Like Tree3Likes

Thread: faces behind the post

  1. #2151
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Here I am after coming out of a training drill at abandoned section of a mental hospital, I was about ready to be commited after doing my bannana at the IC , if you decide to start a sector and allocate new radio channels how about telling the god damn interior crew, nothing like talking to yourself !!

    Anyway, that the reason for the grumpy expression !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2152
    Forum Member
    wcfpd2601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I do preach proper PPE and wear it all the time on calls. The reason for the choice of the 3/4 is that once we started the live burns I was primarily stoking the fires. If you have ever been a stoker then you know once you get the fire going you back away to make sure it builds, then exit the building to take a break while the instructors and interior crew work the fire. Wearing the 3/4 allows me to cool off quicker and get ready quicker so we can do more burns. I can assure you that I do not wear it for the glory boy or any other reason. I have done this fire thing long enough to have grown out of that...lol! It is cooler (temp) than full gear and allows me to not wear out as soon. I also had my "regular" gear with me if I was going to switch and be an instructor that went in with the attack crew.

    No disrespect taken
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

  3. #2153
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    I do preach proper PPE and wear it all the time on calls. The reason for the choice of the 3/4 is that once we started the live burns I was primarily stoking the fires. If you have ever been a stoker then you know once you get the fire going you back away to make sure it builds, then exit the building to take a break while the instructors and interior crew work the fire. Wearing the 3/4 allows me to cool off quicker and get ready quicker so we can do more burns. I can assure you that I do not wear it for the glory boy or any other reason. I have done this fire thing long enough to have grown out of that...lol! It is cooler (temp) than full gear and allows me to not wear out as soon. I also had my "regular" gear with me if I was going to switch and be an instructor that went in with the attack crew.

    No disrespect taken
    You wear it all the time on calls, but not at training? Does the fire in a training burn somehow achieve a lower temperature than the fire in a "real" fire? Buddy, it's ALL real fire. Google "Lairdsville fire" or "Baltimore recruit death" if you think training burns are one iota less dangerous than other fires.

    It's only "cooler" if you don't get burned.

    And I am biting my tongue in two to avoid any comments on whether being a "stoker" in 3/4 gear is anywhere in the same time zone as proper NFPA 1403 procedures for live burns. Again, Google "Lairdsville fire".

    I'm not here trying to bust anybody's cojones, brother. I am concerned about your safety and that of those you are teaching (or in your word, preaching). Our example speaks far louder than our voice, our PowerPoint, our training DVD...

    And as for you, WFDjr, you've apparently got the opposite problem from 2601--do it right in training, wrong at fires. Going without a hood does not make you manly, and it's nothing to joke about if someone you call the "PPE police" urges you not to skip the hood. It's a darn fine way to get serious, PREVENTABLE burns. I know a guy retired from Louisville (KY) FD who got a real nice purple paint job on the exposed areas when caught hoodless in an explosion about 15 years ago. Not a mark anywhere else on his body, but he was sure tender to the touch on the neck, throat and ears. FOR NO REASON. Don't feed me this BS about being able to sense the heat; I feel the heat just fine with a hood on.

    People, it's 2008, not 1978. Let's train right, and fight right. The burn unit is no place to be.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  4. #2154
    Rabble rouser
    Kobersteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fairfax County (VA) Fire & Rescue Dept.
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    People, it's 2008, not 1978. Let's train right, and fight right. The burn unit is no place to be.
    A-men, brother!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

    "It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

  5. #2155
    Forum Member
    WFDjr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!
    Posts
    783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    It's a darn fine way to get serious, PREVENTABLE burns.
    I've got a pretty nice one on the back of my neck. Not wearing a hood is one of my bad habits, the only thing worse I do is smoke a pack a day... I'm workin' on 'em both, bud, no offense was taken!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

    Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

    Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

  6. #2156
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JHR1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,918

    Default

    lots of people dont wear hoods....

    and a lot wish that they didnt....

    look at it this way: he wont be getting in deep enough to get hurt.....

    which isnt a bad thing really
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

    "You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

  7. #2157
    Forum Member
    wcfpd2601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Evidentially you missed the part about exiting after the fire is lit. Also, thanks for pointing out the fact that all fire is real...I guess that is the mistake I have made all of these years...I thought the training burns were fake!....who knew!
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

  8. #2158
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JHR1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,918

    Default

    do me a favor and try not to be the NFPA police.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

    "You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

  9. #2159
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    i've been sick the past few days so I spent some time wasting the day looking through this thread and I got one thing to say....


















    GOOD GOD THERE ARE SOME UGLY PEOPLE ON HERE
    Where's your pic so we can make judgement?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  10. #2160
    Forum Member
    LT.Chouinard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    South "Q"
    Posts
    56

    Default

    That's me......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

  11. #2161
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    Evidentially you missed the part about exiting after the fire is lit. Also, thanks for pointing out the fact that all fire is real...I guess that is the mistake I have made all of these years...I thought the training burns were fake!....who knew!
    So if you understand that all fire is real, why do you wear one type of gear for training burns and another for other fires?

    Friend, as I said, I am offering my thoughts on your actions out of concern for you and anybody else who might gain from it. I am not getting into personal cheap shots or trying to get sarcastic with anybody. There is a reason why 3/4 boots and long coats have gone by the wayside, and I'm just offering advice. I don't have anything but a 2001 draft of NFPA 1403 here, but in section 4.4.18.1, it states "The ignition officer shall wear full protective clothing, including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), as required in 4.4.17.1 through 4.4.17.7, when performing this function."

    And JHR 1985, sometimes the very biggest favor any of us can get is for somebody else to be the NFPA police to us before something goes wrong and some bloodthirsty lawyer gets to do it in a courtroom. I don't always agree with everything in NFPA, but I always try to abide by it for just this reason.

    I agree that not going in too deep into a fire can save your life, but sometimes two steps inside the door is far enough to get burned, and a hood can make a big difference. As I said earlier, the hood may reduce your awareness of the temperature around you, but my experience has been that I can still sense plenty of heat back there.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 02-16-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  12. #2162
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JHR1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,918

    Default

    i'm afraid that if I posted a photo of my handsome devil self, some of the fairies on this forum might enjoy themselves to it and such.

    plus i'm a little intimidated by the Gonzo stache....


    how can anyone's picture hold up to that?

    I bet you get good money being a Tom Selleck stunt double...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

    "You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

  13. #2163
    MembersZone Subscriber
    lenny91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Laurel, NE
    Posts
    86

    Default Here I am

    Only pic I could find in bunker gear, from the local paper.

    Name:  JRQFD.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  13.1 KB
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

    Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

  14. #2164
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,416

    Default

    Picture in the paper, huh???? YOU OWE ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #2165
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Ok, there have been a few requests for an updated image....... not sure why though. LOL This was taken on my back deck, just after I received my gear in 2006. Oh.. and the red hat is now black leather.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 02-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  16. #2166
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Thumbs up

    still looks like you Rick !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  17. #2167
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mtnfireguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    still looks like you Rick !
    Last time I saw him, he was covered in grease changing a water pump
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

    IACOJ 2003

  18. #2168
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Thats me on the left. We did a demonstration yesterday at a local high school.


    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  19. #2169
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Okay the gumpster has finially decided to let yall see my ugly mug....
    first one Im on the right...very cold 3 am fire...and I was on the pump...didnt get wet, but didnt have the fire to keep me warm either...

    second one, Im the one without gear...learnin some xplorers to do it with a car....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  20. #2170
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Okay the gumpster has finially decided to let yall see my ugly mug....
    first one Im on the right...very cold 3 am fire...and I was on the pump...didnt get wet, but didnt have the fire to keep me warm either...

    second one, Im the one without gear...learnin some xplorers to do it with a car....
    Hey gump, you did know that the top picture was posted a page or two back....right?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  21. #2171
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest OH
    Posts
    355

    Default

    nope...but hey, its one of my few pictures of me..lol...

    and im so dead sexy it deserves a second post..lol

  22. #2172
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boston Ma
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post

    I agree that not going in too deep into a fire can save your life, but sometimes two steps inside the door is far enough to get burned, and a hood can make a big difference. As I said earlier, the hood may reduce your awareness of the temperature around you, but my experience has been that I can still sense plenty of heat back there.
    Wow, thanks for all the NFPA info. I like this comment "But my Experience"

    From your dept website i find this

    "We cover an area of approximately 42 square miles with a population of around 3,700. We respond to an average of 130 calls per year, including a variety of fires, as well as vehicle accidents, medical emergencies, and other calls."

    Not alot of experience and with a call volume of 130 a year one should not attempt to preach his or her experience. You dont have any and all you say is lost with stats like this. Sorry, but I am tired of people telling others what they are doing wrong and throwing the EXPERIENCE phrase out there when they really dont have any. Someone might listen to you and get hurt thinking you have been there and done that. Sorry...off my soap box now!!

  23. #2173
    Worldwide Menace
    DFurtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wandering the World
    Posts
    541

    Default



    wow was it cold out... This was taken tonight at landing zone training.

    -Damien

  24. #2174
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy View Post
    Last time I saw him, he was covered in grease changing a water pump
    HAHAAHAA. Now aint that the truth! And the last time Steamer and Josh saw me I was looking at a truck interior that had been virtually destroyed by my dog..... same trip even!

    Good to "see" you still Kick'n mtnfire!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  25. #2175
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjake1240 View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the NFPA info. I like this comment "But my Experience"

    Not alot of experience and with a call volume of 130 a year one should not attempt to preach his or her experience. You dont have any and all you say is lost with stats like this. Sorry, but I am tired of people telling others what they are doing wrong and throwing the EXPERIENCE phrase out there when they really dont have any. Someone might listen to you and get hurt thinking you have been there and done that. Sorry...off my soap box now!!
    I never claimed to be a grizzled veteran. I have 16 years in small-town volunteer fire service. Probably 150 structure fires, tops. That's it. My comments are based on what experience I do have and the facts of what is in NFPA. I brought up NFPA because that's what will hang you when something goes wrong, and I commented in the first place out of concern for these other firefighters.

    Sorry that you disliked my comments so much that you had to go research my background. But are my points valid? Should a guy be ignition officer wearing a long coat and 3/4 boots? Should we wear our hoods? If my points are valid, does it matter how much experience I have?

    I'm not pontificating on high-rise strategies or aerial operations. I'm talking about PPE. How do you figure people are likely to get hurt by listening to little old inexperienced me and wearing full, modern PPE?

    Here's a guy with some experience who saw in 1976 that getting one's ears burned isn't fun.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 02-27-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register