Thread: Poly Bodies

Forum Member

Default Poly Bodies

Good morning Ladies & Gentlemen.

I am looking for information on Poly Bodied fire apparatus.

I am interested in all types of apparatus from light rescues to Large tankers.

I have heard concerns of shrinkage in cold weather. (Now now Guys!) I was also wondering about radiant heat if it has been a problem. Have you had problems with fasteners comming loose and what was the fix and did it work? Do you have hinged or roll up doors. Please let me know who built the body and who finished it off for you. Lastly what would you change or do differently.

Thank You

Dan Jenkins

fyrtrks@yahoo.com
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

The Rattlesnake CO rigs are poly bodied (i shopuld know i spent almost an hour last night drooling over them lol )

Heres a link http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/7873/index1a.html

I dont know if there is a contact number or information on there but i wouldnt hurt to send an e-mail to them and see how they are holding up for that dept

Forum Member

Default Rattlesnake Rigs

I got some info from thier website I was looking for others and thier input. Thanks for the reminder.

Dan Jenkins
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

I am pretty sure W.S. Darley has poly bodies

Forum Member

Default Thamks Again

Thank You again,

I know Darley has poly bodies. They are partnering with ProPoly of America to build the bodies under the PolyBilt nameplate. I am looking for information from the end user. I am looking for your ideas on how to improve the poly body and address any comcerns that you as an user would have. There has to be with other people with poly bodies out there both Polybilt and UPF and others.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

A neighboring department just bought a new engine from Darley on a Mack conventional chassis with an enclosed top-mount pump panel. Very different design philosophy for this area, but they're happy with it and have ordered a virtual twin for their other station. Got to give them credit for thinking outside of the box.

The unit is on a three-axle chassis, but for the size it carries relatively little water (under 1500 gallons I believe, maybe 1200). This unit is a do-it-all, as it carries extrication equipment, water rescue, etc. I'm betting the relatively small tank and subsequent lower weight were more a choice rather than a mistake, as they have a lot of not-so-great rural roads to deal with.

Kind of a weird thing to me was realizing that the inside of the compartments that border the tank are just that - tank walls. Lots of stickers stating not to drill above a certain line... Whoops.

The name of the department is North Boone Fire Protection District #3, in Poplar Grove, IL. If you need contact info, let me know. I could probably dig it up.

This department (also in IL) runs a similar looking unit on a different chassis with a bigger tank, but you can get a rough idea of what Poplar Grove's looks like. http://www.firehouse.com/hotshots/ap...greenwood.html

-Joel

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a follow-up, check out Rattlesnake's site regarding their opinion of using poly bodies.

http://www.geocities.com/rattlesfpd/next.html

Just a suggestion...

--Joel

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Swab Pioneer Series

For a medical unit/light rescue Swab Wagon Company makes a nice fiberglass body for single rear wheel pickup chassis.

http://www.swabwagon.com/

dazed and confused

Originally posted by npfd801
    Just a follow-up, check out Rattlesnake's site regarding their opinion of using poly bodies.

http://www.geocities.com/rattlesfpd/next.html

Just a suggestion...

--Joel

Some highlights..

"We wouldn’t own HME’s...

"Use any make of extrication tools but Phoenix...

"The poly body should be stainless steel in the future. The wide range of hot and cold temperatures in the area resulted in broken fasteners, screws that pulled out of the poly and doors that wouldn't line up. 2nd largest problem on the rig. One side would contract being hot while the other non-sun side would be cold and expand. Compartment doors, swing steel type didn't work well in that environment, the builder suggested rollups from day one. So, listen to your builder. Also, smaller rigs don't have the issues, like conventional pumpers, because they don't have as much surface area, and Colorado' 80 degree temperature swings in a given day are a bit unique.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information