What's happening in Beauregard Parish? Anyone have anything besides what appears in this article?
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Nov 22, 7:35 PM EST
6 Beauregard firefighters quit to protest firing

DERIDDER, La. (AP) -- Six firefighters from a rural fire department in Beauregard Parish have quit after their assistant fire chief was fired.

The firefighters walked off the job in protest on Friday at the Long Acre station.

Earlier this week, the district's board of commissioners approved of the termination of Edward Dale Stracener, prompting chief Christopher Cormier and five other firefighters to turn in their gear and keys.

"We hate to do this, but we have to take a stand," said Cormier, who has been chief of the station for only a few weeks. "They got rid of Dale (Stracener) because he is supposed to be a liability to the district."

Cormier said he does not know what Stracener did to be fired.

The chiefs and assistant chiefs from the stations signed a letter recommending Stracener's termination.

Stracener said he does not know why he was fired.

"They still have not told me anything," he said. "I think it was because I have been asking questions and making waves."

Stracener said the Long Acre station began operations in March and it has failed to get the support it needs from other stations in the district.

Information from: American Press

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.