Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need A Little Advice

I have a question. I am 19 years old and starting out on a small town fire department. Can anyone give me any advice on the fire service and what and what not to do? You can e-mail me at HeriatgePatriots@msn.com

Thanks alot,
    Just need a little advice

Welcome to the greatest job in the world!

1. Respect the honor and traditions of the fire service.

2. Respect those who have done the job before you.

3. Keep your ears open and your mouth shut...pay attention!

4. When listening to the "war stories" learn to differentiate the "real stuff" from the "fluff".

5. Don't be afraid to think "outside of the box" once in a while.

6. A fire never went out by reading a book...you have to use the knowledge contained in the book, with some common sense, a little luck and a whole lot of courage.

7. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

8. Don't complain when given the dirtiest, most menial task in the firehouse...usually it is cleaning the bathrooms! We all did our time to clean the latrine.

9. When there's work to be done, take the initiative.

10. Most important: wear your stuff and go home safe and sound at the end of the shift and/or incident.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Dittos to the Captain, Never heard it put any better. Also good luck young man and may the Lord bless you.

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

I concur with all of the Captain's advice. Everything he said is very sound guidance, but I want to stress two of his points to you:

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    3. Keep your ears open and your mouth shut...pay attention!

9. When there's work to be done, take the initiative.

Print those 2 gems out and repeat them to yourself 3 times before going to drill each week (or however often they train.) If you follow those 2 rules you will make a good impression and you will succeed.

Forum Member

All good ways to EARN respect....congrats on joining.

Temporarily/No Longer Active July36's Avatar

Welcome to one of the most "rewarding" jobs in the world SMOKIN....and good luck in your travels.
    Other than this,I can really add no more other than what GONZO said as he basically said it all in a nutshell.

Donna C
    Fire Chief
    Bridge Canyon VFD
    http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Wink

In addition to the advice given by the good Captain...on drill nights...be the first one there, and the last one to leave. And yes...ask questions, pay attention...if you do not understand, again...ask questions. Your life will depend on your understanding of scenarios and situations.

Be safe!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

11. WEAR YOUR SEATBELT

Have fun and make sure to help out where you can. Gonzo said it best. But in addition to your new coworkers at the station, you have tremendous resources here in all the people who visit the forums. They've helped me out immensely. I hope you have a great time in the service....welcome to the club!
    Angie

Going along the line of the Captain's post....be seen and not heard.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

12. Do the right thing - even if no one else does.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

When the rooki/probie hazing starts, dont get to upset, just get even...

I dont care what anybody says, they pull crap on you, you have the right to give as good as you get.

I am not talking about swing fists, insults, or any such thing.

I am talking about good natured ribbing and returning the favor of practical jokes.

Just because you are a rooki doesnt mean you are below respect or less of a human being. Well, maybe it does, but you dont have to swallow it without chewing it up first!

Rooki hazeing is one of those fire service traditions that is passed down generation to generation, the severity varies greatly from deparment to department, region to region.

Recently there was a scandle with the BLM that involved rooki hazing. I cant find my link, but apparantly there was some sexual abuse against a female rooki among other such bull****.

If anybody touches you in a private place you beat the teath out of thier head. Also, if you see other rookies or anybody for that matter getting treated exseively bad, dont think you have to put up with it. It is wrong, and often criminal. Dont get caught up in the heat of a moment and do something you might regret later in life.

Be your own man, do you best, and do whats right, no matter what the consequences.

Dont worry though, the fire service for the most part is a good group, and not a lot of this sort of thing gets out of hand. I just wanted you to know that sometimes bad things do happen, and it is your duty to fight the good fight.

Give em hell.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Ditto to what Captain Gonzo and my friend NJFFSA16 suggest...

Show your interest and sincerity to do the job...

If you are hitting the sauce....STAY HOME!

Also...I suggest that you do a search of these forums using the words "Advice", "Probies," "Probationary Firefighters" and read some of that information.

Good luck and welcome to the best **MN in the world! Stay safe and good luck.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default All I can add is...

...to treat EVERYONE the way you want to be treated. Give respect and you'll get it, treat people like crap and you can count on getting a lot of it back. One other thing is to live up to your commitments. Don't EVER say you'll do something and then bail on it. Having people's trust is a huge part of this business, and like respect, it's something you have to earn, and speaking for myself, if I've lost trust in someone it'll be damned hard for them to earn it back.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

When the jokes - hazing - ribbing or whatever else you want to call it starts REMEMBER PPE is off limits - no shave cream in the boots

If you are a volly - drive like you have some sense because your life and anyone else on the road depends on your good judgements. The red light on your dash DOES NOT give you the right to the road.

MembersZone Subscriber

respect the dragon and slay it with all the knowledge and training you can absorb from those who are expeienced. remember no two are exactly alike and what may seem routine probably isn't. stay safe enjoy this job and welcome aboard.

Thread Information