MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bachelor Prank Gone Wrong?

November 12, 2003 -- A post-bachelor party prank on a city firefighter sparked a terrorist alert that shut down the Queens-Midtown Tunnel for more than an hour last weekend, The Post has learned.

The closure - which backed up traffic on both sides of the tunnel for hours - occurred when off-duty probationary firefighter Clayton Lutz, traveling in a chauffeured van filled with fellow revelers, got out to relieve himself outside the Manhattan entrance to the tunnel at about 10 p.m. Saturday.

Lutz stepped out of the van, which continued slowly into the tunnel, and he tried to catch up by walking on the catwalk.

As the vehicle neared the center of the tunnel - traveling at a near-crawl - motorists stuck behind it became concerned that it might be carrying terrorists and began to telephone 911 to report the suspicious activity.

Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority cops swooped down on Lutz and the van carrying seven passengers - including at least two probationary Metropolitan Transportation Authority officers, one of them a former NYPD cop.

After about an hour, bomb-sniffing dogs and anti-terror cops swept through the tunnel as a precaution before the lanes were reopened.

When the smoke cleared, cops issued a summons for trespassing to Lutz, who joined the FDNY six months ago and is stationed at Ladder Co. 115 in Queens.

The driver of the van, identified as John Orsini, 33, of Suffolk, L.I., was issued two summonses.

MTA Internal Affairs is probing the actions of their two probies that night, sources said
    .................................................. ....................

Overkill?

What exactly did these probies do wrong other than urinate in public?
    This is just more bad press for the department.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was probably overkill. The problem is that the NYC bridges and tunnels (E229 or E40, how many are there?) are such attractive targets that complacency could kill. You hear about these pranks everyday. Just last week some guy tried to bring a toy gun into the Capital Building as part of a Halloween costume and cused the whole place to get shut down. How many times have you heard about someone playing a joke with a white powder? We live in a different world where some pranks simply aren't funny anymore.

Personally, I feel they were making a statement to show that there is not leanancy for anyone. Although unfair to do it to these guys...
    Floral Park Fire Explorers
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

Forum Member

Although unfair to do it to these guys...
    What was unfair? The guy committed a minor offense, he got ticketed, end of story. Don't know what the offenses the driver was charged with, but guessing one was something like impeding traffic? Bad press for the department is SOMETIMES caused by bad actions of it's members. Anyone wonder how the news story found out he was a member of FDNY? Might just be me, but if I'm caught doing something stupid, the last thing I'm going to talk about is my job.

And I also believe it was a little overkill. If they had the van, why the search?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones,

Just so you know. If you don't identify yourself to the cops as a firefighter and fail to notify the dept of being arrested or whatever...you can and will be brought up on Dept charges.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Ok. Did not know that. With an arrest, I can understand that. For a ticket though, I think that's a little far fetched, but if that's their rules, so be it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information