MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default N. IL loses true friend of fire service

From the DeKalb Chronicle:

SYCAMORE - Local government and education leaders are remembering Dave Wirsing as a highly accessible 70th district state representative with an intense concern for local issues and a special interest in higher education.

Wirsing, 66, passed away Sunday afternoon after an apparent heart attack.

"Dave was a very accessible representative and I think it's fair to say ... he was a representative in the true sense of the word," said Bill Nicklas, Sycamore's city manager and a former city manager in DeKalb.

DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow lauded Wirsing for helping to secure state funds for major capital repairs such as replacing the Taylor Street bridge and road work.

"I really liked him because he was always there," Sparrow said, to listen to a concern.

Sparrow said Wirsing's tenure on the Sycamore School Board before he became a state representative in 1993 helped give him a "local government perspective" that was crucial when it came to knowing how cities and towns would be affected by legislation passed in Springfield.

Wirsing also helped get funding for Sycamore's $1.7 million downtown streetscape project in 2001, helping to expand the scope of the work from basic street and curb repairs to include new sidewalks, trees and historic lighting, among other additions, Nicklas said.

"That was really critical," he said. "He came through with a half million dollars."

State Sen. Brad Burzynski, R-Sycamore, occupied Wirsing's seat before moving on to the state senate. The two spent many long car rides back and forth from Springfield. Burzynski referred to his colleague as an "older brother" figure.

At local functions, the two often gave one another other his share of good-natured ribbing, and Burzynski said Wirsing had a good sense of humor and an affable nature that allowed him to work well with other lawmakers.

"Dave got along very well with his colleagues and peers," he said.

State House Republican Leader Tom Cross of Oswego agreed.

"I think he was exceptional in that regard," Cross said, and it was one of Wirsing's qualities that allowed him to work with fellow Republicans and Democrats on legislation important to his district and the state.

Cross and Wirsing were in the DeKalb area last week to speak with Northern Illinois University officials and other local groups.

Throughout the meetings, people stood up to thank Wirsing for the work he did on issues as varied and domestic violence and agriculture, Cross said.

With Northern Illinois University and Kishwaukee College in his district, Wirsing was especially attuned to higher education, local officials say. He also served as the Republican spokesman on the House Committee on Higher Education.

"He was the higher education guru, if you will," Cross said, and the person the House relied on when it came to successfully advocating for more money for all state universities during state budget negotiations.

"I am deeply saddened to hear of the untimely death of Dave Wirsing," NIU President John Peters said in a statement. "He was a man of great integrity who was well-respected by all the presidents and chancellors of all public universities in Illinois. He was a great friend and supporter of NIU, and a great personal friend as well."

In a statement, Kishwaukee College President Dave Louis said: "Kishwaukee College could not have lost a truer friend. Dave worked tirelessly for higher education and was a huge supporter of the college. He always enjoyed meeting students and employees and had a genuine understanding of their needs and appreciation of their accomplishments. He will be greatly missed."

Mary Simons, chair of the DeKalb County Republican party, said that even after being elected to the State House, Wirsing remained a Republican precinct committeeman, working on party-building activities such as getting nominating petitions signed.

"Dave was a foot soldier along with being one of our state representatives," she said.

Sparrow lauded Wirsing's honestly and willingness to answer a question directly, regardless of whether he thought his audience would like what he had to say.

"Dave would take any question you ask him," Sparrow said.

Before coming to Springfield, Wirsing was a grain and livestock farmer for 30 years and served as the president of the Illinois Pork Producers Association.

Officials said it was too early to say who might replace him or how that person would be chosen.

According to Burzynski, county Republican chairpersons from counties that are part of the 70th district, along with the House Republican leadership, will choose someone to serve in Wirsing's seat until elections next year.

State law requires that an appointment be made within 30 days of when a vacancy occurs.

For the first time in a decade, Wirsing had competition for the Republican nomination this March. DeKalb County Board member Joe Wiegand announced his candidacy in August.

Wirsing is survived by his wife, Nancy, four children and nine grandchildren.
    ------------------------

Wirsing worked hard, along with Don Moffitt (CRs friend) on the Illinois Fire Service Task Force. This task force toured the state, meeting with local fire departments and districts and listening to their needs. The work of this task force led DIRECTLY to the State's new Revolving Loan Fund for fire apparatus; laws passed allowing FPDs to bill for multiple flase alarms; recover taxes spent on fuel; set up the state's no-liablity equipment donation program; and a few others I'm sure CR can elaborate on.

We have lost a true friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay:
    It is apparent from the article that he wasn't your garden variety politician. He didn't have connections; he had friends. He didn't have an agenda; he had a conscience. If he had motives, it was to make everything around him better. And it looks like he did. You touched on many fruits of his labor. I'll add one; the incentives to firefighters with 5 years plus of service not to exceed $240 per year. I thank God that he was able to see his many accomplishments come to fruition.
    As I told you in my email; it would only be fitting for a fire service presence at his memorial. It's the least our fire service can do for such a righteous man. And he will be deeply missed by all.
    In my thoughts.....
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Fellow Illionsians............I am sorry to hear of the loss of a great man who lobbied for your causes and rooted for the local public servans called firefighters. I can already gather that this man cared about you and tried to make some of your situations more tenable.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Yes Jay, the fire service has lost another great frind.
    My thoughts and prayer go out to Dave Wirsing's family and
    everyone in the 70th district. I am sure he will be greatly missed in Springfield. Why is it the good politicians always die and the rest get re-elected?
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay:
    Talked to Don Wednesday and he was attending the funeral today for his dear friend and colleague.
    He was quite taken by this unexpected and huge loss to our state.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Art;
    The visitation was yesterday. The county FDs did a group walkthrough. I didn't count, but there had to be 40 of us. More were planning on attending the service today.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay:
    That's great.
    It lets the family know how much their loved one meant to us.
    I am sure that it was appreciated.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Thread Information