MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Breaking News: Train v. Truck w/ poss HazMat, Lee Co.

Breaking news:

Lee and Shabbona FPDs are working a train vs. semi crash in Lee County. Req. LifeLine helicopter, DeKalb with HazMat. There is a derailment with at least one tank car on its side.

More to follow.....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

.....Still waiting..

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Gimmee a chance. Mr. Impatient!

From the DeKalb Chronicle:

Train slams into truck outside Lee
    By John Kelleher - Managing Editor

Provided photo DENNIS OWENS

LEE - A truck driver for Browning Ferris Inc. of Aurora was critically injured when his truck was struck by a 43-car Burlington Northern and Santa Fe train in a remote area just west of the DeKalb County line Friday afternoon.

Lee County Sheriff's deputies said they did not have positive identification of the driver, who was taken by helicopter to St. Francis Hospital in Rockford.

The train was going about 50 mph and was blowing its whistle as it came to the crossing, said Deputy Jared Yater, the department's accident investigator. There are warning signs but no gates or lights at the crossing, Yater said.

The driver had apparently crossed the tracks and then backed onto them so he could turn onto a small path that runs parallel to the tracks, Yater said.

The driver was ejected from his truck and was thrown onto the roof of the train's engine. The train immediately slammed on the brakes, but it continued on more than 600 feet before it came to a stop, Yater said.

About eight cars at the front of the train then derailed, he said. Those cars were carrying automobiles and items such as furniture, he said. Nothing on the cars was reported as toxic.

The engineer and conductor were taken to Rochelle Hospital where they were treated and released. Their names were not released.

Three people who work for an electrical company witnessed the accident, Yater said. Browning Ferris was apparently working with the electrical company, hauling trash from the work site. Provided photo by DENNIS OWENS
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Not much left of that truck. We have responded to many train vs vehicle accidents over the years but never had one derail from it. But no matter how big the truck the TRAIN ALWAYS WINS.
    Glad to hear no haz-mat was involved. I noticed in the picture that the rear of the train was all container cars. God only knows what is being transported in them!
    Thanks for the update Jay
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

good wreck ..........bad outcome ...........quite a KERRRRRRRRRRBOOM !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information