Thread: Drager SCBA

Forum Member

Default Drager SCBA

We are looking at purchasing new Drager PSS100 SCBA with 4500 psi, 45 minute tanks. Can anyone give me their thoughts on Drager SCBA, good or bad? We presently have MSA ultra lite II - 2216psi. Looked at a new MSA MMR and wasn't too impressed, but that's just my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

This question came up a while back. Here's the thread (it's short):

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=53759

We use older Draeger units, and my comments are in the thread. The new stuff certainly looks good, but I have not used it yet.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs up

My department currently uses the new Dragers your talking about. Personally, I like them a lot. They're nice... good quality, easy to work with, don't feel too heavy, have added padding, and sit more on the waist/hips than on the shoulders. The only other SCBA I have experience with are the Survivair Panthers (I like those a lot too!) and some of the older Survivairs --I don't know much about the MSA ultra lite II, so I can't compare them with the Dragers for you...sorry!
    hope this helped -Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Drager SCBA

I haven't used the Drager SCBA, but I have heard that some departments have had a problem getting what was promised by Drager at the time that they were purchased. I guess Drager has agreed in several bids to a "Technology Upgrade". This is were if any new technology is brought to market over a certian period of time, then Drager has to upgrade the units at no charge.

From what I have heard the departments that had this in their bid, and was agreed to by Drager, have not had the upgrades done and either have already filed, or are going to be filing lawsuits.

If anyone know of any futher info on this please post it.

Patrick

I am a sales person for draeger in NY and have never heard anything about any technology upgrade promises being offered. I would be curious to find out if it was just a slaesman trying to sell but not being honest. I will ook into this with my Sales manager and let you know, can you give me some dept names for investigation purposes.
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

You should check out SCOTT as there is now a brand new accessory for their SCBAs called the EVACpro

EVACpro is an emergency escape back-up respirator that attaches to the facepiece in the event of an out of air situation

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by tonymontana
    You should check out SCOTT as there is now a brand new accessory for their SCBAs called the EVACpro

EVACpro is an emergency escape back-up respirator that attaches to the facepiece in the event of an out of air situation

You sound like a salesman, you may want to check the TOS.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Draeger Air Packs

My department recently purchased 17 Draeger PSS100 plus units. We also have 17 30-mintue bottles, 17 45-minute bottles, and a RIT bag with a 5' hose.

When we ordered the units, we had every possible extra feature put in except for the buddy-breathing. Some of the features of the unit include integrated PASS, temperature sensor (on PASS and inside mask), a display for your expected time of working left (on the PASS display and inside your mask), and a HUD display inside of the mask.

According to the Draeger web site:
    AirBoss® PSS100 is Dräger’s latest high performance breathing apparatus, uniquely designed to shift the weight of the unit from the shoulders to the hips, thus reducing back strain and increasing stability. The unit is also designed to move with the wearer, both vertically and horizontally. This additional flexibility allows the wearer to work more effectively for longer periods of time, with less fatigue. The revolutionary adjustable 3-position backplate gives the wearer a means to achieve the perfect fit for any torso length.
    I agree with this statement 100%.

A few of the good things about the unit include it's light weight feel, the adjustable backplates, extra padding and so on. Ever had the problem of an airpack pulling your jacket up in the back? Not with this unit. Another good feature of the unit is that almost all of the weight rests on your hips/rear end. You can loosen the shoulder straps and the unit will still sit comfortably on your rear end. We have only had the units about a month, and haven't run into any problems (and hopefully won't).

One drawback is that you need a special adapter to fit normal cascade systems. The Draeger unit has 3 extra threads that will not allow many cascade systems to hook into it and seat correctly.

Here is the link to Draeger's main website: http://www.draeger.com/
    Here is a link to the unit that we have: http://www.draeger.com/ST/internet/U...ss100_plus.jsp
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

It must be an industry trend. Our new Survivair packs have one too. It isn't any type of air supply, just a single use filter.

Our sales rep never mentioned it as a feature, it just showed up in the box with the packs.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just bought the Drager PSS100, 4500, 45 minutes, Sentinel, amp, buddy breather.

They are simply great. So easy to use.

The sentinel is definatly worth the money. It is akin to a SCUBA dive computer, gives you breathing time left at current rate of consumption. It also can give you temperature readings.

We thought long and hard on getting these units. Scott Airpak 50, 4500, 45 minute, amplified was the competition.

After evaluating both SCBAs, the department voted unanimously to go with Drager. This is a department that had nothing but Scott since the origninal Airpak.

Dragers regulators are reportedly some of the best for very cold weather, one of our conerns, its 20 below zero as I type this.

They are seriouly comfortable, you cant even feel the harnis, just the weight, but that is on your hips, not shoulders.

As far as economics goes, one mask fits all. You dont have to worry about issueing a make to each member. The mask even sealed on a guy with a beard, never seen an SCBA do that before.

Warranties are good, yearly maintenace is very minimal, just a couple of O-rings and maybe some batteries.

Good units.

Scott is great, but this time, at least in my department, Drager beat them.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

We have been using Draeger for 15 years. The new packs really take the weight off of the shoulders. The maintenance is usually pretty simple (an o-ring or two annually) We have the new units but we did not get the heads up display. Had packs delivered just prior to mandatory use of heads up display. Drager put a couple of us through maintenance technician class to keep packs funtional. Draeger always ready to help with a problem.

Thread Information