soon

Thunder, Lightning, Hail Slams Four Counties

By Paul Chavez
    Associated Press Writer

November 12, 2003, 6:01 PM PST

LOS ANGELES -- Thunder roared, lightning ripped through the skies and hail slammed into four counties Wednesday as an intense storm flooded streets and freeways, darkened neighborhoods and interrupted air travel.

"It's bad out there right now," California Highway Patrol Officer Vince Ramirez said. "Traffic is very slow because it's wet and we've had a bunch of fender benders."

At 5 p.m. incoming flights were diverted away from Los Angeles International Airport to other regional airports, FAA operations officer Larri Frelow said.

As of 5:30 p.m., about 3,000 customers in Compton, 10 miles south of Los Angeles, and nearby South Gate had been without power for an hour, Southern California Edison Co. spokesman Steve Conroy said.

As the storm moved through the region, outage calls shifted to the San Gabriel Valley, Orange County and the San Bernardino and Riverside areas, he said.

Television helicopters showed large blackened areas where power had been zapped by lightning strikes.

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for southern and eastern Los Angeles County because radar showed heavy rain associated with the thunderstorm.

Offramps on Interstates 105, 710 and 110 in the southern part of the county flooded, bringing traffic to a halt and leaving some motorists in water up to their headlights.

Rescue crews helped drivers out of their vehicles in high water areas, Ramirez said.

Helicopter shots showed water up to the headlights of some cars and trucks.

Heavy rainfall was reported in Compton and the Willowbrook and Watts areas, Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Roland Sprewell said.

Rain in the most severely hit areas was coming down at 3 inches an hour, the weather service said.

"We've got quite a number of flooding type calls into homes and intersections," Sprewell said. "A number of motorists are stranded and our fire personnel are helping them out."

In the foothills east of Los Angeles, officials were bracing for the possibility of flooding and mudslides from land recently denuded by devastating wildfires.

There were no reports of any major incidents in the foothill areas since the slow-moving storm was lingering in the Los Angeles area, said Greg Cleveland, spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

Lightning bolts posed little threat of starting another wildfire since the storm was laden with moisture, he added.
    Copyright © 2003, KTLA
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default heres some photos of the storm

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default another

Default last one

MembersZone Subscriber

Im in Santa Barbara and we got hit by that storm last night.
    What kind of calls have you been on so far? Mostly car accidents? Keep us posted.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Sounds like you guys are getting what we had up here. Big ugly fires through the summer, followed by Big Rains in October. My sympathies and best wishes to you all - GOOD LUCK, and keep your head up! You guys are doing a great job.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

It looks like Mr. Murphy is a resident of California. Damn the bad luck.

I hope that things calm down for you all.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information