Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 108 of 136 FirstFirst ... 85898105106107108109110111118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2706
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: faces behind the post

i've been sick the past few days so I spent some time wasting the day looking through this thread and I got one thing to say....

GOOD GOD THERE ARE SOME UGLY PEOPLE ON HERE
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    i've been sick the past few days so I spent some time wasting the day looking through this thread and I got one thing to say....

Hey! I resemble that remark!!!!!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

..I'm the one on the right
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    Me wearing 3/4 gear. I was one of the instructors/fire stokers during the live burn.

WHAT FIRE?
    This might be a dumb question. Why do instructors pound into our heads in class to wear proper PPE until their face is blue but, when it comes to the practice burns They come in with this glory boy, half dressed 3/4 boot, old style coat, no hood? I under stand alot of people use to wear this stuff but there has to be a reason we wear what we do now. No disrespect wcfpd2601, but if we're going to preach it, lets do it ourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lieut1sc View Post
    This might be a dumb question. Why do instructors pound into our heads in class to wear proper PPE until their face is blue but, when it comes to the practice burns They come in with this glory boy, half dressed 3/4 boot, old style coat, no hood? I under stand alot of people use to wear this stuff but there has to be a reason we wear what we do now. No disrespect wcfpd2601, but if we're going to preach it, lets do it ourself.
    Uhh, looks like a hood to me. Just around his neck.

And uh, just why is it that firefighters die in flashovers?
    Lack of fire behavior knowledge, or that they cant feel that heat building around them, due to being encapsulated in the bunker gear?

Who are we to judge another dept, and how they operate?

Glory boy...wow. I'm don't know wcfpd, but I sure didn't get the impression he was a glory hound.

BMA.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Uhh, looks like a hood to me. Just around his neck.

And uh, just why is it that firefighters die in flashovers?
    Lack of fire behavior knowledge, or that they cant feel that heat building around them, due to being encapsulated in the bunker gear?

Who are we to judge another dept, and how they operate?

Glory boy...wow. I'm don't know wcfpd, but I sure didn't get the impression he was a glory hound.

BMA.....
    Yes I did see the hood, I was just making the general statement of what I have seen over my years with teachers coming in with gear that is nothing like what they just got done preaching about us using. And since they were the "teacher" the rules meant nothing to them.
    And if the standards are going away from 3/4 boots and long coats, should that say something.

Once again, I ment no disrespect to wcfpd and was not calling him a glory boy but, just using it as an example of attitudes that I've seen in the field.

it makes them look cool and old school if they wear it....

course, doesnt do much good if they preach proper PPE to the students and what not yet dont follow it themselves...

and I'm not saying 3/4's isnt proper PPE. Most studies show it the be the exact opposite, but, dont preach one way and then do the exact other

just my .2 cents

and for the record, I do love my 3/4's

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

This is me on the backboard in emt class wat fun.... They had the back board upside down in between to tables
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Latest one of me... Taking up from an arson job.

And no, PPE police, I'm not wearing a hood, nor do I ever outside of training. Time to duck and cover!!!
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 02-12-2008 at 12:12 AM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    lol yes you are JHR

He is talking about tattoo from fantasy island (http://blogs.nypost.com/40by40/photo...y%20Island.jpg)
    LMAO!!!
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Here I am after coming out of a training drill at abandoned section of a mental hospital, I was about ready to be commited after doing my bannana at the IC , if you decide to start a sector and allocate new radio channels how about telling the god damn interior crew, nothing like talking to yourself !!

Anyway, that the reason for the grumpy expression !

I do preach proper PPE and wear it all the time on calls. The reason for the choice of the 3/4 is that once we started the live burns I was primarily stoking the fires. If you have ever been a stoker then you know once you get the fire going you back away to make sure it builds, then exit the building to take a break while the instructors and interior crew work the fire. Wearing the 3/4 allows me to cool off quicker and get ready quicker so we can do more burns. I can assure you that I do not wear it for the glory boy or any other reason. I have done this fire thing long enough to have grown out of that...lol! It is cooler (temp) than full gear and allows me to not wear out as soon. I also had my "regular" gear with me if I was going to switch and be an instructor that went in with the attack crew.

No disrespect taken
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    I do preach proper PPE and wear it all the time on calls. The reason for the choice of the 3/4 is that once we started the live burns I was primarily stoking the fires. If you have ever been a stoker then you know once you get the fire going you back away to make sure it builds, then exit the building to take a break while the instructors and interior crew work the fire. Wearing the 3/4 allows me to cool off quicker and get ready quicker so we can do more burns. I can assure you that I do not wear it for the glory boy or any other reason. I have done this fire thing long enough to have grown out of that...lol! It is cooler (temp) than full gear and allows me to not wear out as soon. I also had my "regular" gear with me if I was going to switch and be an instructor that went in with the attack crew.

No disrespect taken
    You wear it all the time on calls, but not at training? Does the fire in a training burn somehow achieve a lower temperature than the fire in a "real" fire? Buddy, it's ALL real fire. Google "Lairdsville fire" or "Baltimore recruit death" if you think training burns are one iota less dangerous than other fires.

It's only "cooler" if you don't get burned.

And I am biting my tongue in two to avoid any comments on whether being a "stoker" in 3/4 gear is anywhere in the same time zone as proper NFPA 1403 procedures for live burns. Again, Google "Lairdsville fire".

I'm not here trying to bust anybody's cojones, brother. I am concerned about your safety and that of those you are teaching (or in your word, preaching). Our example speaks far louder than our voice, our PowerPoint, our training DVD...

And as for you, WFDjr, you've apparently got the opposite problem from 2601--do it right in training, wrong at fires. Going without a hood does not make you manly, and it's nothing to joke about if someone you call the "PPE police" urges you not to skip the hood. It's a darn fine way to get serious, PREVENTABLE burns. I know a guy retired from Louisville (KY) FD who got a real nice purple paint job on the exposed areas when caught hoodless in an explosion about 15 years ago. Not a mark anywhere else on his body, but he was sure tender to the touch on the neck, throat and ears. FOR NO REASON. Don't feed me this BS about being able to sense the heat; I feel the heat just fine with a hood on.

People, it's 2008, not 1978. Let's train right, and fight right. The burn unit is no place to be.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    People, it's 2008, not 1978. Let's train right, and fight right. The burn unit is no place to be.
    A-men, brother!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    It's a darn fine way to get serious, PREVENTABLE burns.
    I've got a pretty nice one on the back of my neck. Not wearing a hood is one of my bad habits, the only thing worse I do is smoke a pack a day... I'm workin' on 'em both, bud, no offense was taken!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

lots of people dont wear hoods....

and a lot wish that they didnt....

look at it this way: he wont be getting in deep enough to get hurt.....

which isnt a bad thing really

Evidentially you missed the part about exiting after the fire is lit. Also, thanks for pointing out the fact that all fire is real...I guess that is the mistake I have made all of these years...I thought the training burns were fake!....who knew!
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

do me a favor and try not to be the NFPA police.

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post

Where's your pic so we can make judgement?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

That's me......
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

Thread Information