MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who Knows Latin?

I got a sweat shirt for a gift. It has a Maltese cross and says SEMPER PARATUS. What the heck does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Always Faithful

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

No, "Always Faithful" is "Semper Fidelis" (the Marine Corps motto)

Forum Member

SEMPER PARATUS=Always Ready
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Don't quote me, but i'm pretty sure it's something like Always Prepared or Always Ready

Forum Member

Within the same minute.... how good are we? ;-)

Forum Member

Semper Paratus is the motto for the United States Coast Guard.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Truckie

Semper Paratus is the motto for the United States Coast Guard.
    So what does that mean; "Always with-in sight of land!"

Sorry my puddle pirate buddies, just had to give you some grief!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

why do coasties have to be atleast 6 feet tall?......so they can walk ashore when the boat sinks.

So what does that mean; "Always with-in sight of land!"

As an old coastie, I have taken grief from many a sailor over this topic.

It is a fact that there are Coast Guard personnel serving all over the world, and some in harms way in the Middle East.

Last guy to give me grief was a ex carrier sailor (Wing Maggot)

I simply told him that there had to be SOMEBODY close to shore to take care of the wives and girlfriends of the guys spending months away from home on the carriers.

Haven't heard another word on the subject...

Stay Safe,

Jim

Truckie

I simply told him that there had to be SOMEBODY close to shore to take care of the wives and girlfriends of the guys spending months away from home on the carriers.

There is some truth to that, be told, Jim!

When I enlisted, my Dad said that the Navy will provide everything I needed to survive. Well as much as I looked, there wasn't any wifes in the seabag!
    So lets show some repect to Jim and our fellow row-boat navy types.
    OK, that enough....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I was stationed on Governors Island in NY Harbor during the early to mid 80's. There were two cutters homeported there that ran approximately alternating sailing schedules. Frequently, they would pass under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge, One coming home, One going out.

It was common knowledge that some of the same wives/girlfriends that were seeing off one crew were also there to welcome the incoming crew home.

'Twas a tight-knit community...Yes it was...

Jim

Forum Member

drkblram,

No offense taken, I got over getting upset with these jokes long ago. As far as the rules, We dont make them, just our job to enforce them.

Jim

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Go coasties!!! thanks for keeping our shores safe!
    Sounds like a cool tshirt!

Forum Member

opps, cool SWEAT shirt!

Sr. Information Officer

Default Latin Lingus Quoterius

A fortiori - adj. and adv. [literally, from the stronger]For a stronger reason; all the more.

A posteriori - adj. and adv. [literally, from the latter] inductive; relating to or derived by reasoning from observed facts.

A priori - adj. and adv. [literally, from the former] deductive; relating to or derived by reasoning from self-evident propositions; presupposed by experience; being without examination or analysis; presumptive; formed or conceived beforehand.

Ad hominem - adj. [literally, to the man] appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect; marked by an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions
    made.

Ad infinitum - adv. or adj. [literally, to the infinite] without end or limit.

Ad nauseam - adv. [literally, to sea-sickness] to a sickening or excessive degree.

Camera obscura - n. [literally, dark chamber] a darkened enclosure having an aperture usu. provided with a lens through which light from external objects enters to form an image of the objects on the opposite surface.

Carpe diem - n. [literally, pluck the day] the enjoyment of the pleasures of the moment without concern for the future.

Casus belli - n., sing. and pl. [literally, occasion of war] an event or action that justifies or allegedly justifies a war or conflict.

Caveat - n. [literally, let him beware] a warning enjoining one from certain acts or practices; an explanation to prevent misinterpretation; a legal warning to a judicial officer to suspend a proceeding until the opposition has a hearing.

De facto - adv. [literally, from the fact] in reality; actually.

De jure - adv. [literally, concerning the law] by right; of right.

Dictum - n., pl. dicta, also dictums [literally, a thing said] a noteworthy statement: as a: a formal pronouncement of a principle, proposition, or opinion b: an observation intended or regarded as authoritative; a judicial opinion on a point other than the precise issue involved in determining a case.

Et alii - [literally, and others] and others; abbreviated as et al.

Et cetera [literally, and the rest] and others esp. of the same kind: and so forth; abbreviated as etc.

Ex parte - adv. or adj. [literally, from part] on or from one side or party only--used of legal proceedings; from a one-sided or partisan point of view.

Floruit - n. [literally, he flourished] a period of flourishing (as of a person or movement).

Habitat - n. [literally, it inhabits] the place or environment where a plant or animal naturally or normally lives and grows; the typical place of residence of a person or a group; a housing for a controlled physical environment in which people can live under surrounding inhospitable conditions (as under the sea; the place where something is commonly found.

In camera - adv. [literally, in a chamber] in private: secretly.

In loco parentis - adv. [literally, in place of a parent] in the place of a parent. n. regulation or supervision by an administrative body (as at a university) acting in loco parentis.

In medias res - adv. [literally, into the midst of things] in or into the middle of a narrative or plot.

Ipse dixit - n. [literally, he himself said it] an assertion made but not proved.

Ipso facto - adv. [literally, by the fact itself] by that very fact or act; as an inevitable result.

Lingua franca - n., pl lingua francas or linguae francae [literally, Frankish language] a common language consisting of Italian mixed with French, Spanish, Greek, and Arabic that was formerly spoken in Mediterranean ports; any of various languages used as common or commercial tongues among peoples of diverse speech; something resembling a common language.

Magna cum laude - adv or adj [literally, with great praise] with great distinction .

Magnum opus - n. [literally, a great work] a great work, esp: the greatest achievement of an artist or writer.

Memento - n., pl -tos or -toes [literally, remember!, imperative of meminisse, to remember] something that serves to warn or remind.

Memento mori - n. [literally, remember that you must die] a reminder of mortality; esp: death's-head.

Mirabile visu - [literally, wonderful to see] wonderful to behold.

Mirabile dictu [literally, wonderful to say] wonderful to relate.

Ne plus ultra - n. [literally, (go) no more beyond] the highest point capable of being attained: acme; the most profound degree of a quality or state.

Noli me tangere - n. [literally, do not touch me; fr. Jesus' words to Mary Magdalene (Jn 20:17)] a warning against touching or interference.

Nolo contendere - n. [literally, I do not wish to contend] a plea in a criminal prosecution that without admitting guilt subjects the defendant to conviction but does not preclude denying the truth of the charges in a collateral proceeding.

Non sequitur - n. [literally, it does not follow] an inference that does not follow from the premises; specif: a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent; a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from anything previously said.

Nota bene - [literally, mark well] used to call attention to something important.

Pax - n. esp, cap: a period of general stability in international affairs under the influence of a dominant military power--usu. used in combination with a latinized name (Pax Americana, Pax Brittanica, Pax Romana).

Per capita - adv. or adj. [literally, by heads] equally to each individual; per unit of population: by or for each person per capita of any state in the union.

Per diem - adv. [literally, by the day] by the day; for each day; adj. based on use or service by the day: daily; paid by the day; n. pl per diems a daily allowance; a daily fee.

Persona grata - adj. [literally, a pleasing person] personally acceptable or welcome.

Persona non grata - adj. [literally, a not-pleasing person] personally unacceptable or unwelcome.

Post mortem - [literally, after death] adj. occuring or done after death; pertaining to a post-mortem examination; n. a post-mortem examination, esp. an autopsy.

Post partum - [literally, after birth] adj. of or occuring in the period shortly after childbirth.

Prima facie - adv. [literally, at first appearance] at first view: on the first appearance; adj. true, valid, or sufficient at first impression: apparent ; self-evident; legally sufficient to establish a fact or a case unless disproved .

Pro forma -adj [literally, for form] made or carried out in a perfunctory manner or as a formality; provided in advance to prescribe form or describe items .

Quod erat demonstrandum - [literally, which had to be shown] which was to be proved.

Rara avis - n. pl. rara avises or rarae aves [literally, rare bird] rarity.

Res ipsa loquitur - [literally, the affair itself speaks] the affair speaks for itself.

RIP - [acronym of requiescat in pace] abbreviation, may he rest in peace, may she rest in peace; requiescant in pace = may they rest in peace.

Sine die - adv. [literally, without a day] without any future date being designated (as for resumption): indefinitely .

Sine qua non - n., pl. sine qua nons; also sine quibus non [literally, without which not] something absolutely indispensable or essential.

Sui generis - adj. [literally, of its own kind] constituting a class alone: unique, peculiar.

Summa cum laude - adv. or adj. [literally, with highest praise] with highest distinction --compare cum laude, magna cum laude.

Tabula rasa - n., pl. tabulae rasae [literally, smoothed or erased tablet] the mind in its hypothetical primary blank or empty state before receiving outside impressions; something existing in its original pristine state.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default sempre pronto

I confirm, friends, it means "always ready" - italian "sempre pronto", meaning to be prepared, set, arranged and trained to do something in every situation and event, that is typical mode for a firefighter.

(If you care, in Italy every town fire department has his latin motto from 1941 - http://digilander.libero.it/vvflegna...otti%20vvf.htm -)

ciao!

Thread Information