Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Question OOOOoooooh That SMELL!

I just got back from a fire call at the local tankage plant (that's where they turn dead critter bits into glue and fertilizer for you big city types).

I've showered and changed, my turnouts are getting washed, and I'm nowhere near the rest of my crew (had to rule them out, you know) but I can't escape the smell. Yeah I know smoke smell can linger in hair, but what little hair I have is razor stubble.

I've been in this line of work for nearly a dozen years and I've never run into this problem before. I need HELP!

Short of bathing in bleach, are there any other sure-fire remedies for getting rid of THE STENCH?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

check with someone who wsn't at the fire if you smell BAD.

It may just be stuck up your nose (it is glue right )
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

How about the old "skunk" remedy of tomato sauce? Seems like I remember that a V8 drink works fine too. Anyway, I have never tried it, but some people say it works... could be an old wives tale for all I know. But, it may be worth a shot.

Get in your B-day suit and stand in the tub and get suacey... lol. If you're married/have a GF, you can always make it more fun..
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

I've found plain old ammonia works well at getting most smells out of my clothes, never tried it on skin. You might try a cup in the bath, I don't think its nearly as bad as a bleach bath would be, just shower well with soap and water afterwards. Other option might be a baking soda bath, but that will dry your skin out if you don't rinse extremely well.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Default Re: OOOOoooooh That SMELL!

Originally posted by ullrichk
    Yeah I know smoke smell can linger in hair, but what little hair I have is razor stubble.
    Eh... don't forget the hairs in your nose. I've been on a few fires where I doffed the SCBA a little early. The smell of whatever funky thing was burning was washed from my body (confirmed by others) but was stuck in my nose for as long as a day or two.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    check with someone who wsn't at the fire if you smell BAD.
    I agree with Kiwi. I've been on a few runs where I thought I couldn't get the smell off me but nobody else could detect the odor.

Default Problem solved . . . sort of

We're not reeking quite as bad this morning although my wife concurs, it IS me. Fortunately (or not, depending on your point of view) we had a temperature inversion overnight and the whole town now gets to smell the stuff. Since I don't stand out amongst the general aroma, it doesen't bother me quite as much.

My hands seem to have gotten the worst of it, so I'm going to try the tomato juice thing.

The plant manager obviously understands what we got into pretty well and told us to buy some new hose and send him a bill. He also offered to pay any cleaning/replacement costs for TOG. TOG seems to have survived after a good cleaning in the washer/extractor.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

I'm shocked! Sounds like the manager is a stand up guy! I'd invite him to the department Xmas party, even if you don't need new hose!

Forum Member

Have you checked with your local pharmacy? They might have something to help remove the odor.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

BTW, did the manger tell you what his employees use to get rid of the smell?????

Originally posted by Sleuth
    BTW, did the manger tell you what his employees use to get rid of the smell?????
    They seem to have two types of employees - those that never touch the stuff, and those that wallow around in it. They are all so used to the smell that they don't even notice it.

I didn't get around to the tomato juice after all. I cleaned my hands with some citrus hand sanitizer and noticed an improvement. I'm guessing that the citric acid was the key and that tomato juice would have worked as well.

All's well and thanks for the input.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Default 2 cents...

I was going to suggest the tomato juice or some type
    of citrus cleaner as well...Maybe "Simple Green"???

If you use simple green, I would dilute it quite a bit. Whenever I use it, the fumes almost knock me out and I have a sore throat for a good day or so. (could be because I use it in the industrial concentrated state)

Be careful.

Thread Information