Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question RIT Qualifications

For those out there that have RIT teams established or those that are currently in the process of putting one together I am interested in knowing what requirements (training/years of experience, etc)you require to become a member and team leader of the team. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

WE JUST STARTED AND INORDER TO BE IN THE TEAM, YOU NEED 5 YEARS AS INTERIOR SINCE OFF PROBATION ALONG WITH CPR, RIT CERTIFICATE,AND FIREFIGHTER 1 FROM ARE LOCAL ACADEMY. WE HAVE A MEETING AND A DRILL EACH MONTH AND YOU NEED A 75% ATTENDANCE RATE TO STAY ACTIVE. THEN IF GUYS WANTED TO JOIN BUT DID NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS THEY COULD JOIN THE SUPPORT TEAM WHICH WOULD HELP IF WE WERE SHORT A GUY OR TWO BUT THEY HAD TO DO THE DRILLS....... EVERYONE ELSE DID TO KEEP EVERYONE ON THE SAME PAGE. THE LEADER AND ASSIST. LEADER ARE ELECTED BY THE TEAM EACH YEAR. STAY SAFE. DEAN

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: RIT Qualifications

Originally posted by DepChief03
    For those out there that have RIT teams established or those that are currently in the process of putting one together I am interested in knowing what requirements (training/years of experience, etc)you require to become a member and team leader of the team. Thanks
    We originally went down the road of having only specific members of the FD become trained in RIT. However, as we worked to implement an SOG and formalize the RIT process, we learned two things:
    1. A good portion of RIT training is teaching firefighters to stay out of trouble, or to get themselves out of trouble;
    2. We didn't have the luxury of picking and choosing who would be on a given scene, so we needed anyone and everyone to be able to act as a RIT member.

As a result, EVERY firefighter was trained in building construction, the effects of fire, self-rescue and firefighter rescue. Any member could then be on the 3rd arriving company and serve as a member of the RIT.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

firemanjb are you saying that if you get those four or so classes you can be a member of RIT. Approximately how many hours of training are those courses? Reason I am asking so many questions is because there is somewhat of a debate about the requirements that are being set up for our RIT. I agree with you, we also do not have the luxury of picking from a lot of guys. We are a small volunteer fire department and as throughout the country, nobody seems to want to volunteer anymore. It is the same guys over and over again.

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Originally posted by DepChief03
    firemanjb are you saying that if you get those four or so classes you can be a member of RIT. Approximately how many hours of training are those courses? Reason I am asking so many questions is because there is somewhat of a debate about the requirements that are being set up for our RIT. I agree with you, we also do not have the luxury of picking from a lot of guys. We are a small volunteer fire department and as throughout the country, nobody seems to want to volunteer anymore. It is the same guys over and over again.
    It wasn't specifically four classes...those were the primary segments worked into a series of classroom and hands on trainings. We probably spent 6 hours in classroom and station drills, plus another 6 hours on multi-company drills. We developed the RIT SOG, then developed the training to ensure that everyone understood how to not need RIT, when to call for RIT, how RIT would deploy and operate, etc.

I was on an FD in IL; there was no formal RIT policy in our area, nor is there a state-mandated training program. We had to take what we learned from variou sources, and combine it into what would work for us. Last I heard, it is probably going to be adopted as the division-wide RIT SOG for our MABAS group.

If you would like a copy of the RIT SOG we developed, email me at:

jonathan_bastian@bullard.com
    Last edited by firemanjb; 11-24-2003 at 08:37 AM.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT Qualifications

I work in city with a population of 160,000 with coverage of 10 engines , 4 trucks(all staffed at 4 per, 1 heavy rescue(staffed with 5) and 2 battalion chiefs(each with an aide).

Our training division put all department members through a basic RIT course, similar to the one the State Fire Academy conducts. On all working fires in our city, an additional engine is assigned as the RIT company. It does not matter if all the members have been trained or not. Our RIT teams are not pro-active and frankly, it is not given a great deal of attention. There is no seperate sector or command set up if and when the RIT team is activated and honestly 4 people will not be enough to get the job done.

As a state instructor, I have attended dozens of RIT classes, all over the country, I do consider myself very knowledgable on the subject. I could go on and on, feel free to email me @ engine6bfd@earthlink.net with any further questions, I would be happy to help any way I can. I am constantly amazed when conducting RIT classes and seminars of how poorly prepared most departments are, but conducting a class is one way to cure that. Be safe and hope to hear from you.

Mike Donovan
    Fire fighter
    Bridgeport Ct

One of your options maybe a Mutual Aid agreement. I don't know the distance of your neighboring departments. My department has an agreement with 3 different departments. One is called as so as a working fire is transmitted in our district. In exchange we respond to their working fires. This has worked well for us. Our agreement started with one department 6 years ago and now we have three. There are a lot of pit falls to using your own department as RIT. I know from instructing and attending other trainings around the country, most departments who are lucky enough to get a 3rd due engine to respond have a questionable crew at best. Let's face it if it is a volunteer department your most active, motivated, and experience members are on the first trucks in.
    As far as qualifications our members have to be interior FF for 5 years, RIT trained, attend department RIT trainings and pass a final RIT hands on test to become a team member. To remain on the team you have to attend 2/3's of the scheduled training in a year. We try to train once a month sometimes more depending on available resources. As with the other gentleman I am also a state instructor but in New York. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at sfd806@aol.com. The best way to establish your team is just what you are doing. There are a large number of teams out there and many different ways to set-up and run your team. Ask questions and pick out what will work for you and your department. Dennis (Suffolk County LI)

Thread Information