Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Alabama Aerial Troubles

I have a friend in Alabama, who said a fire department in or near the city of Alabaster,Alabama had the heal pins on an ladder break and ladder fell to the ground. Friend Was not sure if any one was injuried or the type of apparatus this was. Looking to see if anyone in Alabama knows what happen or any more info. May have happen as long as 30 days ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was in the city of Alabaster. The truck is a E-One 75' Quint 1996 model that is also used as a first out ALS engine. I know they were doing routine morning checks on the ladder when the incident occured. No one was injured.
    Matt Griffin
    Chief
    Eastern Chilton County Division of Fire, Rescue, and EMS, Station 91.

Station2?
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

The incident occurred at Alabaster Station One.
    Matt Griffin
    Chief

Matt,
    It sounds as if you know some information about this. Can you tell us what happen and how much damage to the unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do I hear the "First" E-One failure. Let's all talk about this. Interesting? Just happy no one was injured.

MembersZone Subscriber

Resq14, I'm looking into it. Hope to know more soon. A previous failure in Newark was reported as an E-One and it turned out to be a Tele-Squrt. Glad that no fire service personnel were injured.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, initial reports are that it was a 1996 E-One Cyclone 75' rearmount quint. The pin failure did in fact occur. An interesting issue to this will be the lack of any lubricant in the heel pin area. There are zirc fittings located there for lubrication. Just what I have found out this evening from some friends. Still looking and contacting friends for more info.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Am I mistaken or has this happened before, also due to lack of maintenance? I seem to recall an issue with a department not lubricating a similar area, with similar results...
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

I was woundering if anyone would know this? If the heal pins failed would the ladder come crashing uncontrolled to the ground, like just falling out of the sky or how would it be?

Are zirk fittings just your average everyday grease fittings like you find on cars and other equipment? Just never heard the term, and can't find a pic on the internet within 2 google pages!

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

aka zerk fittings or alamites (alemites?)

yep, basic grease fittings
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

I can confirm everything Ullrichk said about the zic fittings. UL just recerted all 3 of our aerials nad after they put that powder stuff on em to xray them or what ever I got the honor of leading the pressure washing and regreasing detail. Oh what fun. And of course when I was done I got the whole well since you have the grease and the grease gun handy go ahead and do the chasis as well.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

On the next apparatus day on our E-One 100' aerial, I'm gonna count the number of zirc fittings that are present for the aerial, outriggers and chassis just out of curiousity. I know there are atleast 3 per outrigger but never counted them all, just lubed them.
    As for heel pin failure being catostrophic, oh yeah. There are basically 4 physical contact points for the aerial to the turn table on aerials. There are the 2 low points where the hydraulic lifting cylinders are connected to the turntable opposite where the lifting cylinders attach to the aerial itself. And then there are the 2 high points or heel pins. This is the only connection between the aerial and turntable without an intermediary item like the hydraulic lifting cylinders between them. You lose 1 heel pin and your in trouble, lose both and gravity prevales because the aerial only has the 2 low points of contact remaining (If your lucky). Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 11-19-2003 at 11:31 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Cool

Aren't there any grease fittings charts or CD's available that show you when and where to grease? Even our old ladder came with maintenance instrutions which we follow religiously, and likely had a hand in the longevity of our truck. Going around and playing hide and seek with grease fittings doesn't seem like a maintenance program.

Any ladder will fail if not attended to. Following the lube guidelines should be fundamental.

Okey Dokey.

"Zerks" (I like that word!) are a new pet peeve of mine. Long venting story left out, our officers where ordering about $1000 worth of parts to repair a leaking fitting. That I walked up to, wiped off a thick layer of grime and dirt, and greased the zerks. Leak stopped, ****ing amazing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal that is what happens when you let officers think they are in charge, and actually know something.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

i'm sorry to hear about e-one's problem, it's not a good thing to hear about a piece of apparatus failing, but, two good points came out of this, 1. no one was hurt, and 2. it was not on a fire scene, and it's nice to see that dalmation got it right (zerk), good job, now to the subject of ladders, yes, your truck should have come with instructions and maintaince manuals, as to how often your aerial is to be greased, don't ask, i forget, i would at least say once a month myself, but, that also depends on how often it is used, as to what gets greased, there are six pivot points to a ladder, 2 heel pins, unless it has a platform then the heel pin is one solid pin, but, it still has 2 grease zerks, then there are 4 lift cylinder pins, 2 turntable and 2 ladder, that also get greased, now, let me tell you, if you lose, anyone of the six pins, your screwed and it is considered a catastophic failure, and for good reason, now, when your greasing the pins, since your up on the ladder, don't forget to also grease the waterway, if you have one, there will be 2 to 3 zerks for that depending on how many sections you have, if it's a midmount there maybe more, and if you have a waterway don't forget the zerks on the monitor, just in case.

before i forget, you don't want to forget to grease the cable sheave wheels including the 4 under the ladder for the extention/retraction cylinder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well if I'm not mistaken the ladder was off to the side and when it fell it just basically hit the ground, I dont believe there was much damage done to the truck itself. Rumor has it,again rumor only, that the ladder had been removed by the city shop workers while doing maintainence, again rumor only.
    Matt Griffin
    Chief

Thread Information