Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member
    Summertown Vol. Fire&Rescue Summertown TN

Default Tearing my nerves up!

Well, another round, another Sat. morning, no grant, no 1199 form, and thank goodness no "dear john." Last year we recieved our DJ letter on Dec. 27th. I guess no news is STILL good news. Is there ANY WAY to check on status of our grant? Do you figure we made it through the computer stuff and are in peer review by this late in the game or what? This is tearing my nerves up! Really don't know what to tell the brothers when they ask "how's the grant coming?" My best answer is "I don't know." Anyway, thanks for reading my pouting....Stay safe & God Bless!

Forum Member

Wink No news = still in there

As we are getting closer to the end of the grant process your odds are overall getting better, of course that means you might still get the dreaded 'DJ' letter, we did right at the end last year. Time to recrunch the #'s, was gonna wait a round but now is ok to,
    $750,000,000 starting$
    -$75,000,000 administrative costs
    -$396,000,000 awarded so far
    leaves $279,000,000 for more grant awards

so far about 5,600 awards out devide into the $396 mil = average award so far of $70,714, devide that into the $279 mil left leaves about 3,945 awards yet to grant.

approx. 19,000 original applications
    -6,000 1st round of dear john's
    left 13,000 passing the computer scoring
    about 5,600 awards so far
    left about 7,400
    reportedly 1,000 2nd round dear John's
    leaves about 6,400 of us left wishing and hoping, so about 4,000 more awards, about 2,400 still to feel the sting. About 61% of the applications not notified either way should be sucessful. Lots of ifs of course, if the average grant stays the same, etc. afew above average awards will rapidly change the outlook, now that the funds are getting less.

AND YES for anyone checking my figures in the prior post, it had an error, I put in 5,800 awards as of then when it was only 5,400, my oooooppsss, kinda surprized no one caught it.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Forum Member

Question

Charlie,
    Thanks for the morale boost. I read with interest your 11/10 posting on why you were mad - I get the same feelings every award day - we are a small volunteer dept that services over 4000 addresses and 120+ sq. miles and are in DIRE need of financial help for turn-outs and SCBAs. It kills me to see huge tax-based cities getting $250,000 grants when we have to have a fish fry just to buy a nozzle...Anyway - a question...In a county close to us, the depts. went in together as a county management agency and got an $80,000 grant. A dept. in that same county got an individual grant for $25,000. Is this fair? I don't know the particulars and in no way am I crying "cheaters" but I wonder if this is a common practice. If so, that can double your chances of getting a grant and we will do this next year. What do you figure?

Forum Member

Question Good Question Jim

I know it has been done, two of the frequent, award announcement pictures that come up on the usfa/fema screen when I log in to check grant status, are for 'co-operative' grant, one I remember is a (I think) Calif. group, for confined space rescue group, and the other is a smaller rural group I think for communications, oppps just remembered there a big one for a county (again I think Calif.) for training equipment. BCer or some others may know better the details, IF ths other dept. you mentioned is in the group that got a grant????? I wonder, if its a sperate organized group, like my county has a haz mat team, with members from multiple depts. maybe ok, but makes ya wonder don't it???? What do ya think BC and CR and anyone else.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Forum Member

Consider this type of situation:

Hotfire Vol. F&R is one of 6 chartered volunteer dept. in Coldwater County. They file a grant request under Hotfire VF&R name for SCBA's, turnouts, and nozzles. Hotfire Vol. F&R is governed by the Coldwater County Emergency Management Agency as are the other 5 depts. Coldwater County files a grant request under their Emergency Management Agency name for turnouts which very likley will obviously be divided out amongst the 6 depts (since it is an E.M.A. and not a "station"). Both Hotfire and Coldwater are awarded grants. Is this an option smaller rural volunteer depts should consider?

Forum Member

Seems like I read somewhere in this forum, probably last year, where it was stated that two or more departments could get together and decide what their area needed, and submit 1 application under 1 department's name. The application would describe the benefits to be realized for more than one department, through automatic/mutual aid.

I don't think that an EMA Office can (i.e. allowed by program rules) submit an application for the fire departments in their particular jurisdiction. And I also don't think that fire related groups/associations are allowed to submit a grant either.

Excerpts from the Guidance Document

“The purpose of the program is to award one-year grants directly to fire departments of a State to enhance their abilities with respect to fire and fire-related hazards. This program seeks to support departments that lack the tools and resources necessary to protect the health and safety of the public and their firefighting personnel with respect to fire and fire related hazards. Our primary goal is to provide assistance to meet fire departments’ firefighting needs.”

Eligible applicants for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program are limited to fire departments of a State . A “fire department of a State” is defined as an agency or organization that has a formally recognized arrangement with a State, local or tribal authority (city, county, parish, fire district, township, town or other governing body) to provide fire suppression to a population within a fixed geographical area .”

Fire stations that are not independent but are part of, or controlled by, or under the day-to-day operational direction of a larger fire department or agency are typically not eligible . Fire departments that are for-profit departments (i.e., do not have specific non-profit status or are not municipally based) are not eligible to apply for assistance under this program. Also not eligible for this program are ambulance services, rescue squads, auxiliaries, dive teams, urban search and rescue teams, fire service organizations or associations, and State/local agencies such as a forest service, fire marshal, hospitals, and training offices.”
    Grant me the strength to change things I can, accept what I can't, and to know the difference.

Thread Information