Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default Chieftain Helmets

I have been talking to a dealer and I have worked out a very good deal for some Chieftain helmets. We can pick any of the styles.

What I am looking for is a general review of these helmets. Do they have any glaring flaws, or are they servicable gear?

Here is a link to the Chieftain helmet website.

http://www.chieftainsafety.com/NewFi...ets-index.html

I am partial to the 1910 liberty edition helmet, very nice.
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 11-16-2003 at 11:33 AM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Ask them to tell you about the problems they had in late 2002 and early 2003 with their curing process. If they deny any problems, then tell them you do not want their helmets.

I am not passing this on due to rumors or allegations. This is a problem that has occurred and I know it is a FACT.... I can provide you with contacts that will confirm this.

In the time frame indicated above they had a problem with the curing process when the helmets were painted. I am not exactly sure what the problem was but here is what it caused....... The helmets would chip out severely, with the slightest contact. In some cases I saw chips of paint as large or larger than quarters flake off. The level of impact that caused this chipping varied from hiting it against the door of the pumper, bumping it on the windshield when laying it on the dash to dropping it accidently from short distances. They claimed the chipping was all superficial and did not damage the integrity.

I know of several departments in this area that experienced this problem. Getting them to first admit there was a problem was an astronomical task. After they finally admitted it, the next monumental task was to force them to make them good. I know one department that ordered oaver 100 of the Chieftain 1910 helmets and experienced this problem. It went on for more than 6-months and came to a head at the Winter Fire Chief's Show in Jacksonville in January of 2003. The Ops Chief and Fire Chief of the Department, with their Chieftain Sales Rep, confronted some of the primary figures from Chieftain and demanded satisfaction for the 100+ helmets they could not use. This was the end of Jaunary. They gauranteed replacement in two weeks and it did not happen. The Department called the factory in South Florida and told them to come and get them all and received credit from the Dealer the helmets came from. They then turned around and replaced them with another Traditional style helmet from the same dealer. This dealer (unlike others) contacted all the customers who had purchased in this time frame and informed them of the problem and took care of the problem by having them replaced or returning the helmets to the manufacturer and replacing them with another equivalent helmet.

They gauranteed the problem was fixed, yet a few helmets received after this was "fixed" still experienced chipping with the slightest contact to the outer shell. At that time they had no way of identifying who received the defective helmets.

I also know of another department in this area that bought 20 (+/-) of the 1910 helmets from a different dealer local dealer and had the same problems. However, this dealer never bothered to inform them of the defective process and had they not stumbled onto it accidently they would not have known. This fact along with the Manufacturers lack of concern and failure to repond to customer complaints makes me raise the red flag and say....NO!!!!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I have the 1910 Traditional Helmet. I won it at a convention. I don't like the way it feels. It sits too high and feels top-heavy. I've tried to adjust it everyway possible, but I can't make it any more comfortable. My department just got the 911 Warriors. They seem to be pretty decent helmets. We haven't been using them long enough to give a definite opinion. They seem to fit better than the traditional style helmets.

Hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Thanks a lot for the heads up Cap, I will make sure to ask about that. It is nice to have a decent looking helmet, big chuncks of paint missing is not in style IMO.

I havent had a chance to try them out yet, but I will make sure that we put some time in with them to get the feel and see if they are what we are looking for.

Thanks.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a 1910 that I got in Dec. 2002 and I have not had any problems with the paint.

I also got mine on a good deal from a local dealer. It's a decent helmet. A little heavy but it rides just fine.

I plan on replacing it with a New Yorker in the next couple years.

One thing you may want to check into is the Conway leathers that The Fire Store has on sale for $289
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

We bought a small quantity(12)to test run and almost immediately experienced a cracking where the brim is moulded to the crown.This happened on 9 of the 12.They were returned and the helmets were replaced by Cairns 1010.T.C.

Post More Info

I spoke to a Department that has had the "chipping out" problem on their helmets. Their problem has been ongoing for over 12 months and has yet to be corrected. The only way they even found out about it was that I was talking to them about what I had seen. The dealer did not even bother to tell them. Thought they would not notice. They are switching to another brand.

It is my understanding from a source in the industry that they are having internal problems that have kept them from correcting the issue.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Get a Phenix First Due...Thousands in use today.
    You saw a lot of them in action during the So.
    Cal. fire storms a couple weeks back. Here is
    their link-

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/mai...e=helmets.html

I've used this particular brand for 6 years, and never had any problems. Although the shields that come with them are easily shattered, and hard to replace! I've settled for a helmet w/ attached goggles. The first one I won as I guess and door prize at the Lancaster Co. Fire Expo. Much lighter than, and smaller than the department provided gear. Plus about 60 bucks cheaper, not that cost matters when it comes to safety, but if I'm paying...

Get a Ben Franklin II!!!

Cheaper, better quality and fits like a baseball cap!!

Thread Information