Thread: Got Milk

Forum Member

Default Got Milk

Went to a very interesting call yesterday morning. A single axle milk delivery truck rolled over on a black top road in our district. The call came in as a single vehicle rollover with injuries and was expecting to find a car or pickup when I arrived on scene. But what I saw gave new meaning to the phrase “Got Milk”.
    The delivery truck had run off the road (due to mechanical failure), struck a culvert, and rolled several times. I didn’t realize how many of those red crates a truck that size could hold. We had milk products every ware. The road was closed all day while workers cleaned up the area. At least the firemen had a healthy breakfast drink while waiting for the wrecker.
    My pictures should be back today and will try to post some later.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

So, that explains the "Got Milk?" comment in another thread.....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was going to EMT school a long time ago, I stopped at a tanker rollover (noone their yet) on a back country road. Went to check on the driver found him ok....never thought what I was walking through or what he was carrying. On my way back to the car I noticed that it was milk. Then I thought about it, what if it was something else ?? After that I really do my scene survey and it began my obsessive interest in HAZMAT.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

MORE foreigners!! And another Buckeye at that!

CR, we GOTTA git that lock fixed!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

80, too bad it wasn't a budweiser truck. About 15 minutes after word got out, it would have been all cleaned up and the road re opened.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

ff7134 said
    On my way back to the car I noticed that it was milk. Then I thought about it, what if it was something else ?? After that I really do my scene survey and it began my obsessive interest in HAZMAT.
    That was my first thought when I arrived. It was dark and was not anything like I expected. The first thing I could see was the truck in the middle of the road and unidentifiable debris everywere. I had to stop for a second and wonder if I was way to close untill my eyes adjusted and realized what the truck was carrying.

Jack said
    80, too bad it wasn't a budweiser
    That is true Jack. They would have had to call out the national guard to secure that scene. Les thinks to hisself.....um wonder how many cases we could get on that engine?

MembersZone Subscriber

"The name's 80. 80FIRE!
    I'll take mine shaken; not stirred."
    Get it? 80 responded to a milk shake!
    Jack; I have had the distinct pleasure of responding to a Budweiser truck rollover. After checking on the status of the driver(uninjured), we were high fiving. Some were crying. Kegs and cases as far as the eyes could see!
    Unfortunately, the state trooper, and a good friend already had the bill of lading. Knew exactly how many was on the truck.
    Then there was the time a truck wrecked hauling new Maytag washers and dryers.
    You know; we could make money at this if we weren't so darned honest.
    And that is a good thing.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default Got Pictures

I have the pictures back and will try to post them. Havn't tried this before se maybe it will work. The picture were taken before daylight and didn't turn out as well as expected. Hope they show up.

This is all thats left of the truck. Not much metal support in a refrigerated truck body
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 80FIRE; 11-21-2003 at 05:49 PM.

Forum Member

Here is another showing some of the mess. Part of the truck bed is in uper left corner

Forum Member

This picture shows more milk. It was taken aprox 50 feet left of the last one. the rear axle of the truck is in very right side of picture. The truck is still further to the left. The pictures do not begin to show the mess. Note to self...save film for when sun comes up next time

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

The pictures look bad enough without the real thing being worse. Can you imagine what all that milk will smell like when it sours?
    We had a semi load of car parts - hoses, belts, wiper blades, etc. - wreck on the interstate one time. At least they didn't break. We just helped pick them up and threw them over the side of the bridge towards the remains of the truck.
    Had a train derail and dump a LOT of dog food in the middle of town. Ashley was real rank for several months after that. I'm glad I live 8 miles South of there and the wind blows the other direction during the summer.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Default Got Guts?

Several years ago, I responded mutual aid to a neighboring department with our tanker to assist with a "spill". It was one of those warm and oppressivly humid nights, and upon our arrival we were met with this gawd awful stench wafting thru the air that lingered right at ground level. Our assignment was to drop our water and then myself and another FF went to assist with washing down the highway, which was slicker than teflon! As we got closer to the offending truck, we started noticing various items resembling animal skulls and long stringy things. It turns out that the truck was transporting animal and cattle entrails to an incinerator facility. The truck was traveling at 60 MPH with an uncovered trailer and had locked up his brakes to avoid rear ending a car that had cut him off, and the entrails spilled over the top of the trailer all over the highway. Took 4 hours to wash down and 5 truckloads of sand to get the traction back. It also took 4 washings to get the aroma out of the turnout gear.
    Last edited by dmsmith; 11-22-2003 at 03:37 AM.
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

now thats FRESH !!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information