Forum Member

Question Metal Halide Lights

I've noticed more and more rigs outfitted with the new Metal Halide flood lamps from Havis Shields in both 12volt and 220v.

I understand that they are brighter than quartz and draw less amps, but the price is pretty high.

Are the replacement lamps expensive? Anyone have likes / dislikes? Recommendations?

Thanks

dazed and confused

Our new ambo will be showing up next week with them. We went down to RoadRescue in South Carolina to do a pre-delivery inspection... and I have to say they are very bright. I feel they're worth it on a smaller vehicle that doesn't have a generator, or on a larger truck without a hot-shift PTO generator... OR as backups to the AC system.

They are $$$, and I'm sure replacement bulbs aren't too cheap. I don't have that info at the moment though. I know some other guys on here have some trucks with them already, so they'll probably beat me to it.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Do they have any kind of "warm up" period? Sometimes these things don't reach full brightness for a few minutes.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Thumbs up Metal Halide

Originally posted by nmfire
    Do they have any kind of "warm up" period? Sometimes these things don't reach full brightness for a few minutes.
    Yes, they do. We replaced the worthless NightFighters on our Quantum with the metal halide Havis Shield lights, and wouldn't trade them. They do have about a 30 second warm-up period, so we usually cut them on when we're approaching the block that the incident is located in. At full power, they produce a very crisp white light.

Thread Information