Default Man falls through river ice

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles...iq_2629692.prt

Dog's barking attracts rescuers to man in river

By Jeff Wilford
    January 7, 2004

CALEDONIA, WI - Wolf Korndoerfer was walking his dog, Duke, shortly after 8 o'clock Tuesday morning, as is his habit. He was walking Duke on the ice of the frozen Root River, as he had done before.
    In hindsight, it wasn't such a good idea.

The ice suddenly gave away beneath him and Korndoerfer, 3315 Patzke Lane, Caledonia, fell into the frigid water on a bitterly cold morning. Unable to touch the bottom, and unable to pull himself out because the ice kept breaking under his weight, Korndoerfer spent what he guessed was 15 minutes in the water before Racine firefighters arrived and pulled him to safety.

Everyone agrees Korndoerfer is lucky to be alive.

"I wouldn't expect somebody to last much more than 15 or 20 minutes, this time of year in freezing weather," said Dr. Jeffrey Manlove. Manlove, an emergency doctor at St. Luke's Hospital, did not treat

Korndoerfer.

"He's very lucky," said Battalion Chief Richard Moriarity, of the Racine Fire Department. "The dog saved his life,

actually."

When Korndoerfer fell in the water, Duke went "bananas," Korndoerfer said. The dog ran circles around him and barked incessantly, drawing the attention of neighbors along the Root River, at least one of whom called 911.

Korndoerfer fell through ice near the 4100 block of Mona Park Road. Firefighters received the rescue call at 8:14 a.m.

Korndoerfer was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center, where he was treated for hypothermia and sent home.

Korndoerfer, who owned Korndoerfer Construction before he retired, said he figured the ice was safe because temperatures had been so cold the last couple of days. Korndoerfer said he should have known better.

"It was kind of stupid of me," he said. "Today, I thought `Gee, it certainly ought to be safe by now.' And I was wrong."

Korndoerfer said he stopped trying to pull himself up once he knew someone had called 911 and conserved his energy.

Ironically, Korndoerfer said, he had imagined something like this happening. But he figured because the river is generally shallow, he would be able to use the bottom to help push himself out. He had the even worse luck of falling into the water over a channel, where the river was too deep to touch bottom.

As for Duke ...

Korndoerfer said his 9-month-old yellow Lab is a an aggressive, hyper dog. "His barking used to drive me crazy. We tried break him of it," Korndoerfer said. "But fortunately, we didn't."

And Korndoerfer's accident won't interfere with his regular morning walks with Duke. He plans to be walking the dog again this morning.

"You bet," Korndoerfer said, though assuring: "Not on the river."
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

Default Woman falls through ice

http://www.thechronicle.com/story_di...ory=Local+News

Woman OK after falling through ice

Sean O'Leary - Chronicle Staff Writer
    January 7, 2004

HEBRON, CT — The woman who fell through the ice Sunday at Gay City State Park wants the public to know she was not “that crazy lady running on the ice”.

Elissa Edson, 47, of Manchester, was pulled from the partly frozen pond at the park after trying to save her two golden retrievers, Hunter and Gordon.

“I had just finished a three-mile, cross country run with my dogs, which I always do,” said Edson. “They saw some dogs about 50 feet away and I gave them permission to go play.

“When they came back to me, they took the shortest distance, which took them over the ice.”

The thin ice below the first dog that came toward Edson gave way and the dog became submerged, she said.

“The first dog fell in and then the second dog went in to rescue him, thankfully I was able to keep the third one, Indie, from going in,” said Edson. “I knew that the situation was serious and started plotting my strategy.”

Edson said she began to lay out tree limbs and branches in an effort to get closer to the dogs.

“I got within five feet and I started to realize the dogs might be giving up,” said Edson. “So I started giving them commands so that they wouldn’t. I wasn’t even concerned about myself by the time the rescue team came.”

The rescue team did indeed come to pull Edson and the two dogs from the pond.

“I had severe hypothermia so I probably wasn’t thinking straight, but I didn’t want to go when they came,” said Edson. “My heart just sunk because I thought I was leaving them.”

All three, however, were saved and are doing well. Edson was taken to Manchester Hospital where she was released Sunday afternoon.

Default Firefighters practice ice rescues

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/news...es01082004.htm

Firefighters practice ice rescues

By Melissa Beecher / Tribune Staff Writer
    January 8, 2004

WALTHAM, MA -- As the mercury dipped yesterday, so too did several Waltham firefighters -- into the icy waters of the Charles River.
    Practicing mock ice rescues on the frozen portions of the river along Forest Grove Street, members of the department continued their annual week-long training session.

Diving into the 40-degree water, two firefighters in red diving suits played the role of victims as other members of the department attempted to "save" them.

"Every year around this time, when there is the potential for people falling through the ice, we run ice rescue drills as a refresher course for the firefighters," said Lt. Ronald Belida.

With temperatures dipping into the teens yesterday, firefighters were at the training site for nearly an hour.

Wearing waterproof suits, two men floated in the water as the rescuers used ropes, boats and sleds to maneuver themselves over the thin ice for a well-choreographed rescue.

"When you get out to a person that has been submerged in the water for a 10- to 15-minute period, they have virtually no mobility," said Capt. Cliff Richardson yesterday at the training site. "We are basically dragging up dead weight."

Firefighters said although no one has fallen through ice patches in the city in recent memory, they need to be prepared for such an emergency is important.

"There are always people that go out ice fishing or ice skating on ice that is not completely solid," said Belida. "For those people, we really have to be prepared in case we're needed."

Every member of the Waltham Fire Department will be trained. Fire officials said working in shifts, every man will be reacquainted with the ice rescue protocol.

Fire officials said despite the preparation, residents should err on the side of caution during the winter months.

"We tell residents that although it's going to be cold in the next couple of days, natural bodies of water will not necessarily be frozen solid," said Belida. "If people want to ice skate, they should really use a skating rink to prevent possible problems."

Default Winter Water Rescue Training

http://www.ksfy.com/Global/story.asp...2&nav=0w0jK6qv

Winter Water Rescue Training
    January 11, 2004

Sioux Falls, SD --The temperatures are cold and in most areas, the ice is thick. It's good news for ice fishermen and other people who enjoy activities out on the ice, and it's also good news for Sioux Falls Fire Rescue.

Training for an ice rescue is no laughing matter. It's something Fire Rescue crews take seriously every year. Todd Lowe explains their dedication to working in freezing cold waters, "It keeps us proficient and it enables us to rescue individuals in a timely, safe manner." The temperature of the water they practiced in on Friday was about 38-degrees. Crews were well equipped to handle the extreme conditions, but caution that the average person out for a day of ice fishing will not be so well prepared.

Captain Jay Titus recommends the best thing to keep in mind if you find yourself trapped in frigid water: the more you panic and move around, the quicker hypothermia will set in and "If you do a total submersion, it doesn't take long to lose motor function" and you won't be able to rescue yourself.

Rescuers hope the skills they practice will never be needed in real life. Todd Lowe points out that's where you come in, by "Knowing the lay of the lake and what makes weak spots - springs, shallow water or water traveling over points. Also, with the fluctuation of temperatures, it does create areas that are weak." It's also a good idea to carry ice awls with you. Should you end up in the water, it will be slippery and difficult to pull yourself up onto the ledge. Ice awls will help you.

Rescue crews also recommend a whistle to signal someone to your aid in an emergency. But, Captain Jay believes the best advice of all is "If you're going out on the ice, always go with a partner. That way, if you get into trouble, someone will be there to get help." They also advise using your own judgement if you see someone fall into the water. If you can throw something to them or reach them from the shore, then go ahead and try to help. But, if helping means putting yourself in danger, call for help and wait for crews to arrive. They don't want to have to pull more than one person out of the water.

By: Shannon Stevens

Default Horse saved from icy death

http://www.decaturdailydemocrat.com/...ews/news02.txt

Geneva FD saves horse which fell through ice

Friday, January 9, 2004

Geneva, IN -- A full-grown horse that fell through ice and became trapped in water as high as its back was rescued, about a mile east of Geneva, by teamwork from Amish residents and members of the Geneva Fire Department early Thursday afternoon.

Curt Chaffins, a veteran Geneva firefighter, told the Daily Democrat that the horse is two or three years old and did not appear injured after the ordeal, but was shaking from being in the cold water for an undetermined time.

Chaffins says no one knows how long the horse was in the water before someone driving by on what used to be State Rd. 116 saw the animal and reported its predicament.

Geneva police were sent to the scene and quickly called for firefighters to assist.

Once the department arrived, said Chaffins, members of the Amish community entered the frigid water and hooked a strap around the horse's torso, then a winch on a fire truck pulled the animal to safety on land.

The rescue operation took 20 to 25 minutes once the department arrived at the scene, it was estimated by Chaffins..

Default Firefighters Rescue Sitting Ducks

Firefighters Rescue Sitting Ducks

Scott Schwebke

January 7, 2004

MONTROSE,CO - Fifteen fowls belonging to Wayne and Peg King literally became sitting ducks when they were attacked by dogs Monday night at the Riverbend RV Park near Montrose.

Nine ducks were killed while six more that were injured were rescued Tuesday morning by Montrose Fire Protection District personnel from a frozen pond at the park on Old Chipeta Trail. Four other ducks were unharmed.

The 15 ducks were attacked by a pair of dogs spotted roaming through the park, said Peg King, who co-owns Riverbend with her husband.

Riverbend employees discovered the dead or injured ducks on or near the pond when they went to feed them around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Peg King expected only one of the rescued ducks to survive and hopes the dogs' owners can be located so they can pay restitution.

"I feel badly for the animals injured, but I feel sadder for the people who own dogs and don't take care of them," she said, adding a report has been filed with the Montrose County Sheriff's Office.

MFPD personnel arrived at Riverbend shortly after 10:30 a.m. Tuesday to rescue the surviving ducks.

Two firefighters, who wore ice rescue suits and secured themselves with ropes, made their way across the frozen pond and retrieved the ducks.

"The ice was thick enough that they didn't break through," said MFPD Battalion Chief Allen Weese.

Peg King praised the firefighters for their efforts to save the ducks.

"They are wonderful fellows and go far beyond the call of duty," she said. "Montrose should be grateful to have such a responsible and caring bunch of firefighters."

MFPD personnel have been certified to perform ice rescues since the early 1990s but have never had to save a human, said Weese. However, they have been called to rescue various animals, including horses, dogs and deer.

"We are willing to do it, as long as we are not putting a firefighter in danger," said Weese, regarding animal rescues.

Contact Scott Schwebke via e-mail

Default Animal rescue not worth human risk

Sunday, January 11, 2004

Officials say rescue efforts are too dangerous and often futile

Michael A. Sawyers
    Times-News Staffwriter

CUMBERLAND, MA — Neither the Cumberland Fire Department nor the Maryland Department of Natural Resources considers it an emergency if a deer wanders into the Wills Creek flood control project, and neither agency will attempt to remove the animal.

The dangers to rescuers of wildlife are real. A few years ago a DNR employee in Garrett County died after falling onto and through a lake’s ice cover as he attempted to reach a loon that appeared to be stuck.

“The risk to humans and even the risk to the animal is not worth it,” said Rande Brown of the Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service. “The only reasons to ever handle a wild animal are if public safety is threatened or if it is in the best interest of the animal. Neither of those apply to a deer in the flood control project.”

Brown said about once a year his office gets the deer-in-the-flood-control call.

The Cumberland Fire Department gets similar calls, according to Chief William Herbaugh.

“The people want us to get the deer out. Sometimes the people themselves try to get the deer out,” he said. “That’s usually a fiasco. They see an animal flailing and believe that we have to do something. People see it as an emergency. We don’t.”

The water in the flood control can go from inches to feet overnight, Brown said. “That alone creates a dangerous situation. Besides, when a deer sees a human coming close it doesn’t know the human is trying to help. It’s either going to try to get away or fight.”

Brown said that a robust deer in the flood control can easily walk or swim to the mouth of Wills Creek where it can leave the area along the Potomac River.

“Most deer that are in the flood control are already hurt in some way,” he said, adding that, with one exception, all deer rescued from the project eventually died, often hours later, from the stress of the effort.

“It is quite possible that a deer in the flood control project could die there,” Brown said. “We don’t rehabilitate deer. It doesn’t make sense to put that kind of effort into one deer when you consider how many deer are in Allegany County. Almost 10,000 of them die in a year from hunting and being struck by automobiles.”

“If a deer gets in the flood control and a bunch of people are standing around watching it, we’re probably going to ask the crowd to disperse,” Herbaugh said. “If someone actually enters the flood control to try to rescue the deer, there is the possibility they would be prosecuted for trespass.”

Default Man becomes victim in attempt to rescue dog

http://bim.printthis.clickability.co...artnerID=21357

Water Rescue
    Man becomes victim in attempt to rescue dog

KAKE News
    January 11, 2004

Wichita, KA -- A man tries to rescue his dog out of icy water, but he soon needed to be rescued himself. It happened just outside of Council Grove Thursday afternoon.

Henry Wessel and his neighbor John Hanson have only spoken a couple times, but there is a deep bond between them.

On Thursday, John’s dog Checkers ran out onto an ice-covered lake while chasing geese. The dog fell through the ice into the water. John dove in to help. He was trapped in the icy water for 25 minutes. It was all he could do to hang onto a buoy and keep his head above water.

Henry just happened to look out his window and see John struggling in the water. He grabbed his wife Bea and ran out to see what he could do. The 73-year-old tried to throw a rope out to John but it wouldn't reach. He climbed in his canoe, scooted it onto the ice and threw the rope again. This time, John caught it.

If John had been in the water just a few more minutes, it could have been too late. He was taken to the hospital for observation. They released him the next day.

As for the dog, she also made it out thanks to Henry. He went back in a second time to save her too.

Default Girls fall through ice

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...t/112seyt4.htm

Girls fall through ice

Daily Southtown
    Sunday, January 11, 2004

PALOS HILLS , IL -- Two 15-year-old girls fell through the ice at Bullfrog Lake in Palos Hills on Saturday afternoon, though neither were hurt, fire officials said.

The girls were sledding near the lake when they slid about 15 feet onto the ice, said Battalion Chief Rocky Carlson of the North Palos Fire Protection District.

A passer-by helped pull the girls from the waist-deep water. A witness' initial call to police prompted fire officials to call for backup from the Palos Heights Fire Department's rescue squad.

The squad was told to turn back before reaching the lake, fire officials said.

The girls were treated on the scene by paramedics and didn't need to be hospitalized, Carlson said.

Default Men lucky to be alive, surviving sub-zero temps

http://www.wtvw.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable

Rescued man and friend lucky to be alive

January 10, 2004
    Reporter: Casey Stegall

Evansville, IN -- It is hard for many of us to imagine surviving sub-zero weather overnight.

Yet, we've seen it twice now this week---people living to tell their amazing stories. "It was very scary and very cold," said Steven Soell, 39. Soell admits he never feared for his own life, but thought he'd never see his buddy, Kenny Collins, again.

"I heard him screaming, and then I called out to him," Soell said, "and that's the last I heard from him."

Soell claims aside from the water being ice cold, the current was swift and too much to handle.

"I weigh 210 pounds, and that water was throwing me around like a rag doll," he said.

Because of those unpredictable waters, Soell tried convincing his friend to not battle the current. But Soell claims his friend didn't listen. "He told me to just keep going," Soell said, "but I turned around and walked the other way. A short time later I tried to find him, and he was gone."

With trash bags wrapped around his feet, not a person in sight, and his friend now missing---Soell had a plan.

"I thought I should make a fire with tires to create a lot of smoke," he said. Hours later, a duck hunter answered Soell's smoke signal call for help, and his prayers were answered.

"I consider myself kind of lucky," Soell said, "but I consider my friend very lucky." Soell was treated and released from Deaconess Hospital. Collins, 40, was treated for hypothermia and shock at St. Mary's Hospital. He was released Saturday morning.

Default Two die in ice-fishing accident

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/7689380.htm

Two die in ice-fishing accident

BY TIM POTTER
    The Wichita Eagle

Jan. 12, 2004

Wichita, KS -- A weekend ice-fishing trip turned deadly when two elderly Inman men apparently fell through thinning ice at Cheney Reservoir, a popular spot for winter anglers, authorities said Sunday.

By midday Sunday, after searches by helicopter, emergency workers using boats and ropes recovered the men's bodies where they had apparently broken through ice in a relatively deep part of the lake, Reno County Sheriff Randy Henderson said.

The men who died, Joe Goodson, 78, and Elmer Schmidt, 81, had been missing since Saturday evening.

Schmidt, one of the two men who died, was an avid ice fishermen and had been to the lake Wednesday, then returned Saturday, said a daughter-in-law, Elaine Schmidt.

Schmidt and Goodson -- friends who lived just a few apartments apart at a retirement center in Inman -- went to the reservoir around 9 a.m. Saturday.

The men were last seen at the lake around 1:30 p.m. Saturday, when other fishermen left because they thought the ice had become too thin, Sheriff Henderson said.

When Schmidt went ice-fishing, he would pull his equipment out onto the ice with a sled, Elaine Schmidt said. He also would leave the tailgate down on his 1983 Ford pickup as a sign that he was out on the lake.

When the two men did not return to their McPherson County homes by sunset, relatives contacted a friend, who found the pickup parked near the northwest edge of the lake.

The tailgate was down.

A helicopter search Saturday night failed to locate the men. But an air search Sunday morning found a hole in the ice about 300 yards from shore, with what looked like fishing equipment around it, Henderson said.

Cheney Fire Department rescue teams used two boats and ropes to ease out onto the ice.

At the ice hole, the teams found the men's bodies.

The men had apparently fallen through the ice. The sled hung from the ice partly into the frigid water, which was at least 8 feet deep. The site is at an original river bed, where the water is deeper and the flow is stronger.

Default Women safe after ATV falls through ice

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/...ews/news09.txt

Two women safe after ATV falls through ice

By Greg D'Andrea, Enterprise correspondent

January 12, 2004

NORTON, MA — Two women whose all-terrain vehicle fell through the ice on a pond off Route 140 on Sunday afternoon were able to get out of the frigid water before rescuers arrived.

At about 4 p.m., ice skaters and ice fisherman saw two women on a ATV fall through the ice.

Lt. Al Briand of the Norton Fire Department said the two women were riding the ATV on the ice when they suddenly fell in.

The women, both from Dedham, were visiting family and friends who lived near the pond and were able to return to the house on their own.

Paramedics were sent to the house, and the Fire Department launched its hovercraft vehicle to check the pond.

One of the victims was identified as Hope Johnson of 24 Mill St., Dedham. The other woman was not identified. She was taken by family members to Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro as a precaution before paramedics arrived.

The Fire Department had three divers on standby at the scene but they were not used as it was confirmed by witnesses and one of the victims that both women had gotten out of the water.

Briand said the Fire Department launched the hovercraft to check the entire pond as a safety precaution. Firefighters cleared the pond of a number of skaters and ice fishermen because the ice was not safe.

"The ice is absolutely not safe," said Briand. "We don't recommend anyone going on it."

The ice was only an inch thick where the women went through and in some parts it was reported as still being slushy and not frozen said Briand.

Briand cautioned that the ice is not safe because of the warmer temperatures that preceded the current cold snap.

Default Ice Fisherman Rescued

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_ne...XYZ_15924_2573
    185,00.html

Ice Fisherman Rescued

By Anu PrakashChristine Lasek

January 13, 2004

St. Clair, MI -- There were anxious moments on Lake St. Clair Tuesday when more than a dozen fishermen were rescued from three different sites after being stranded on the ice. Yet, despite the tense moments and several rescues, there are still many people out ice fishing.

The fire chief in Ira Township said crews rescued three ice fisherman Tuesday morning. There was another man who fell into the water and was pulled to safety by another fisherman, and nine people were rescued from an ice flow in Harrison Township.

Roy Foggo, one of the rescued fishermen, recounted his story to told Action News. "I heard somebody yell and I looked out my window of the shanty and saw a couple of guys running and then I realized why I had a current. The ice was flowing out. So we all tried to make it to the point down here but by the time we got close, the ice had split away from there, too."

The fire chief told Action News that no injuries were reported, but said that these rescues are testaments to the fact that the ice is not thick enough to be safe. The wind has also picked up in the lake area, and is contributing to the ice’s fragility.

People who must go out on the ice are urged to take all the precautions possible. In the meantime, rescue crews are on standby mode until they receive the all clear from the coast guard that there are no more stranded fisherman.

Default ATV plunges through ice

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/artic...city/city5.txt

ATV plunges through Norton ice

January 14, 2004

NORTON, MA -- A day after two women rescued themselves after falling through ice on the Norton Reservoir, Fire Chief George Burgess is warning residents to stay off the ponds in town.

Firefighters were called about 3 p.m. Sunday for the incident near a portion of the reservoir off Route 140 near Freeman Street, said Burgess.

Rescue officials found the all-terrain vehicle submerged in the water. The fire department hover craft and a dive team were dispatched before officials determined that the riders made it out of the water safely, Burgess said.

Fire officials say Hope Johnson of Dedham and Nancy Davis of Boston, believed to be in their 30s, were riding the vehicle on the reservoir when one of them fell through the ice.

The other woman fell in while trying to rescue her friend before both managed to make it out of the 10-foot by 10-foot hole.

Davis was treated at Sturdy Memorial Hospital for a cut to her chin. Johnson declined treatment at the scene.

Burgess said the town has a rink on Harvey Street, which residents should use instead of skating or walking across the reservoir and other ponds in town.

`` Keep off the ponds. Some days they're safe, and other days they're not,'' the fire chief said.

Fire officials warn that falling through the ice causes the body temperature to fall, sapping a person's energy to help themselves out of frigid water.
    Last edited by H2oAirRsQ; 01-14-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Default Ice floes put 15 people into chilly bay

Ice floes put 15 people into chilly Anchor Bay

By JEREMY W. STEELE
    Times Herald

IRA TWP., MI -- Fifteen people had to be rescued Tuesday morning from western Anchor Bay after a giant sheet of ice broke away from shore.

The U.S. Coast Guard and local authorities said many of the men emerged from their fishing shanties after a brief snowstorm to find hundreds of yards of open water separating them from shore.

No injuries were reported.

In St. Clair County's Ira Township, three fishermen were rescued from an ice floe off Swan Creek Point in Fair Haven. Nearby, officials said another man was rescued by fishermen after his snowmobile fell through the ice.

"They knew something wasn't right when they felt the ice move," said Lt. William Krul of the St. Clair County Sheriff Department.

In Macomb County, nine people were rescued from the ice near Metro Beach Metropark in Harrison Township. Authorities also had to pull two people from the ice near Brandenburg Park in Chesterfield Township.

The ice floe was caused by fluctuating temperatures, which broke the ice from shore, and high winds, which blew the ice south into open water.

"It all depends on weather," said Coast Guard Lt. Patti Mitrowski, commander of the St. Clair Shores station.

Mitrowski and other local authorities said some fishermen had noticed cracks in the ice earlier in the day.

"Sometimes these guys think they can get across, but then they can't always get back," she said.

Ira Township resident Nancy Rickel, 41, said the ice broke from the shore in front of her Long Island Court home shortly after 8 a.m. The force of the floe tore several neighbors' metal ladders -- which could be seen sticking out of the edge of the ice -- from their sea walls.

"You could hear it crack," Rickel said. "It shook this whole island."

Her sister-in-law, Robbin Bates, 42, said she saw the ice move from her home near the tip of Swan Creek Point.

"It took off like a sailboat," she said.

Ira Township firefighters used their rescue boat to investigate eastern Anchor Bay for further breaks that could endanger fishermen, who remained on intact sections of ice a few hundred yards from the flashing lights of emergency vehicles on the shore.

"We tell them it's unsafe, but as far as forcing them, we don't have the authority to force them off the ice," Krul said.

Fishermen coming off the ice near the public boat launch in Fair Haven, east of the problematic section of ice, said they felt safe on their section of ice.

"The ice always breaks over there by the point," said Jason Uppleger, 24 of Marysville.

Default 4 fishermen stranded

http://www.wisinfo.com/postcrescent/...14178755.shtml

Jan. 15, 2004

Fishermen Stranded

High winds split ice, fishermen on bay of Green Bay
    Wednesday ordeal ends with rescue by Coast Guard crew

By Paul Brinkmann
    Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

BRUSSELS — Four fishermen who were trapped on moving ice Wednesday for two hours in the bay of Green Bay said the ice was stable with little wind that morning.

By 11 a.m., however, the wind started howling, and they noticed a hole opening up between them and the shore near Chaudoir’s Dock in southern Door County.

“We couldn’t see 15 feet in front of us, it was blowing so hard,” fisherman Tom Grosbeier, 33, said. “The wind came up so quick.”

The men from Door and Kewaunee counties were rescued about 2:10 p.m. near Chaudoir’s Dock by a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter from Traverse City, Mich.

Grosbeier’s companions were Dennis Buhr, 51, Tim Buhr, 33, and Cory Cornette. The men said they would continue to go ice fishing, but they’d be more careful about watching the weather next time. Although the ice was solid when they left, high winds broke it up quickly.

Grosbeier said the group huddled downwind from their two parked all-terrain vehicles while snow formed a protective glaze on their jackets. All four refused medical treatment after an examination by the Coast Guard.

Rescue agencies and the fishermen gave this account:

Riding two all-terrain vehicles, the four men left the shoreline about 8 a.m. after testing the ice thickness to about 12 inches in several places. They put their portable shack near five or six other shacks.

Inside the shack, the men fished for three hours and caught several fish. They noticed the wind picking up, but didn’t worry much about it.

Around noon, the group tried to reach shore through limited visibility and realized their problem.

High winds broke up the ice and shoved it toward shore, leaving some open water and some shifting mounds of shove ice.

The group checked its Global Positioning Satellite unit and dialed 911 on a cell phone at 12:25 p.m. The Door County Sheriff’s Department responded with a hovercraft and rescue team.

The sheriff’s department was unable to help because ice was stacked 20 to 30 feet high, a “mountain,” according to Sheriff Terry Vogel. The Coast Guard was notified, and a helicopter left Air Station Traverse City at 1:14 p.m. CST.

The helicopter arrived at 2:10 p.m. Because of weight limits, only three fishermen could go at once. A fourth, Dennis Buhr, was left behind with a Coast Guard member in a thermal wet suit. All four were safe at Door County Cherryland Airport by 3 p.m.

Default Man Still Critical After Rescue

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/2766792/detail.html

Man Still Critical After Rescue From Icy Pond

January 15, 2004

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A Baltimore County man is still in critical condition after he was rescued from an icy pond near Owings Mills.

The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon in the 4500 block of Painters Mill Road.

Martin McKibbin, 76, was trying to get his dog from the pond when he called for help. A Baltimore County police officer and three other men crawled out on the ice to help him, but the ice gave way -- sending all four into six-feet of water. They finally reached McKibbin and pulled him out.

The dog got out on its own.

McKibbin was in cardiac arrest and was taken to Northwest Hospital Center. He lives near the pond on the campus of the McDonough School -- where he also teaches history.

Default Charge for rescue services?

http://www.freep.com/voices/editoria...5_20040115.htm

Detroit Free Press
    Detroit, MI

Charge for rescue services?

For safety's sake, add a fee, preach common sense

January 15, 2004

Sure as winter comes to Michigan every year, fishermen get caught on breakaway ice. Fifteen were set adrift Tuesday on Lake St. Clair. Rescuing them is a costly and dangerous undertaking for public safety agencies and the Coast Guard.

Several years ago, after a high-six-figures rescue, the Legislature briefly considered a bill authorizing police to ticket anglers who ignored obvious hazards to venture out on the ice. The legislation died, in part because deciding whether someone took a needless risk can be a pretty tough call in a place where weather turns so quickly.

But there is a method the state should consider to help local officials meet this responsibility -- which, by the way, they accept and prepare for each year.

The Department of Natural Resources should look at adding, for a small fee, an ice-fishing endorsement to Michigan fishing licenses. The state sells about 2.5 million licenses each year. Residents pay $27 and nonresidents $41 for unlimited fishing. Anglers who also intend to ice-fish might be charged an extra $3, with the additional revenue going to law enforcement agencies for equipment, training and the cost of ice rescues. The money could be distributed through grants, or based on a formula that might include the number of ice permits issued to residents of a given county.

Public safety agencies aren't complaining about this work. Their primary concern is saving lives. But with their budgets strained and homeland security responsibilities piling up, this is something the state ought to do without being asked.

Default Cold weather havoc

http://www.townonline.com/beverly/ne...ld01152004.htm

Cold weather havoc

Thursday, January 15, 2004

Beverly, MA -- The return to frigid weather this week could bring about water and medical emergencies, warned the Beverly Fire Department, which cautioned people against starting their cars in the garage and allowing them to run and presenting a carbon monoxide poisoning hazard. In addition, public safety officials warned against the hazards of frozen pipes, wood stove fires and skating on thin ice.

People who have not already done so should make sure that pipes in unheated areas of the house are properly insulated. It is equally important for those who discover frozen pipes in their house to use proper thawing techniques. Never use a torch to thaw pipes, said BFD Public Relations Officer Pete O'Connor.

"If you are unsure of the best method, call your plumber. A couple hundred dollars in plumbing fees will be nothing compared to a tragic fire," said O'Connor.

Frozen pipes have already caused severe water damage across the city. Sprinkler pipes broke at Endicott College, 59 Park St., 33 Enon St., and at China Jade restaurant on Dodge Street.

The fire department also cautioned against the use of wood and pellet stoves that have not been cleaned. Check the serviceability of their stoves before firing them up, said O'Connor. Byproducts of combustion lining the vents and the machines can catch fire if the unit is not serviced by a licensed technician annually.

O'Connor also suggested checking on neighbors or friends who may need assistance during extreme temperatures. Or, if they are unable to reach them and there is reason for concern, let someone know.

Fire department divers responded to a call at Chebacco Lake on Tuesday. "Even though rescuers were not needed, the call shows the importance of knowing the ice thickness and self rescue techniques," said O'Connor. Contact the Department of Fire Services for their Ice Safety Flyer.

Default Hope fades for Tennessee resident

http://www.southbendtribune.com/stor...ier__waves.sto

January 14, 2004

Hope fades for Tennessee resident
    Pier, waves deadly duo

By ADAM JACKSON
    Tribune Staff Writer

ST. JOSEPH, MI -- During a blustery winter day, the shores of Lake Michigan offer a stark and beautiful picture of the power of nature.

But that beauty can hide a deadly danger for the unlucky or unwary, as the family of a Selmer, Tenn., man discovered in a truly tragic way Monday evening.

Joel Johnson, 30, was missing and presumed drowned Tuesday after a trip to the city of St. Joseph's Tiscornia Park with members of his family Monday evening.

Police say the victim, originally from the St. Joseph area, was back in town to visit family, and had told others who accompanied him to the park that he wanted to venture onto the pier at the park to get a last look at the crashing surf before leaving.

But when he didn't return in 20 minutes, family members contacted police. And despite a massive search effort Monday evening involving both police and Coast Guard personnel, not a trace of Johnson could be found.

By Tuesday afternoon, there remained little hope that he would be found alive.

"At this point, we are approaching it as a recovery operation," St. Joseph police Sgt. Rick Smiedendorf said during ongoing search efforts Tuesday. "In these conditions, once you are in the water, the chances for survival are just not good.

"Our hearts really go out to the family," he said.

Weather conditions at the park both Monday and Tuesday included high winds, high waves, and below freezing temperatures. The pier at the park is designed to bear the brunt of those waves, protecting the inlet into the city's harbor.

But that also means the pier has waves and spray washing over it during bad weather, creating thick ice deposits that can cause pier walkers to slip into the water, as well as a danger of being swept from the structure by a high wave. Authorities believe that is what may have happened to Johnson.

"It's really dangerous out there sometimes," Smiedendorf said. "But there are people who like to go out there anyway.

"We're trying to tell them it's better to just stay on the beach and watch the waves from there," he said.

Despite the rough conditions and a water temperature pegged at 33 degrees Fahrenheit by the thermometer at the Coast Guard station in St. Joseph, rescuers spared no effort in their attempt to find Johnson alive Monday night.

Braving eight-foot swells and a biting wind, search parties paced the pier and nearby beaches while Coast Guard personnel employed an Aerospatiale HH-65A Dolphin short-range rescue helicopter and a 47-foot motor lifeboat to comb the nearby waters.

"We were employing all our searchlights and had everybody on deck searching," Coast Guard Chief Eric Lepley, describing the motor lifeboat operation, said. "We got as close in to shore as the water depth would allow.

"It's always disappointing when a search is unsuccessful, you really want to at least give the family some closure," Lepley said.

Members of Johnson's family were reportedly on their way to Tennessee Tuesday afternoon to be with the victim's wife, whose name was not released.

In the meantime, the grim work of the searchers continued. Smiedendorf said that weather conditions prevented employing the county dive team in the search, although they would still likely be used if there was a break in the weather. Until then, searchers will make sporadic checks of the beach and pier area on car and foot.

And they would hope that the tragedy might prevent others from a serious danger that has claimed lives in the past. The problem of accidents on the city's two piers has prompted, Smiedendorf said, the production of a pier safety video which was premiered, ironically, at a municipal meeting Monday night.

But Peter Fuller, a St. Joseph resident who often jogs through Tiscornia Park with his dog, said no video -- or tragedy -- will prevent some people from venturing out on the pier during storms.

"I see them out there all the time," he said Tuesday. "Personally, I think they're crazy."

Staff writer Adam Jackson

Default Search continues in lake for missing snowmobiler

http://www.kstp.com/article/view/126156/

Search continues in Lake Superior for missing snowmobiler

01-16-2004

ASHLAND, Wis. - A search will resume at daylight for a snowmobiler who fell through the ice of Lake Superior.
    A snow plow driver spotted a set of lights going down in the water around 2:15 a.m. Thursday in Chequamegon Bay in Ashland, Wisconsin. Crews later found a boot, a mitten and a helmet near a hole in the ice.

Strong currents are making the search difficult for divers.

"There's a tremendous amount of current out here that was around the breakwall and that's what carried the open water," said Ashland Fire Chief Keith Tviet. "The ice conditions on the breakwall are never safe."

The missing snowmobiler has not been identified. Authorities say he or she probably got disoriented in the snow and got too close to the bad spots in the ice near the breakwall and power plant.

"People are pretty much aware if the fact this is not a good place to travel," said Ashland County Sheriff John Kovach.

A snowmobiler drowned in the same spot in Ashland 13 years ago.

Default Man Dies While Ice Fishing

http://www.10nbc.com/news.asp?templa...story_id=10056
    Channel 10 News - NBC
    January 18, 2004

Man Dies While Ice Fishing

Irondequoit, PA -- There was a dangerous rescue attempt for firefighters in Irondequoit on Saturday. A man who was ice fishing on Irondequoit Bay had a massive heart attack. Firefighters were not sure the ice would hold. No one actually went through the ice, but fire fighters approached the situation the same way they would if someone had.
    They wore special suits, tethered themselves with ropes and put their special training to work. Several Irondequoit Bay neighbors woke up to an ice fisherman having a massive heart attack out on the bay. As his family looked on, fire fighters fought to save him but they were working in tough and dangerous conditions. There were three inches of slush and over 6 inches of ice. The firefighters weren't sure the ice would hold.
    Point Pleasant Fire Chief Dave Herring says his crew was prepared. In fact on Friday night they had a drill for this type of situation. Captain John Cullati trains the men who go out on the ice. The chief says their plan ran smoothly, unfortunately the man's heart attack was too massive and he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Default FD uses airboat to rescue men from sinking truck

http://www.wisinfo.com/postcrescent/...14198671.shtml

Jan. 16, 2004

Two area men rescued from sinking truck

WEYAUWEGA, WI — Two ice fishermen were rescued unharmed Thursday eve-ning after their pickup truck broke through the ice on Partridge Crop Lake.
    Weyauwega Fire Chief James Baehnman said the men, Timothy Kelly of Kaukauna and Mark Hungerford of Little Chute, were returning from ice fishing on the Wolf River around 6:30 p.m.
    They lost their way in the dark and their pickup broke through the ice about 400 yards from shore.
    The two scrambled through the windows as the truck sank to within one foot of the roof.
    The men got the attention of someone on the shore, who called the fire department.
    Firefighters fixed their location with the aid of a thermal imaging camera and called in the Tustin Volunteer Fire Department airboat to complete the rescue.

The men were brought ashore about 8:30 p.m.

Default Rescue teams search lake for missing snowmobiler

http://www.news12.com/NewCDA/article...2%26id%3D99169

Search and rescue teams search Lake Hopatcong for missing snowmobiler

(01/17/04)

JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP - An experienced snowmobile rider last seen in the Henderson Cove Section on Lake Hopatcong is missing. State police and friends fear he and his vehicle plunged through the ice.

Search and rescue teams rode all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) across the lake on Saturday, looking for 46-year-old Thomas Stafford of Jefferson Township or his snowmobile. State police say they are focusing their search on a break in the frozen lake between Racoon and Halsey Islands.

On Thursday night, he took a snowmobile ride with his friend along the lake. Stafford's friend stopped to visit someone on shore. When he returned, Stafford and his snowmobile were gone, and now Stafford's friends and wife believe the lake ice broke and he fell in. They think he may have failed in an attempt to skip a pocket of water, a common maneuver. There are spots on the lake that are not frozen.

State police had helicopters up in the air on Friday searching for Stafford. They would like to bring in divers, but police say it is too dangerous with the frigid temperatures. They say the earliest that may happen is Monday.

News 12 New Jersey learned that Stafford was an expert snowmobile driver, riding in Canada for years.

Default Rescuers pull man from logjam in river

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sit...ry/html/153930

Rescuers pull man from logjam in river

2004-01-18
    by Lori Varosh
    Journal Reporter

A man was stuck on a logjam in the Green River west of Black Diamond Saturday, triggering a three-hour rescue effort by police and fire agencies and volunteers.

The man, identified by KING-5 TV as John Johnson, was cold but uninjured.

Johnson and his friend, Mike Podrosky, had been floating the river when their boat capsized around 5 p.m. near Metzler Park near 188th Avenue Southeast and Southeast Green Valley Road. Podrosky reached shore and called 911 at 7 p.m., said a spokeswoman for the King County Sheriff's office.

Deputies and rescuers from King County Search and Rescue, Enumclaw Rescue and Mountain View Fire and Rescue began the search near 212th Way Southeast, battling darkness and dense brush on both sides of the river, before they spotted Johnson stuck on the logjam.

``We can see him and everything's fine. We've just got to get him off there,'' the Sheriff's spokeswoman said at 8:30 p.m.

Deputies and fire department officials in dive suits had managed to cross the river by 9 p.m., said Chief Greg Smith of Mountain View Fire and Rescue.

King County's Guardian One helicopter hovered overhead to illuminate the site, Smith said.

Johnson was rescued at 9:40 p.m.

KING reported that the current was swift in the 37-degree water. The men's experience underscores how dangerous the river can be.

``You can't float this river, especially in the middle of the night,'' Smith said.

Thread Information