Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: not again

MembersZone Subscriber

Default not again

I cant believe we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Has anyone read the article about the Va firefighter stealing the credit card from a patient and buying a tv for the station. What an idiot.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

I hope OEMS yanks his certification so he can't be around patients. What a turd.

Yeah, what was that peckerhead thinkin'? Someone needs to kick his rear up between his shoulder blades...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Must have been hard for his parents to raise an idiot
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Temporarily/No Longer Active July36's Avatar

Sounds like that guy aint too bright.Now the patient can get him for credit card theft and fraud. LOL

Donna C
    Fire Chief
    Bridge Canyon VFD
    http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

I read the article and can't believe how stupid people can be. That must be one hell of a TV though for $3000.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Our worst enemies are within our ranks. The bad apples in the fire service seem to attract a disproportionate amount of bad press. The news media seems to eat up the "Hero gone bad" theme.

This guy from VA alegedly stole a credit card from a patient that he was sent to assist. Not sure what his motives were for this move, but obviously, He didn't think this out very well. Alternately, Maybe he thought this out and decided that it was OK and he would get away with it. In either case, the outcome will not be good for the fire service as a whole. How did we let a thief in the door, and how do we keep it from happening again.

Mr. Gantenbein wrote a magazine article knocking the fire service, I disagree with the premise of the article. (I think it was garbage) After the article was published on the internet, Members of the fire service responded with a flood of e-mail, letters and phone calls to the author. There were several threats of physical violence and at least one threat to burn his home down. How does this speak for the fire service??

After 9/11, The fire service enjoyed recognition and public support(at least intangible support) that has not been seen for many, many years (if ever). While some of this support still exists, much of it has been lost due to the above and similar incidents, more of it has been lost due to the political infighting within the fire service, paid/volunteer, union/non-union, fire only/ems only/both, and any one of a hundred other issues. While dissenting opinions are necessary, the extreme approach of a few creates large amounts of hate and discontent. The evidence can be found on these forums and others.

Our failure to market ourselves well to the public, to work together for the good of the fire service as a whole, and to maintain the trust of the public has cost us a great deal, and will continue to cause us problems in the future. My fear is that a golden opportunity for all of us has been "****ed away" due to the day in/day out, same old way of thinking that has not only proven the statement "150 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress", but has made it a desirable goal for many. Tradition AND Progress need to be the goal of the 21st century fire service.

My guess is that George will be winding up soon regarding background investigations and the volunteer fire service. Some will argue the point. Would an investigation have prevented this incident? Probably not, but, Maybe it would have. Maybe we should take an objective look at it??

My 2 cents,

Jim

There are bad apples everywhere-- not just in the fire service?

Haven't you ever head of the Internal Affairs Bureau? Most large PD's have them.

Have you seen the news lately? All the stuff between the SEC and the mutual fund companies that are doing illegal tings with the mutual fund money?

ENRON?

Power corrupts - Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess is that George will be winding up soon regarding background investigations and the volunteer fire service. Some will argue the point. Would an investigation have prevented this incident? Probably not, but, Maybe it would have. Maybe we should take an objective look at it??
    Is winding up good or bad?

Two things to remember about background investigations:
    1. They will prevent many bad people from becoming members of the FD, but there is no way to prevent all bad FF's.
    2. The background investigation is only as good as the person conducting it.

In this case, the facts as I understand them are completely bizarre. Did this idiot not think that the PD would add 2+2 and get 4? This case is so blatant that it, seriously, almost speaks to a possible mental illness (not insanity, but mental illness).

Just for the record, I believe that background investigations, consisting of a full investigation of personal information, employment information, personal references, past FD experience and a financial background is a good thing. This invest. should be coupled with a psych evaluation. We must show due diligence in our effort to keep out the bad people.

Default You think he would know better...

...But obviously not! It takes little common sense to realize that you are going to get a credit card statement at the end of the month with your purchases! Apparently this daughter wasn't very trusting of the caretakers she left her mom with since a tracer was put on all purchases on this card... Just goes to show some people think once in a while...and then again that some DON'T!

The part that really makes me wonder is the fact that a huge big screen just magically appears at the fire station and no one questions it? HELLO!!! A few things stick out in my mind here:

1. Virgina if memory serves me right is one of the poorest states per-capita in the UNION!

2. This guy doesn't exactly look like he could afford a $3000 dollar TV magically one day like he pulled Benjamin Franklin's from his rectumus defilus! Someone somewhere with any common sense at all or integrity would have thrown up a flag and known something was up! This has me questioning the integrity of this department... No matter what the article may say.

3. Even if you do have the money...Why in god's name would you buy it for the firehouse...I mean don't get me wrong...I've bought things for the guys to have for entertainment before but GOOD GOD!!!! $3000 DOLLARS!?!?!

4. I don't think this was a one man job...Someone else somewhere was in on this for it to be this inconspicuous to the other firefighters.

Remember... This is just my two cents! I respect yours and would hope you return the favor!

Stay Safe!! Stay Low!! Stay !!
    LREngine135
    Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

These days, it is not asking all that much to do SOME KIND of backround check on ALL firefighters, volunteer or paid. Local law enforcement, while usually very busy, should work with their F.D.'s to make it happen without too much pain for either group.

I have to agree with George 100% on this one. It should be our duty as firefighters to see that no one but the best people get into our organization. I had always felt that firefighters were the elite of the emergency service groups. We should set the benchmark for other organizations to follow. I see a lot in my former department that has little or no discipline. If we have no discipline we have no organization.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    These days, it is not asking all that much to do SOME KIND of backround check on ALL firefighters, volunteer or paid. Local law enforcement, while usually very busy, should work with their F.D.'s to make it happen without too much pain for either group.
    You're right. But it almost doesn't have anything to do with law enforcement. All someone has to do is a) verify the info on the application and b) speak with references and employers. A reasonably intelligent individual ought to be able to make a judgement call on 99% of the applications with that information. Remember; the overwhelming majority of the applicants are good people.

Default A question for George?

George
    I do agree with the idea of screening applicants in towns where not everyone knows eachother. But my question is what would be grounds to not be allowed to join? For example, I was arrested about 4 months ago for Misdemeanor Battery after I found my wife with another man. I didn't actually strike him but my hand was around his neck. Now I was arrested but the charges are being dropped after I serve 6 months of court supervision. Now back to my question......what would qualify as a reason to be removed from the application period??

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

I read the article a few days ago and wondered why no one had posted a thread about it, because it speaks to many issues beyond dishonesty. But again, the tail will chase the dog. Background checks; hell, any kind of a check will keep alot of these predators out of our ranks.
    Money does strange things to sensible people sometimes. Even if you get a clean one, what's to keep them from BECOMING dishonest?
    It starts with a can of pop that you're suppose to throw money in the can for and the next thing you know, they're stealing the can money and taking rings, credit cards and cash from the injured and dead.
    That's why it has to be an on-going process and when you catch one; flop them lower than whale dung, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law and never, I repeat, NEVER let them serve the public who's confidence they have violated ever again.
    One chance in this business for something like that should be enough.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: A question for George?

Originally posted by codeblue81
    George
    I do agree with the idea of screening applicants in towns where not everyone knows eachother. But my question is what would be grounds to not be allowed to join? For example, I was arrested about 4 months ago for Misdemeanor Battery after I found my wife with another man. I didn't actually strike him but my hand was around his neck. Now I was arrested but the charges are being dropped after I serve 6 months of court supervision. Now back to my question......what would qualify as a reason to be removed from the application period??

code_blue81
    I can't speak for your state, but I would check the statutes. Generally speaking, a felony conviction (at least in NJ) would disqualify you from public appointment.

It starts with a can of pop that you're suppose to throw money in the can for
    CR, do you have some of our old members? I lost so much money stocking the fridge I should have claimed some of those guys as dependents.

In this case, I think George's speculation that the guy has a real mental issue will turn out to be dead-on. No rational person could hope to get away with something so outlandish.

Now, just because he has a screw loose doesn't mean he shouldn't get slammed.

Default Getting some Law Enforcement assitance

I was thinking maybe help with doing fingerprints and a quick NCIC check on applicants. Nothing too crazy. Although when we hire, our detectives do a pretty extensive backround check. I think it would prove cost effective to everyone involved due to the high cost of investigating and prosecuting a firefighter "gone bad".(or maybe was bad to begin with)

Thread Information