Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A simple idea for RIC/RIT...(picture)

I was at a training class and the hosting department
    had this on the side of their engines and trucks.

Inside is the designated RIC/RIT equipment. Hope this
    might help some department out...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-23-2003 at 02:50 AM.

Thumbs up

Excellent idea!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Is that the compartment for "Really Idiotic Crap?" Very ingenious. That way, you aren't wasting time looking for things that you actually use.

Seriously though, I take it an RIT (rapid intervention team??) is the same as a FAST Truck, correct? Curious, what does RIC actually stand for?
    Last edited by UsingAllHands; 11-23-2003 at 01:24 PM.

Different terminology all over the place, pretty much the same thing

RIC: Rapid Intervention Crew

RIT: Rapid Intervention Team (what most in this area use)

FAST: ummm...brain fart...

1) Can someone please jog my memory about what FAST stands for?

2) Can anyone think of any other terms?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

FAST= Firefighter Assist & Search Team (Doesn't it? Got me wondering now, I thought I knew... )

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

I think Mark is correct on the FAST, can never remember if the S is for search or safety.

They are all basically the same with the exception of the FAST team. A true RIT/RIC does nothing but standby until they are needed. A FAST team can have other duties such as setting up ground ladders, shutting off utilities, venting windows. Nothing that is very tasking, but stuff that may need to be done and can free up other people.

At least I believe that is correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong

With a RIC/RIT, you just need one person monitoring the people. The other person(s) can be doing other duties. That's basically from OSHA's regulation in the 2in/2out ruling of the Respiratory Protection Standard (29 CFR 1910.134)
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

I have to disagree with you firenresq77. My area uses the term FAST. When we get to a scene we do 2 things...
    1.)Report in to the OIC
    2.)Stand there and do absolutely nothing. (except size up
    and monitor conditions
    Never have I heard of a FAST team doing anything. If the FAST team is sent to do something they become a unit that is operating on the scene and another FAST team is called in to replace them.
    I could be wrong but I have never been taught as a FAST team member to go and do other tasks, like vent windows! Doing other tasks separates the FAST "team" and can possibly limit their effectiveness if needed. But yes FAST/RIT/RIC is all the same

If I'm wrong please correct me! But this is what I have been taught

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I think you will fond most small dept's can't afford to have a team member standing there doing nothing so they get tasked to very basic jobs around the engine or entrance to the structure that won't require them to burn their air.

Obviously it is best if they are ready to go at 2 seconds notice, but we say 30 seconds after notification to enter the building. WCB accepts that as reasonable.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

This is what our FAST compartment on our main engine looks like.

Smile FAST

This is the inside of the compartment.

Default FAST

In our dept we have a minimum manning of seven personel. We respond to a structure fire with a pick-up with the IC, our main engine, with a pump operator and a Captain or firefighter acting as interior officer. Our truck has two firefighters, the passenger is on the hose with the officer from Engine 1, and the driver makes a quick decision to vent or grab the second line. The second engine with two firefighters, hook the hydratant and lay the line. One of the firefighters backs up the ladder driver and the other is on the FAST team with the pump operator. The firefighter from Engine 2 will do all tasks out side the structure including but not limited to, venting, setting ground ladders, pushing hose to the interior teams, etc. While doing this he is able to do a size up of the building while monitoring the radio for a Mayday. The pump operator mans his pump and sets out all of the FAST team equipment on the FAST only tarp. If the FAST team is called to duty, then the IC will operate the pump until the second alarm crew arrives. If the second alarm crew arrives before a Mayday call, two firefighters will be assigned the the FAST team only. Personnel will rotate out of rehab and into the FAST team before going back to work on extended calls.

Forum Member

Exclamation what else FAST can do..

We respond with minimum of 6 on the team, pair up, 1 pair stays with gear, 2 other pairs (or more if available) get proactive, walk around observe for problems, set up ladders on each side of building, opens windows, making 2 means of egress for every area possible, observe and report to FAST and OIC any observations, try to identify potential problems before they become problems. Always available on air, and in full gear, ready to respond.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Firefighter Advanced Search Tactis = FAST
    thats what I always thought it stood for.
    anyway stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department just completed RIT training in October. We set up our first out engine similar to the one in BOU's picture:
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

All of the RIT equipment is in a large bag:
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Firefighter Advanced Search Tactis = FAST
    thats what I always thought it stood for.
    anyway stay safe.

Firefighter Assist & Search Team

That's how I've seen it on every piece of documentation I've looked at.

We just call it RIT.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

RIT KIT contents: 150' Search rope bag, 150' rescue rope bag, MSA RescueAire II Emergency SCBA, TNT Tool, webbing, carabineers, wire cutter pliers, strobe light.

Other equipment not in kit but used for RIT: Thermal Imaging Camera, 6' NY Hook (all purpose hook), Irons.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

We also installed aluminum rails above our 3" hosebed to carry a Stokes basket:
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I think Mark is correct on the FAST, can never remember if the S is for search or safety.

They are all basically the same with the exception of the FAST team. A true RIT/RIC does nothing but standby until they are needed. A FAST team can have other duties such as setting up ground ladders, shutting off utilities, venting windows. Nothing that is very tasking, but stuff that may need to be done and can free up other people.

At least I believe that is correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Brian, What your speaking of is the "Safety Engine Concept" taught and written about by Tim Sendelbach. It's basically the idea of the RIT (or whatever your department calls it) doing proactive things to make the fireground safer such as setting up egress laddering, controlling utilities, etc.

FAST is just a regional name same as RIT, RIC, RAT, etc. Their basic function is the same: to be ready to go if a MAYDAY is called. Many departments make them standby at the command post but some are going toward this "Safety Engine Concept".
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information