Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Fire degrees by distance.

I have an A.S. Degree in Fire Protection Technology and I was wondering if anyone has tried the BS Degrees by distance. I know some colleges have BS/BA degrees in fire protection diciplines that you can do totally by distance learning. The only Colleges I know of are Colorado State and University of Cincinati. Has anyone have any expierence with anything like this or have maybe a school they would recomend?
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

MembersZone Subscriber

I finished my BS degree at Univ. of Maryland Inv. College. superchef is going there now. The place is user friendly. The instructors are good and the courses are top notch.

Check them out on www.umuc.edu.

National Fire Academt DDP
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/fire-servic.../nfa-high.shtm

Thanks alot George. I will look into it. Is your Degree just like if you were to go to classes on campus?
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah. UMUC is accredited by the same agency that accredits on-campus programs.

There is a certain logic that says off-campus students may be more motivated and put more into the class (and subsequently get mroe out of the class) because they are working independently. Make no mistake about it. DDP takes self-discipline and time. It is not a cake walk. My lab science was Meteorology. I thought it was akin to basket weaving. It was the hardest course I ever took-on or off campus. I was up until the wee hours several nights a week to get the lab work done.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

There are several colleges and universities offering the Degrees at a Distance program. Go to the USFA website for more information. I believe they are divided up by geographical region.

I found the courses well worth the time and effort (and expense).
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

George what was the cost that went along with getting your degree that way?
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by 12TruckIrons
    George what was the cost that went along with getting your degree that way?
    I only finished up the last 40 credits or so. The cost per credit is about $310 per credit. Although expensive, it is comparable to other four-year private institutions. That is also out-of-state tuition rate. Check the website for the MD resident rate.

Two of the 7 fire courses im takeing is "Fudementals of Fire prevention" and "Engine and Ladder company ops" . The text book we use for fire prevention is the IFSTA-Fire inspection and code enforcement and im not sure of the other book for the other course--I havent got there yet.
    I like it,its kind of dry at time but all and all ok. One thing I dont like is when I have a question.
    I have to email the professor and there is a long lag and you miss out on class discussion but thats the only real two downsides I have seen.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by stm4710
    Two of the 7 fire courses im takeing is "Fudementals of Fire prevention" and "Engine and Ladder company ops" . The text book we use for fire prevention is the IFSTA-Fire inspection and code enforcement and im not sure of the other book for the other course--I havent got there yet.
    I like it,its kind of dry at time but all and all ok. One thing I dont like is when I have a question.
    I have to email the professor and there is a long lag and you miss out on class discussion but thats the only real two downsides I have seen.

Good luck.
    Many of the courses I took included a scheduled "meeting" of the class on a chat room (sponsored by UMUC). There, there was class discussion and interaction. Also, all classes at UMUC have a forum open only to class members so that questions can be posted. This way, students and instructor alike can provide answers and advice.

Your instructor should be monitoring his email several times a day in order to deal with issues like this more effectively.

Thread Information