Permanently Removed

Default IAFF on COPS tonight...Did you see it?

On COPS tonight in Victorville, CA, a San Bernardino County sheriff deputy pulled over a car with a IAFF sticker on the back. One of the occupants had some drugs on her.

Just remember to peel off the sticker before you sell a vehicle so we/they dont get any more bad press.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I've seen at least 2 cars with fd stickers get busted on that show. On one episode they arrested a guy for drugs who was wearing a DARE tshirt! just say no...

Forum Member

Bou, I didn't see the episode, so I'm asking...
    How do you know the person driving the car bought it from an IAFF member? How do you know they themselves weren't members or family members of Brothers or Sisters?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

If the truth be told. most of the crap peopole do to not get pulled over (stickers, hats, etc.) doesn't mean squat. If there is probable cause, more than likely the car will get pulled. Courtesy may then be extended to the driver, but that is a different story.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by mark440
    How do you know the person driving the car bought it from an IAFF member? How do you know they themselves weren't members or family members of Brothers or Sisters?
    Or, better yet, they probably bought the thing on E-Bay.

Or... My department isn't union, but one of our guys talked a union brother at a nearby department into getting him an IAFF sticker. Our guy now has it proudly displayed on his car's back glass. Why? I'll never know. I'm not a big fan of pretending to be something you aren't.

MembersZone Subscriber

george, I think most people who put hats/stickers/etc on their cars to try to avoid getting pulled over, aren't really what they are trying to pretend they are anyway.
    Bingo!

Forum Member

george, I think most people who put hats/stickers/etc on their cars to try to avoid getting pulled over, aren't really what they are trying to pretend they are anyway.
    Like being the parent of an honor student at Anytown Middle School"!

When I sold my 1992 Ford Explorer, I forgot to take off the IAFF sticker off of the rear window. A neighbor of mine bought the vehicle for his daughter.

She realized just how we care for "our own"...she ran out of gas one day and a firefighter saw her car on the side of the road, went to his house, brought his gas can and put a few gallons in the tank so she could make it to the nearset gas station! She offered to pay for the gas, and he said no... I'm helping a brother!

She did take the sticker off at my request
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire stickers dont get you out of tickets, they can even get you a ticket if you run into a disgruntled LE guy.

What does help is a sheriff and peace officers association sticker...

Much more effective then a fire dept or union sticker.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

My brother-in-law is a DPS Trooper and he tells me that many drug runners on the Interstate have peace officer association or similar law enforcement stickers on their car. Guess you never know.

Forum Member

What helps the most is simply following the law.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

She offered to pay for the gas, and he said no... I'm helping a brother!

He should've helped her because she was a person in need. Jeez, isn't anyone a good samaritan anymore? I will stop and help anyone I see in need on the side of the road if it is convenient to do so. I won't go up to another Interstate exit to turn around, but if I see someone coming up, I will usually stop and see if they need assistance, especially the elderly or females. It's just the right thing to do, Firefighter or not!

Bones, depending on the state, there is no law against displaying an IAFF or FOP sticker in your vehicle if you are not a member. The FOP and the IAFF in this area both have booster member stickers that you can display on your vehicle. These stickers look exactly like the regular member stickers. You see them especially during MDA time. The AACounty IAFF was giving out normal IAFF stickers that had the phrase "I support our Firefighters and the MDA" around them. Unless you got right on top of the vehicle, you couldn't tell the difference. I do agree that if you follow the laws, you shouldn't have to worry about being harassed by the cops. Tell that to Jesse Jackson....hehehe.
    Last edited by TillerMan25; 11-25-2003 at 10:27 AM.

Permanently Removed

Default Side note...

I know there are multiple reasons for a fire/IAFF
    sticker to be on a vehicle. (spouse, friend, etc..)
    Hell, my very best friend utffemt has one of my
    union stickers and shirts and his dept. isnt IAFF.
    So, cant do much about that, anyways...

Just wanted to say if I am flying down the road
    and see an IAFF sticker on a disabled car, I will
    pull over to check on them if they are in my area.

Kind of a nice thing to do for a brother/sister
    but it boils my blood if someone is displaying
    a sticker and isnt a member or worst yet, doesnt
    care about the fire service.

Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    What helps the most is simply following the law.
    Quite an interesting approach you've got there Bones.

You might just be on to something.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Obey the law that takes all the fun out of life
    GFIRE

Thread Information