Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 136 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109110111112119 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2706
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: faces behind the post

Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    Evidentially you missed the part about exiting after the fire is lit. Also, thanks for pointing out the fact that all fire is real...I guess that is the mistake I have made all of these years...I thought the training burns were fake!....who knew!
    So if you understand that all fire is real, why do you wear one type of gear for training burns and another for other fires?

Friend, as I said, I am offering my thoughts on your actions out of concern for you and anybody else who might gain from it. I am not getting into personal cheap shots or trying to get sarcastic with anybody. There is a reason why 3/4 boots and long coats have gone by the wayside, and I'm just offering advice. I don't have anything but a 2001 draft of NFPA 1403 here, but in section 4.4.18.1, it states "The ignition officer shall wear full protective clothing, including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), as required in 4.4.17.1 through 4.4.17.7, when performing this function."

And JHR 1985, sometimes the very biggest favor any of us can get is for somebody else to be the NFPA police to us before something goes wrong and some bloodthirsty lawyer gets to do it in a courtroom. I don't always agree with everything in NFPA, but I always try to abide by it for just this reason.

I agree that not going in too deep into a fire can save your life, but sometimes two steps inside the door is far enough to get burned, and a hood can make a big difference. As I said earlier, the hood may reduce your awareness of the temperature around you, but my experience has been that I can still sense plenty of heat back there.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 02-16-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

i'm afraid that if I posted a photo of my handsome devil self, some of the fairies on this forum might enjoy themselves to it and such.

plus i'm a little intimidated by the Gonzo stache....

how can anyone's picture hold up to that?

I bet you get good money being a Tom Selleck stunt double...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Default Here I am

Only pic I could find in bunker gear, from the local paper.

Name:  JRQFD.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  13.1 KB
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Picture in the paper, huh???? YOU OWE ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ok, there have been a few requests for an updated image....... not sure why though. LOL This was taken on my back deck, just after I received my gear in 2006. Oh.. and the red hat is now black leather.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 02-25-2008 at 08:08 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thumbs up

still looks like you Rick !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    still looks like you Rick !
    Last time I saw him, he was covered in grease changing a water pump
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Thats me on the left. We did a demonstration yesterday at a local high school.

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Okay the gumpster has finially decided to let yall see my ugly mug....
    first one Im on the right...very cold 3 am fire...and I was on the pump...didnt get wet, but didnt have the fire to keep me warm either...

second one, Im the one without gear...learnin some xplorers to do it with a car....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Okay the gumpster has finially decided to let yall see my ugly mug....
    first one Im on the right...very cold 3 am fire...and I was on the pump...didnt get wet, but didnt have the fire to keep me warm either...

second one, Im the one without gear...learnin some xplorers to do it with a car....
    Hey gump, you did know that the top picture was posted a page or two back....right?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

nope...but hey, its one of my few pictures of me..lol...

and im so dead sexy it deserves a second post..lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post

I agree that not going in too deep into a fire can save your life, but sometimes two steps inside the door is far enough to get burned, and a hood can make a big difference. As I said earlier, the hood may reduce your awareness of the temperature around you, but my experience has been that I can still sense plenty of heat back there.
    Wow, thanks for all the NFPA info. I like this comment "But my Experience"

From your dept website i find this

"We cover an area of approximately 42 square miles with a population of around 3,700. We respond to an average of 130 calls per year, including a variety of fires, as well as vehicle accidents, medical emergencies, and other calls."

Not alot of experience and with a call volume of 130 a year one should not attempt to preach his or her experience. You dont have any and all you say is lost with stats like this. Sorry, but I am tired of people telling others what they are doing wrong and throwing the EXPERIENCE phrase out there when they really dont have any. Someone might listen to you and get hurt thinking you have been there and done that. Sorry...off my soap box now!!

wow was it cold out... This was taken tonight at landing zone training.

-Damien

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy View Post
    Last time I saw him, he was covered in grease changing a water pump
    HAHAAHAA. Now aint that the truth! And the last time Steamer and Josh saw me I was looking at a truck interior that had been virtually destroyed by my dog..... same trip even!

Good to "see" you still Kick'n mtnfire!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjake1240 View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the NFPA info. I like this comment "But my Experience"

Not alot of experience and with a call volume of 130 a year one should not attempt to preach his or her experience. You dont have any and all you say is lost with stats like this. Sorry, but I am tired of people telling others what they are doing wrong and throwing the EXPERIENCE phrase out there when they really dont have any. Someone might listen to you and get hurt thinking you have been there and done that. Sorry...off my soap box now!!
    I never claimed to be a grizzled veteran. I have 16 years in small-town volunteer fire service. Probably 150 structure fires, tops. That's it. My comments are based on what experience I do have and the facts of what is in NFPA. I brought up NFPA because that's what will hang you when something goes wrong, and I commented in the first place out of concern for these other firefighters.

Sorry that you disliked my comments so much that you had to go research my background. But are my points valid? Should a guy be ignition officer wearing a long coat and 3/4 boots? Should we wear our hoods? If my points are valid, does it matter how much experience I have?

I'm not pontificating on high-rise strategies or aerial operations. I'm talking about PPE. How do you figure people are likely to get hurt by listening to little old inexperienced me and wearing full, modern PPE?

Here's a guy with some experience who saw in 1976 that getting one's ears burned isn't fun.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 02-27-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks for the inclusion of the article Bryan. That spoke volumes, unfortunately no one is listening STILL.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I never claimed to be a grizzled veteran. I have 16 years in small-town volunteer fire service. Probably 150 structure fires, tops. That's it. My comments are based on what experience I do have and the facts of what is in NFPA. I brought up NFPA because that's what will hang you when something goes wrong, and I commented in the first place out of concern for these other firefighters.

Sorry that you disliked my comments so much that you had to go research my background. But are my points valid? Should a guy be ignition officer wearing a long coat and 3/4 boots? Should we wear our hoods? If my points are valid, does it matter how much experience I have?

I'm not pontificating on high-rise strategies or aerial operations. I'm talking about PPE. How do you figure people are likely to get hurt by listening to little old inexperienced me and wearing full, modern PPE?

Here's a guy with some experience who saw in 1976 that getting one's ears burned isn't fun.

When you throw the term " In my experience", you lead people down the road that you know what your talking about. Dont worry, your not the only one on this site that does this but you did catch my eye. I'll tell you this, I do have experience wearing 3/4 boots and a longer coat, infact the last 6 years I have worn nothing but this option. I suffered zero burns and zero cuts sparains or strains. With my bunker gear I have sparained my ankle twice and suffered steam burns to my knees. My dept did a study and found that we had a 4% burn ratio without bunkers and a 4% with full bunkers. But the one stat that increased was the Heat related stress costing the city huge in medical cost and OT to cover the injured. I will never push my ideas on someone, if you choose to wear your hood, by all means do!! But remember this, fires are down, yet more firefighters are getting caught in Flashover. Why do you think that is?? Here is my idea, the hood hinders the feeling of heat and the rapid build up. firefighters are not paying attention because they feel nothing and they are going in way to far. Take the hood off, you wont go as far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjake1240 View Post
    When you throw the term " In my experience", you lead people down the road that you know what your talking about. Dont worry, your not the only one on this site that does this but you did catch my eye. I'll tell you this, I do have experience wearing 3/4 boots and a longer coat, infact the last 6 years I have worn nothing but this option. I suffered zero burns and zero cuts sparains or strains. With my bunker gear I have sparained my ankle twice and suffered steam burns to my knees. My dept did a study and found that we had a 4% burn ratio without bunkers and a 4% with full bunkers. But the one stat that increased was the Heat related stress costing the city huge in medical cost and OT to cover the injured. I will never push my ideas on someone, if you choose to wear your hood, by all means do!! But remember this, fires are down, yet more firefighters are getting caught in Flashover. Why do you think that is?? Here is my idea, the hood hinders the feeling of heat and the rapid build up. firefighters are not paying attention because they feel nothing and they are going in way to far. Take the hood off, you wont go as far!!!

I doubt that my use of the phrase "in my experience" give me--or anybody--much credibility in the absence of any other statement of qualifications.

I won't argue with your department's studies; Boston has plenty of resources to check this stuff out. And I agree that the trend toward "super gear" appears to have caused a trend toward overstaying one's welcome inside a fire. I just don't want to go in with any exposed skin, and there are plenty of folks who'd agree that it's best to err in that direction.

[QUOTE=Bostonjake1240;925193]When you throw the term " In my experience", you lead people down the road that you know what your talking about.QUOTE]

And by the way, I do know what I'm talking about. The point of my earlier posts is that NFPA requires you wear them, and if something goes wrong, noncompliance will cause you big trouble. Lairdsville is a perfect example of what happens when you don't follow NFPA. That is the standard that will be dropped in your lap in court if something goes wrong, and the fact that I'm some inexperienced bumpkin in Kentucky doesn't diminish the impact of not complying with NFPA. I don't say that out of a claim of superior experience, but out of common sense. The law says you stop at a red light, so even though she can't drive my 9-year-old is justified in telling me to stop. Her lack of experience in driving doesn't change the fact that she is correct in her understanding of the rules, and the consequences of breaking them.

And that's all I have to say. I will hereby stop trying to hijack a nice little thread.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 02-27-2008 at 02:56 PM.

During my last tour with the Navy, we had four separate cases of guys getting steam burns on the neck because each was not properly wearing his flash hood. Fortunately none of the burns were more than 1st and 2nd degree, but still perty dang painful for those who received. I always considered that a good object lesson of what to do nor not do.

During Fire School, we were warned multiple times that if our PPE was not properly worn, we would be "left sitting on the bumper" during live fire. Naturally none of us were left out in the cold.

My only "Preach" is this: The gear was created for us to us in the approved and approprate manner to help prevent (or reduce) potential injury. If ya got it, USE IT!
    ====

One last thing. When a person professes his "experience" and another does a background check of the station in question, it might also be a good idea to research the individual on a more personal level. Just because Station X only does an average of 100 runs per year, does not necessarily mean that FFKY only makes those runs. You might find out that he has 25 years with a career dept from another life and city.....???? Now that would be a bad way to put ones foot into one's mouth. Leather shoes are tough to swallow (so I'm told).
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 02-27-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information