Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SCBA/mask question

I just wanted to find out how many of the Dept's that everyone belongs to issues each member thier own mask or mask and regulator? Does your Dept have the masks/reg's only issued to the SCBA itself?

In SAFD we are all issued a mask. Pretty much all of the stations have enough reg's for 2 shifts. When we come on, if the previous shift had a structure fire then they, or we, take off the old reg, and put on a clean one. The "dirty" ones are cleaned and left to dry. I know it may be expensive, but I would like to see our Dept eventually issue everyone a reg too. I myself usually just take the reg that is on the SCBA and clean it and re-attach it, that way I KNOW it's clean. I do this every shift regaurdless of fires because if the previous guy checked his SCBA the way he should have it's been "used". I understand not all Dept's have the budget to issue these items but wanted to see what the general feel from everyone is about it. For my Dept they would only have to supply about one shift's worth to do it... more or less. My ideal would be to find your SCBA ready to go, minus the reg and mask, and you could just pop on the reg and be ready. Another thing my Dept does is issue a vioce amp to all officers. Well, it's actually taken on and off each shift and used by the 3 officers. Like I have told my LT many times, everyone should have a vioce amp if anyone does. ANYTHING anyone inside has to say it just as important as the officer. If I see a roof about to come down, and my LT does not, then it's important info he needs to be able to hear right away.

I'm thankful that we at least get our own mask's. In my old Dept's we didn't. In my last I would go to great lenghts to make sure the mask's were placed so that the lense would not get scratched. But, what would happen is every time I came back to work they were all thrown around (they were compartment kept at my station). Nothing like having a nice halogen point scratch a perfect zig zag across your viewing area.

Anyway, didn't intend for this to be this long. Any feedback?
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well......

We have 6 SCBA per unit. Regulators and masks are part of the package in each seat bracket. Everyone does the standard "Fit Test" and anyone found to need a different size facepiece is issued one. This is a simple program, but it works for us. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

I work for a career dept and a part-paid department and they both supply each firefighter with their own smoke mask.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently working two Departments, one paid the other volly.

At my day job, they issue everyone a mask. Where I volly, all the SCBAs are kept on the rigs, with regs and masks staying attached. They are however looking into purchasing everyone their own mask and reg.

If I had my way I'd like to see everyone with their own mask and regulator, I just think its safer that way. I've seen some of the people my guys hook up with, there's no telling what I could end up catching.

Forum Member

on my deparment the mask and regulators stay on the truck. we heep the mask scratch free by purchasing a mask bag that is fleece lined inside to protect the viewing piece. the out side is nylon, it velcrows closed. so if we want our own mask we have to purchase it our self. only two of our guys have their own, one guy needs glasses to see so he has to have the special insert in his.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Here, all firefighters & officers are issued their own mask.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

What kind of SCBA do you use that you can disconnect the regulator from the pack? We use SCOTT 4.5's and the regulator is attached to the pack. I din't think that it could be disconnected by anyone other than a trained SCBA technician. We are all issued our own masks.

Forum Member

Scott has a quick connect on the line going to the regulator. It is a special option that can be ordered on the pack and I'm guessing the packs could be retrofitted to it.

We use Scott 4.5's. I thought all 4.5's had quick connects but maybe not. Anyway, if this image will attach I have circled the QC at the end of the hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

Forum Member

We have enough masks that everyone can have their own (we all do), and there are 3-4 spares on each truck.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 11-17-2003 at 02:09 PM.

Our chief says that it is his goal to eventually issue individual masks for all personnel. However, as it is now, we use what is already on the rig. Another problem is that we're caught in a transition phase where we have both Survivair and MSA packs. Being a career guy, I'll almost always use the Survivair... However, there are no guarantees and so if I were issued a mask, it might be for the wrong pack one day.

In my Aussie Vol department we carry 4 CABA on our pumper and 2 on our tanker. Masks are issued (and stowed) with each set and that's where they stay. Unfortunately we don't have any kind of "Fit testing" out here and it's a one size fits all scenario. All "Medium". The masks, like mooose's masks, are kept in felt-lined bags that keep them relitively scratch-free. We also cover our air gauges in similar, smaller, bags.

In the event that a CABA is used (for any reason, fire, test, training) the mask is detached, thouroughly disinfected and dried before re-stowing.

Just out of interest, how often do you find a department in the US that doesn't stow CABA in the cabin with the fire-fighters? Ours are all stowed in external lockers and must be donned after arriving on-scene. We have huge problems getting past OH&S out here with having them in the cabin. The powers-that-be see huge safety problems with getting out of a fire appliance with a CABA on to allow it.

33motor -

My department has the same Scotts that you showed in the picture that you attached.

We are issued our own facepiece - but due to lack of funds- we haven't been able to purchase all the regulators to outfit all of the members of the department yet.

Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

We have 1 mask per SCBA. We have the quick disconnect high pressure hose that goes to the regualtor, and to be honest never really gve that a thought to clean it.I would like to one day get inidividual masks, but so far everytime I have had the Big Cheese put it in the budget it gets whacked by next door (city hall).
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't issue individual masks. Each SCBA has the standard size mask and each apparatus has two extras: a large (for chubby ***** like me) and a small (needed by some of our female ff's). We clean the masks with a disinfectant cleaner after each use.

Personal masks would be great.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Ooopps--

After looking more closely at the picture - I realized it was the new Scott NxG2.

We have Scott AP50's- but they do have the quick disconnect shown in the picture.

Last edited by FFMcDonald; 11-15-2003 at 06:28 PM.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

We issue out masks and voice amplifiers. We do not issue out personal regulators.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Default Our current SOG....

In the three engines and the Heavy Rescue each pack has a regular/medium/whatever the standard sized mask is. We have our SCBA masks hung on our Streamlight SL-40 lightheads in the rear cab seating area. The officer's mask is on the dash and the driver's pack has the mask over the top of the bottle wth the regulator attached (the driver's pack is secured in a bracket between the driver's seat and the rear seat behind him.) Then there are 2 smalls and 2 extra large in their own bags in each truck.

Now, when all the paperwork crap is behind us and we can actually buy the stuff we put in for our FIRE grant we were awarded we are purchasing masks to issue to all interior qualified personnel. We are also going to get as many voice amplifiers as we can, most likely officers first, then the more experienced firefighters. We also are planning to leave the masks on the truck as they are, or at least some of them and keep a few more extras on the Rescue, so that our few SCBA trained exterior personnel will have the right sized mask available to them.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Just out of interest, how often do you find a department in the US that doesn't stow CABA in the cabin with the fire-fighters?
    It's getting more common to find SCBA's in the cab these days. But, many still carry them in the compartments, but I think the trend is moving away from that. The reason we had to carry in the compartments at my station in my old FD was becuase we still had a engine that didn't have jump seats. It was purchased back when they still rode the tailboard. I can't think of anyone who has a fully enclosed cab that does not store them in walk away brackets.. but you never know. I would say it is more common to have them in the cab, if it's an enclosed apparatus.

After looking more closely at the picture - I realized it was the new Scott NxG2.
    Yes, that was the only one I saw that had a pic where you could see the QC. The 50 didn't show it.

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

My department has not advanced as far as giving every Interior firefighter there own mask but several of our Officers have gotten there own masks, we looking forward to getting all Interior's a mask within the next year
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Thread Information