Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Pump Do You Prefer?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Electric

0 0%
  • Hydraulic

3 50.00%
  • Manual

2 33.33%
  • Electric/Hydraulic OR Manual/Electric

1 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Post Help On A Report!?!?!

I have a report due tomorrow for Fire Hydraulics and I am stuck... I have tried to find research all over the place on Electric/Hydraulic Pumps and Manual Pumps. I figured the next best thing to do would be to turn to my brothers and get some opinions and maybe some solid answers...So here it goes:

Explain the Difference between Electric/Hydraulic Pumps and Manual Pumps. Highlight their strong points and weak points and give an opinion as to why you think one is better over the other. Please support your decision with facts if possible...If facts aren't possible, back up your statement anyway you can!

Thanks Guys!
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

NEI

????

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Okay,

Let me get this straight,

#1 You've waited until the last minute to do your report.

#2 You want us to essentially do it for you complete with research, facts, and documentation.

Some balls kid.

I'm sure you can find the info you're looking for if you start burning bandwidth and do some real research. If you need help with a point or two fine, just ask, but don't come in asking for a complete assignment.

Looks like it's going to be an all-nighter for you eh?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Here, I'll help you.

When I operate a manual pump, I break into a sweat.
    When I operate an electric or hydraulic pump, I don't.

What kind of pump are you talking about? A fire pump? An extrication device pump? ????
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Duh, does this help.

Our manual pump operates at 1 x Man Power.

Our Extrication(hydraulic) is run by a 2 1/2 horsepower motor

Our Portable water pump is run by a 5 horsepower motor

Da problem here is with the manual pump, the motor gets tired.

On the other two, we just fill the petrol up and keep going.

You do the maths.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Angry I am not believing what I just read!!!

Okay,

Let me get this straight,

#1 You've waited until the last minute to do your report.

#2 You want us to essentially do it for you complete with research, facts, and documentation.

Some balls kid.

I'm sure you can find the info you're looking for if you start burning bandwidth and do some real research. If you need help with a point or two fine, just ask, but don't come in asking for a complete assignment.

Looks like it's going to be an all-nighter for you eh?
    I can't begin to believe anyone could be this rude!

# 1 I didn't wait until the last minute...I have tried to do some research on the topic, and have come to find along with the rest of my classmates that their is pretty much NO RESEARCH OUT THERE! I went on the reccommendation of my instructor to post it here on the forums and get other firefighters opinions. I was basing my report on the opinions of people in the field who have more pump experience than I do.

I never found the first bit of research on this topic...I searched the pump manufacturers websites, and even went to askjeeves to see if they had any kind of information on pump controls. All of my classmates who I've spoken with have ended up with the same results!

# 2 - I in NO WAY WHATSOEVER ASKED YOU TO DO IT ALL FOR ME!!! I am perfectly capable of doing my own report. I asked for your help and knowledge...obviously thats a department you're lacking in! EH?!?!?!

I'll have you know that I have been extremely busy and under extreme amounts of pressure this last week because my father collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital via EMS...Come to find out he has a staph infection in his blood stream and if you are any kind of son...I'm sure you would be next to his bedside at the hospital, and trying to run the family business in his abscence...Yeah...some balls!! All of this is going on while trying to get hired on a full time department or at one of the hospitals, working on an ems unit, and taking 15 hours of college classes...So as you can see...I'm just a little bit pressed for time!!

Did I mention any of that before???...NO...why not?? Because I didn't want to appear as though I were whining about the work load I had been given! But now I think you should know why I didn't have it done when I first posted this thread! The report was small...Only two pages...But I wanted to include a pie graph or something of that sort to show what the opinions of the people I interviewed were...That's why I posted a poll...I was just trying to go the extra mile and keep my grades up...I'd kinda like to keep my full ride scholarship and to do so, I have to maintain A's...

I AM EXTREMELY OFFENDED BY YOUR STATEMENTS!

THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE!

I thought this would be the one place I could come and get an honest answer from the people who I consider to be brothers and whom I hold in the highest of regards, yet all I got were smart alec answers...some of which were kind of funny!

BUT YOU SIR...YOU SET ME ON FIRE!!!

My question may not have been 100% clear but thats because I really didn't know quite how to word it...When I spoke of manual pumps I meant manual pump controls like on the older apparatus...before electronic and computerized pump controls were considered or introduced... This would be for CENTRIFUGAL PUMPS ON PUMPERS!

So if any of you can help me out before five o'clock this evening CST with some tidbits...I will for sure add it to my report and would greatly appreciate it!

Caldwell...I really did not appreciate what you said and feel like you were wayyyy out of line!

Thanks for those who helped!

Have a nice day everyone! Stay Safe!! Stay Low!! God Bless!!
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

Thumbs down

Don't get mad at us because you did not make yourself clear in the first place.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Unhappy I wasn't mad at you

Captain Gonzo,

I wasn't mad at you or any of the other people who posted with the exception of mcaldwell...

I feel his statements were extremely out of line and uncalled for! If you will notice I said though most comments were smart alec...They were funny! I also admitted that I most likely did not make myself clear because I didn't know quite how to word it myself!

Thank You!
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

Talking You can find anything in the forums

Check out these threads. They don't exactly follow your topic, but they both deal with pump electronics. Try using the search tool, there are probably more threads like these.

The Engineer Forum - "Pumping ops difference"

Firefighter's Forum"The Pressure Governor Broke…Now What???"

Forum Member

OK, since we're talking about centrifugal fire pumps on an apparatus (as opposed to a fire pump in a structure), I'll offer an opinion. I like the manual controls over the computerized/automatic ones, although I see the convenience of the other kind. But at least on the Sutphen engines we run with Hale pumps, the few we have with the pushbutton controls and the relief valve built into the throttle control, you can't finesse the throttle. Our setup increases in increments, rather than smoothly. I don't recall offhand what size increments they are, but let's say you want to operate the pump at 2100 rpm, and as you press the "increase" button you get to 2096 rpm. You hit the button one more time and the rpm goes to 2104 rpm. I'll grant you the difference is pretty much negligible, but it makes a couple psi of difference at the knob. Not that anyone would notice that, either. But with manual controls you can make the fine adjustments.

Of course, this means the pump operator has to know what he's doing, and that he has to set the relief valve properly as well as the intake and discharges.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

I can't begin to believe anyone could be this rude!
    Lighten up Francis

Lighten up Francis
    Sgt. Hulka with the big toe,.... is that you?!
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Have you searched fire engineering.com they usually cover such topics. Sorry I cannot give you any more help but i gladly would if I knew more on this subject. I believe in the brother hood. FTM PTB.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Caldwell...I really did not appreciate what you said and feel like you were wayyyy out of line!
    Well it looks like a hit a nerve. First of all, I am sorry if you had a bad week, but I cannot see through the monitor at your life (but that is neither here nor there anyway). I am normally quite happy to help people out when I can, but you presented your request in a manner that looked like you were trying to find the easy way out.

Explain the Difference between Electric/Hydraulic Pumps and Manual Pumps. Highlight their strong points and weak points and give an opinion as to why you think one is better over the other. Please support your decision with facts if possible...If facts aren't possible, back up your statement anyway you can!
    If you want help in the future, you are better served by giving us a summary of your paper so far, and asking for our further input. This shows that you have done the work, and are simply looking for an additional source or two. Plus it shows exactly where you are going with your arguments.

This forum is an excellent source of information, but the one thing that no one wants any part of is creating lazy, dangerous Firefighters who fake their way through life. We have all seen this happen before, and while their actions usually catch up to them, it is often their crew and the public who suffer the consequences.

In the future, be sure to clarify your position, and what you want from us, and you will get a much better response.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thumbs up Apology Accepted

Thank You!

I agree...I did kind of flare up...yes you did hit a nerve but in the same sense I can see where you are coming from and respect that.

My life has just been hell these last couple of weeks...IE:

Hiring Freeze for Firefighters & EMT's
    Bills Piling up
    Dad in Hospital w/ Possible Amputation
    Freshman year of college
    Fresh meat for the School of Hard Knocks
    4 Papers due in two weeks
    Trying to run a business I have no freaking clue how to run

So yeah I was a little stressed out and seeing your first post didn't help the situation.

But Thanks for the explanation and sorry for erupting! I have a tendency to flashover and then feel bad afterwards.
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

Thread Information