Thread: Fdny Gear

Default Fdny Gear

Im going to be a probie, and was wondering when you go for your gear, and your uniforms. and where u go to get them?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    TP

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

The day you get sworn in, you will be given a time to appear at the quartermaster for all your stuff.

If you're being sworn in on wed the 10th, then you'll either go the following day, or the day after. I'd imagine you'll start probie school on Monday the 15th.

Best of luck to you. Get enough sleep each night, have a good breakfast each morning. Listen to everything they tell you, do exactly what they say. Lives depend on the skills you will be taught, so take it seriously!

Don't call an engine a 'truck.' Do a few extra pushups for me. See you in the firehouse.

Thanks, I will be sworn in on monday December 1, and then Probie school will start December 10. So you think that thell send me to the quartermaster the next day or will it hapopen the same day?
    And Thanks for your info, i am so excited and nervous @ the same time. Thanks and ill see you out there!
    TP

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Tom, There are many things you must do before you get your gear. But don't be worried, you will get it...and Tom don't be nervous. Keep your mouth shut and learn. GOOD LUCK
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Originally posted by tompfdny
    Thanks, I will be sworn in on monday December 1, and then Probie school will start December 10. So you think that thell send me to the quartermaster the next day or will it hapopen the same day?
    And Thanks for your info, i am so excited and nervous @ the same time. Thanks and ill see you out there!
    TP
    It definately won't be the same day. It could be any time from the very next day until the day before you start probie school though.

One other piece of advice I neglected to mention in my last post. Make absolute certain, as if your mother's life depended on it, that you are not late. This goes not just for swearing in, but for every day you're in the academy. Whatever time they tell you to be there, be there 1/2 hour early at the latest!

Forum Member

Hey FDNY brothers. Just curious what uniforms are you guys issued? Station, class A, jackets, coats, hats, and such. Just curious. Not specific brands, just styles, and quanity. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    Tom, There are many things you must do before you get your gear. But don't be worried, you will get it...and Tom don't be nervous. Keep your mouth shut and learn. GOOD LUCK
    Hey Ray, not to insinuate anything about this probie...

But that advice (Keep your mouth shut and learn), is possibly the most important lesson any probie could hear.

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks For All the Advice, i want nothing more in my life than this, and believe me, i will be there to learn and listen, and do whatever the instructors say... thanks again and ill see you out there...
    Tommy

Forum Member

Congratulations Tom, that is so awsome, I'm kinda jealous, still waiting for my turn. I'm on the next list coming up ...Good Luck man!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Hey Ray, not to insinuate anything about this probie...

But that advice (Keep your mouth shut and learn), is possibly the most important lesson any probie could hear.
    Keep your mouth shut...

What ever happened to asking questions?

Or are all fire instructuors so good that they get everything across the first time completely crystal clear? All you have to do is listen.

Well, I know that is not the case.

If I am not clear on something, I ask a question, IMO you learn more from doing that then from siting there like a bump on a log.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

Keep your mouth shut...

What ever happened to asking questions?

Or are all fire instructuors so good that they get everything across the first time completely crystal clear? All you have to do is listen.

Well, I know that is not the case.

If I am not clear on something, I ask a question, IMO you learn more from doing that then from siting there like a bump on a log.

That's not what we all mean by 'keep your mouth shut.' Of course asking questions is fine. So, for those of you who need it completely spelled out for you:

If you are unsure of something, ask your instructor. If you are confused about something, ask your instructor. If you have a legitimate question or genuine concern, ask your instructor. Other than that, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

How's that Sampson, better?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by UsingAllHands

That's not what we all mean by 'keep your mouth shut.' Of course asking questions is fine. So, for those of you who need it completely spelled out for you:

If you are unsure of something, ask your instructor. If you are confused about something, ask your instructor. If you have a legitimate question or genuine concern, ask your instructor. Other than that, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

How's that Sampson, better?
    Its Samson, and yes, it is better, thanks for asking.

There is so much probie bashing going on I DID need it spelled out, one could get the impression from this forum that a probie needs a duct tape gag to have a chance at surviving thier first week on the job. Every where you turn, "Keep Your Mouth Shut" is the advice to the probies.

I have not seen anybody say:

"If you are unclear on instructions, ask questions."

"If you are in doubt, ask questions."

etc...

So, for those of you who need it completely spelled out for you:

Hence the question, see my point?
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 12-01-2003 at 02:07 PM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay Probie,

By the time you read this you will be a member of the Greatest Job in the World. Tell Lt. Regan his old mutual partner says hello. Other than that, "KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT".

Post you results for the first run!

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Forum Member

Samson, don't bother mate. You're fighting a losing battle... I tried to put forth a more progressive view on the treatment probies in a recent thread and was met with much aggression.... Seems like people like the bastardisation method...

Oh well

Default BOOTS

Hey New York Brothers,

Have you guys heard of Redback boots?

www.redbackboots.com

Check'em out

Be safe,

Hootman

Forum Member

A lot of our probies come out these days thinking they know everything already, and when told to do something they want to question it instead of taking it for granted that the Vet telling you knows what he is talking about.

For those of you probies than need everything spelled out:

Just wait until you have been a ff for a while and get one of those probies with the "I know everything", "Why do I have to do that?", "He isnt doing that" attitudes. It GETS Old!!!

Hey HOOTMAN -

Read the user agreement you agreed to when you joined the Forums.

No pimping of products allowed in here.

Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Forum Member

It has been a while since I have posted here, but I think this is important. To Tom the new probie, good luck brother. Welcome to the best job in the world. The brothers who advised you to keep your mouth shut have given you great advice. I would like to add one other thing. It is what I call the probie triangle. The probie triangle will not help you at the rock, but when you get to your firehouse, be it slow, busy or somewhere in-between. Make the coffee, keep it hot and fresh and always ready to go, keep the kitchen sink empty, and then go to the rig. Clean the tools, go thru the compartments, learn where everything is, then learn how to use it, then check the coffee, clean the dishes, then head back to the rig. Do this over and over and over. It should be the center of your probie life. Ask the senior man what you need to know (not always the guy with the most time, but THE GUY in your groups, you will figure out who he is real fast don't worry or he will find you, don't worry lol. And one other thing When we say keep your mouth shut it is meant for that rare animal the know it all probie. I think I spotted one or two of them in this thread, watch them, observe them, and you will see what happens to them, but never never emulate them, its bad enough getting hit with the shrapnel you never want to take a direct hit lol.
    bob g R2 gp 11

Forum Member

Bob,
    Good to see you back and posting. Please continue to do so!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

You know what amazes me?

A new guy asks for advice, gets some from the job he is going to, and yet somehow we managed to turn this into a freakin debate.

Eyes Open, Mouth shut is a great way to learn. No one minds a question, its the 3/20 wonders (3 months on, 20 years of experience) that cause most of the heartburn.

Hey Tom, good luck. The guys here that have given you advice are stand up...follow their lead and enjoy the best career there is.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thank you BROTHER... rescue2bob
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob said it all.

Just don't say "where I come from..." or "In xxxx we did it this way."

Also, like said before, when your given an order, follow it. Don't question it. If you don't agree with it, discuss it back at the station. (excluding a firefighter safety issue of course)

Otherwise, relax, have fun. You got the best job in the world.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

R2BOB

Welcome Back! I'll see ya at Alice's on Saturday!!!!

Default Thanks For All the Advice Guys

I just wanted to say thanks, believe me that i am not one of those "KNOW IT ALL PROBIES" As i see it i KNOW NOTHING, all i know is that i want this more that i have ever wanted anything else in my life. so i will work hard, listen, and learn some more. and no matter how hard it may be and how much i may feel like quiting i never will. and you guys have my word. thanks for all the advice, and in 12 weeks or so i WILL see you out there.

TP

So, Tom...just between you and me...are you a volley on the outside?

Thread Information