MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alcohol in the station

Quote from Firehouse today."Some fire chiefs say it is an important tool for recruitment and builds camaraderie". Are you kidding? What are bars for. Work is work. Have you ever been in a police station and seen a bar? I'm guessing this is a volunteer chief. Any career FF's have a bar in the station house?
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Forum Member

My first reaction is to say, "I wish we had a bar!"

But then again, there's nothing but downside to that:

If the public got wind of it there'd be a revolution.

Nobody needs a sloshed firefighter driving or working.

If all I had to do when not on a run was drink beer, I'd weigh 450 or so!

"Alcohol in the station is an important tool for recruitment?" Yeah, I'd want to fight a fire with a bunch of people who can't wait to get back to the station so they can keep their buzz on!

"Alcohol is necessary for building comeraderie?" I think that guy needs to check into a 12-step program somewhere!
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Forum Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with a beer at dinner, i think we are responsible to know when is when and when not to go and when to, thats why I take the keys and when we are called you show up drunk your out, and if your at the station you can't leave, we have enough men to cover, I have a problem with the "higher ups" telling me how to do things, we have a good chief and my guys know better, i think we regulate ourselves well, It seems that most of these happen when off duty or out at a bar where they aren't as well watched as in the station. But thats my two cents keep the change
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
    “It’s like Lego’s for firefighters.” Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
    "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

FIGJAM

Do we have to go through this topic again? This has been rehashed so many times and always ends in arguments, name calling and all sorts of other issues....
    Luke

Originally posted by Robertsc
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a beer at dinner, i think we are responsible to know when is when and when not to go and when to,
    I have a problem with the "higher ups" telling me how to do things, we have a good chief and my guys know better, i think we regulate ourselves well,
    If you can't make it through your shift without drinking "a beer at dinner" you are not "responsible to know when is when" and you do not "regulate ourselves well". You are controlled by drinking and should get help before you put your co-workers, innocent people, or the people you are called to help, in danger!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

FIGJAM

Here we go again....

Hobbitt- let sleeping dogs lie.....
    Luke

Forum Member

Originally posted by lutan1
    Here we go again....

Hobbitt- let sleeping dogs lie.....

AMEN!! Brother AMEN!!
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Dear Lord, not again........please let this drop.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Not again......I think I need a drink!

Forum Member

I wonder why it was even brought up in the career forum, someone attempting to forment distention perhaps?
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information