Forum Member

Default Man Disarms Bomb Found in Driveway

PLAINVILLE, Mass. -- Police said a Plainville homeowner found a ticking time bomb next to his house, and after analyzing the device, disarmed it on his own.

News Channel 10's Larry Estepa reported that the man -- who wants to keep his identity secret -- said he has no idea who would leave the device, but he also has no second thoughts about what he did. He said he acted to save his rare dogs and his house.

The man found the device Thursday below a window. It was made from two containers filled with gasoline and diesel fuel attached to a timer and a battery. Police said the timer would trigger a battery, sending a spark to box of matches to ignite the fuel. Police said the device was designed not to explode, but to burn.

Plainville police Chief Edward Merrick said he has no reason to doubt the story, but he also called it a convoluted investigation.

"I'm taken aback by the fact that he had the guts or the foolishness, depending on your perspective, to step up and unwire this thing. I mean, touch the wrong wire, it's over," Merrick said.

The man said he never thought of running.

"Really, my biggest concern was my dogs and the house. I was concerned if I left to call the police, if I left the area, if I went back in. I didn't know how much time was left. I didn't know what to make of it. So, I decided to just disarm it," he said.

After disarming the bomb, the man moved it away from the house.

Estepa reported that the Plainville police, the state fire marshal, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will cooperate on the investigation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What a Pair

That guy has a set of soild rocks for balls.

MembersZone Subscriber

and/or Brains.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

He may well have done it like he said, but something doesn't smell right about that story. At least I want more background info on the guy - like was he a demolitions guy in the service or something? With no background in disarming bombs, the natural reaction is to not touch it, but to get away.

Anyone else skeptical? (until there's more info, anyway. I'm willing to keep an open mind to that extent.)
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Forum Member

He's no bomb disposal tech, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn recently!

On a serious note...by tampering with the device, he broke a crucial link in the chain of evidence, not to mention the enormous risk he took if he cut the wrong wire.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Not only did he break a critical link, I am certain that he spent a significant amount of time downtown chatting with the men in blue. The only thing that lends a tiny hint of credibility to the story is his dogs (ALF). But I would want a whole ton of answers from this guy in a short amount of time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like that guy has something going on, or he's got a heck of pair of cohones.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    He's no bomb disposal tech, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn recently!

On a serious note...by tampering with the device, he broke a crucial link in the chain of evidence, not to mention the enormous risk he took if he cut the wrong wire.

hmmm, do I cut the blue wire or the red one?!

Forum Member

Originally posted by SFDAJL52

hmmm, do I cut the blue wire or the red one?!

(note to self: If I ever design a bomb, make all wires the same color. Nobody will be able to disarm it!)
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Forum Member

im going to have to go with ed on this one. this story sounds a little fishy.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

CaptainGonzo wrote: "he broke a crucial link in the chain of evidence"

That's one of the reasons I'm skeptical of the story. "Yeah, my fingerprints are all over it - I tried to disarm it!"
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Forum Member

most of the lay public i have run into isnt going to be able to walk up to a bomb and determine well thats a C4 blast inducer with collapsable circuit (i just came up with a bomb description) and be able to disarm it. thats why bomb squads have to be highly technical, and trained.

On second thought i bet he did stay at a Holiday Inn as capt gonzo said.....or maybe he checkin into Paris Hilton, I mean the Hilton in Paris
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Before everybody goes thinking this was some sort of complicated device- anybody even looking at the TV footage of the device on the news could see that the method of ignition for the gas and diesel were MATCHES ductaped to the side of the container. Disconnecting the wires from the matches, the EGG TIMER, or the battery would have rendered the device harmless, with practically no fingerprints to speak of.

That said, would I have walked up to it on the street? Negative. Would I at least take a look at it if it was next to a house I wasn't done paying for yet? Maybe.

Forum Member

This wasnt very complicated from what I have heard here and seen on the news. The matches are used to make the gasoline explode which spreads,atomizes and ignites the diesel.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Would of sucked if it went up when he was trying to disarm it.

Forum Member

I agree on all points. Would I ever recommend anyone even go near it? Of course not. However, if this were my home and I saw that stupid thing sitting there, your damn right I would walk up and take the matches out or stop the timer. It's my house and no stupid egg timer is going take it down. Now, if I saw a wad of semtex attached to the wall, I would probably run for it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nmfire
    I agree on all points. Would I ever recommend anyone even go near it? Of course not. However, if this were my home and I saw that stupid thing sitting there, your damn right I would walk up and take the matches out or stop the timer. It's my house and no stupid egg timer is going take it down. Now, if I saw a wad of semtex attached to the wall, I would probably run for it.
    Two questions:

1. How much hazardous device training do you have?
    2. Does the word "booby-trap" do anything for you?

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Two questions:

1. How much hazardous device training do you have?
    2. Does the word "booby-trap" do anything for you?
    1. None, but I watch a lot of movies so I know what I'm doing

2. Yes.

All I'm saying is if this thing is as described (a piece of wire on egg timer going to a book of matches), and I walked outside to find a minute left on the timer, do you think I am going to wait 45 minutes for the bomb squad and let the piece of junk burn my house down?? I think not. You've got a 50/50 shot. If you do nothing, you lose no matter what. If you remove the matches or whatever is a feasable option that isn't damaging the circut, it's either going to go off anyway or it will just sit there. You can't really make it worse (assuming it is as described). Anything more complex than this has the distincy possibility of getting worse and vacating the immidiate area would be a wise choise.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nmfire

1. None, but I watch a lot of movies so I know what I'm doing

2. Yes.

All I'm saying is if this thing is as described (a piece of wire on egg timer going to a book of matches), and I walked outside to find a minute left on the timer, do you think I am going to wait 45 minutes for the bomb squad and let the piece of junk burn my house down?? I think not. You've got a 50/50 shot. If you do nothing, you lose no matter what. If you remove the matches or whatever is a feasable option that isn't damaging the circut, it's either going to go off anyway or it will just sit there. You can't really make it worse (assuming it is as described). Anything more complex than this has the distincy possibility of getting worse and vacating the immidiate area would be a wise choise.
    This was exactly how I thought you would answer. Pay attention. It may save your life someday.

Improvised explosive devices (IED) are just that-improvised. There are three things you should remember about them:
    1. There are no quality control standards
    2. They are limited in scope solely by the imagination of the bomber
    3. They are designed to kill people

I will not go into specifics of IED's here for security reasons. But I cam tell you that any trained HDT (Hazardous Device Technician) will tell you that focusing on the obvious will get you killed. One device that has been reported on in FD training classes is a device which clearly had a piece of burned out fuse attached to the exterior to make it look like the device malfunctioned. Hidden inside the device was a mercury switch-activated detonation device designed to function as the device is moved-presumably by some over confident firest responder.

If it looks like a hazardous device-it is automatically a hazardous device until someone with a lot more training than you have tells you different-even if it takes them 45 minutes to get there. You also absolutely have to believe that there is a secondary device nearby. The area is not safe to be in until it has been cleared by a HDT.

That one minute remaining would be better spent getting your family and your neighbors the hell out of harms way instead of trying to play Tommy Lee Jones and cutting the red wire. You can get a new house. You can't get new hands or a new face or a new thoracic cavity when that device goes off as you are attempting to be a hero.

Please take this in the spirit it was intended-to stop complacency about hazardous devices.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 11-30-2003 at 10:21 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You can't get a new thoracic cavity....
    Well put. I've heard the hands and feet line but Thoracic Cavity... thats a good one. And George, you should know this... It's the BLUE wire, not the red wire. And Tommy Lee Jones just catches the bad guy. It is Mel Gibson that cuts the wire. ("Murtaw! GRAB THE CAT!!!") Get with it man.

Very good point about the secondary device. Your right, where there is one, there is probably another somewhere.
    Last edited by nmfire; 11-30-2003 at 12:57 PM.

Forum Member

First of all, I agree. There is something very fishy with this story, both with the guy, and the background as to why someone would want to burn his place up. I would never have to caronies to go near it, no matter how much I love my house or dogs. Grab the muts and go. I also agree with George on this. Unless you are a qualified hazardous device tech, and studied every little aspect of the item at hand, your nuts to even think about being in vicinity of the device. It might look simple, but its not until proven otherwise.

Stay safe out there!!

Steve

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I gathered from the story it wasn't an explosive device it was an incendiary device.

"Police said the device was designed not to explode, but to burn."

Now it depends on how big of a flame it would put off...

Forum Member

engine1321 wrote: "From what I gathered from the story it wasn't an explosive device it was an incendiary device.

"Police said the device was designed not to explode, but to burn."

Now it depends on how big of a flame it would put off...
    "

But note that they discovered this in their examination of the device - nobody walked up to it and said, "That thing won't explode, it's just made to burn."

My original point in this thread was that the FD should be interrogating this guy for long periods of time - he didn't exhibit "normal" behavior.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I gathered from the story it wasn't an explosive device it was an incendiary device.
    It makes absolutely no difference. That is why the correct term is "hazardous device".
    My original point in this thread was that the FD should be interrogating this guy for long periods of time - he didn't exhibit "normal" behavior.
    The FD should NEVER interrogate anyone. That is a police function. Do you carry Miranda cards? Do you know all of the legal requirements for interview and interrogation? Have you been trained in the proper methods of interview and interrogation?
    I didn't think so.

Forum Member

George,please email me at BNSFGP38@aol.com
    I was interrorgated by the FD here in sept. in an arson case and I got a few questions about how "legal" that was.

TIA
    Jesse
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information