MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lancaster, Massachussetts LODD

A firefighter was killed in a house fire early Saturday (11-29) as a result of falling into a basement of a farmhouse. 2 other firefighters were injured in an attempt to rescue him.

God Bless you brother... "Lay down good sir, your job here is complete. step forward to meet God, and walk the gold street."
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Rest in Peace ......

My thoughts are with his family at this time. May they find the strength they need to get them through.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Lancaster is about ten miles from Marlborough. Their new interim Chief is a former Chief from my FD. He recently took over until a new chief can be hired.

The other two firefighters were seriously injured.

Rest in Peace, Brother.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

My heart goes out to his family and brother firemen. May the Lord give peace and strength to the family and his fire dept.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Forum Member

My deepest sympathy for his family, friends and brothers. May the 2 who were injured make a quick and full recovery.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

thanks for the heads up...............my condolences
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

God bless our lost brother, and grant his peace to the family and fellow firefighters. Praying for a sucessful recovery for the two injured firefighters.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Forum Member

John 15:13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Go in Peace brother, your job here is done.

Forum Member

Rest easy brothers, you have done your job, and done it well. I extend my condolences to the family of our fallen brother. I also wish for a speedy and complete recovery for the injured brothers.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

I just got back from there a couple hours ago, we were 1 of several cover companies. Very sad for sure. He left behind 2 children and a pregnant wife thats due anyday. Rest in peace.

Scott

IACOJ Agitator

Rest in Peace, brother!

It is a shame.

News Video can be found at www.necn.com
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

RIP Brother.......
    Anyword on funeral arangements?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This is the sad reality of our deadly business.

Forum Member

I just found out that onme of the firefighters seriously injured is Clinton FD Deputy Chief John McLaughlin. "Mac" is an instructor at the Massachusetts Fire Academy and is one hell of a jake.

He is critical but stable conditon at UMass Medical Center in Worcester.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Firefighter killed in Lancaster fire
    Saturday November 29, 2003
    LANCASTER, Mass. (AP) Residents of Lancaster and Clinton were grieving Saturday for a volunteer firefighter who died when he was he was unable to escape the basement of a burning house.

Martin McNamara, 31, of Clinton, a three-year veteran of the 30-man Lancaster force, died early Saturday morning after a series of explosions in the basement of wood frame multi-family home. Three other firefighters escaped, but rescuers who went back for McNamara were driven back by flames and were unable to reach him.

McNamara, who had recently celebrated a birthday, was survived by two children, his pregnant wife and firefighters in Lancaster and surrounding towns in mourning for a fallen brother.

``It's very clear members of the Lancaster Fire Department and surrounding area fire departments have suffered a loss,'' state Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said Saturday. ``It's a very close-knit group.'' He said critical incident stress teams and fire department chaplains were in Lancaster and surrounding towns to help the community cope with the loss.

Steven Hilliger, a firefighter and chair of Lancaster's board of selectmen, said the loss reverberated deeply in the firefighters' community, including some of McNamara's relatives.

``The fire departments in this community, they're like a big fraternity of people, and they're all very close,'' Hilliger said. ``Right now, it's really tough.''

Hilliger, who is Lancaster's interim fire chief by default as chairman of the board of selectmen, said that the fire department was keeping in close touch with McNamara's family.

``He leaves behind two small children, a wife who's due like tomorrow,'' he said. ``We have made our resources available to the family and we're helping in whatever way we can.''

The victim's father, also named Martin, was at the fire scene late Saturday morning.

``Marty was the kind of son that every father and mother would ever want,'' he said. ``I guess the only consolation we can take from it is that he died doing something that he loved to do.'' McNamara was among firefighters trying to control the fire in the basement of a wood-frame multifamily home on Mill Street, near Atlantic Union College.

Coan said McNamara joined Clinton firefighters, responding on mutual aid, who arrived to find heavy smoke rising from the basement at about 3:48 a.m.

McNamara and three Clinton firefighters were in the basement when there were ``what were reported to us as series of small explosions,'' the origin of which remains unknown, Coan said. ``That caused conditions in the basement to deteriorate very rapidly.''

The firefighters in the basement called for help, and rescue teams assembled and rushed into the basement, where they found and assisted three Clinton firefighters, Coan said.

During a roll call outside, the firefighters discovered that McNamara was missing.

``Several different attempts were made to re-enter the basement,'' Coan said, ``but crews were driven back by heavy fire.''

McNamara's remains were recovered after the fire was knocked down, Coan said.

Coan said the cause of the fire and the explosions is not known and remains under investigation. He said investigators were expected to return to the scene Sunday morning.

Two of the three Clinton firefighters were treated and released, Coan said, The third, Clinton Deputy Chief John McLaughlin, was being treated at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester.

Hospital officials would only confirm that McLaughlin was a patient. Coan said McLaughlin was in serious, but stable, condition.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Link to the article above

Climbing Monarch Place to honor the FDNY in full pack and gear with the Hatfield Gang!

On behalf of Hatfield, Ma Fire Dept, I extend our deepest sympathies to Firefighter McNamara, his family, and the Lancaster Fire Department.

Thank you Captain for the update, and I will be in Lancaster for the Service.

-Brin
    www.hatfieldfire.org
    www.cornerstonecafe.net e soup

As a former Lancaster resident with many friends on the force, my heart and prayers go out to all of you.

MembersZone Subscriber

On behalf of the Houston Fire Dept and Local 341. I extend our deepest sympathies to Firefighter McNamara, his family, and the Lancaster Fire Department.
    May you rest in peace brother. The bells will be silent for you tonight.
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Sleep in peace brother.

On behalf of the Sturbridge Fire Department, Sturbridge, MA, I offer my most sincere condolences to the McNamara family, the members of the Lancaster Fire Department, and others who responded with Firefighter McNamara on his last day of duty.

Nick DaDalt
    Sturbridge Fire

Forum Member

Rest in peace Brother. Best wishes to everyone involved at this difficult time.

Forum Member

Good Bless our fallen brother's family, and may our brother rest in Peace. My thoughts and prays go out to his family and crew.
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

On behalf of the Brandon, MN Fire Department, I wish to express our sincerest condolances to the family and friends of the fallen firefighter and wish a speedy recovery to those who were injured.

Wayne Stephens
    First Responder Coordinator
    Brandon Fire and Rescue
    Brandon, MN

On behalf of The Norwich Fire Fighters Local 1404, Our condolences to the family and friends of Fallen Brother Martin.

My we all find strength in our Hearts to support Brother Martins family and friends.

ftm-ptb-egh

IACOJ Agitator

Firefighter dies in house fire
    Explosion heard when Lancaster blaze began
    By Peter DeMarco, Globe Correspondent, 11/30/2003

LANCASTER -- As smoke billowed from the basement, Marty McNamara and fellow firefighters grabbed a hose and entered the front door of a Mill Street home early yesterday morning.

Minutes later, there was an explosion. Then possibly another. Firefighters outside the apartment house raced inside to rescue their colleagues.

Three firefighters, blinded by smoke, followed their hose to a basement stairwell, from which they were pulled to safety. But 31-year-old McNamara, a father of two with another child due this month, never made it to the stairwell. His body was recovered a short time later.

As Lancaster, a small Central Massachusetts town of 7,400, mourned its first death of a firefighter, Clinton firefighter John McLaughlin was listed in serious condition at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester.

Clinton firefighters Edward McNamara (no relation) and Terrence Parker, who also went into the basement, were taken to Clinton Hospital, where they were treated for exhaustion and released.

"Marty was the kind of son that every father and mother would ever want," said his father, Martin McNamara. "He was a loving father, husband. I guess the only consolation we can take from it is that he died doing something that he loved to do."

"We were in Worcester, you know," said Lancaster firefighter Pat Goodwin, referring to the 1999 warehouse fire that killed six firefighters. "We were there. It was that same feeling I never wanted to feel again. It's unbelievable. All I can think about is this guy's family. God bless them. Our prayers are with them."

By daybreak, the 150-year-old multi-unit home lay in ruins, after all the residents escaped safely from the 3:40 a.m. blaze.

State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said investigators had not determined the cause of the fire. The home was heated by a natural gas furnace, and residents reported waking up to the sound of "a boom." However, Coan said the blaze may have started prior to the explosions.

"Possibly, as that fire developed, there was a leak in the gas," Coan said. "But I don't want to speculate to any extent that it was the cause of the fire."

Coan said firefighters followed proper protocols when fighting the blaze.

Because portions of the building continued to burn well into the day, fire officials and State Police were unable to begin examining the basement to determine the cause of the blaze until late afternoon. They expected to resume their investigation at 8 a.m. today.

Marty McNamara, a Clinton resident whose father and grandfather were former Clinton selectmen, hailed from a large family. Besides being an on-call firefighter, he was employed by a Sterling drilling company, and had two daughters, Molly, 5, and Elizabeth, 2, family and friends said. His wife, Claire, is nine months pregnant. McNamara celebrated his 31st birthday the day before.

Clinton Fire Department Captain John McNamara, Marty McNamara's cousin, said his cousin's goal was to become a full-time firefighter. "Preferably here in Clinton, but he would have gone anywhere for it," he said.

Others who knew McNamara said he was the kind of man "who would do anything for you."

"Our main concern now is John McLaughlin," said John McNamara, referring to the Clinton firefighter who was upgraded from critical to serious condition last night at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, where he was treated for heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation. "We're sweating that out. The first 48 hours are critical. Our prayers [are] with him. We lost one. We almost lost two."

Two of McNamara's brothers-in-law, also firefighters, helped battle the blaze.

More than eight fire companies assisted the Lancaster department.

Lamont Plowden, 26, a history teacher at the Greater Boston Academy in Stoneham, who lived on the second floor of the house, said he was awakened at about 3:30 a.m. by "a boom." Seconds later, the building's fire alarms sounded.

Plowden walked into the hallway but noticed nothing unusual, so he said he returned to his bedroom to put on his winter coat to go outside. By the time he stepped back into the hallway, smoke had engulfed the entire stairwell.

"It took me 15 seconds to walk back over to my bed, grab my jacket and walk back over to the door. Fifteen seconds. That's how fast the smoke was," he recalled. "As I was walking through my house to the fire escape, the smoke was coming out through my couch. I assume it was coming through the walls."

Five other tenants, including the home's owner, 82-year-old Loraine Moeckel, all made it to safety by the time firefighters arrived.

As firefighters from Clinton and Lancaster raced through the large, 2 1/2-story home searching for occupants, others began venting the roof, battling fierce winds and a slight drizzle.

"The first flames we saw, that was well after the first firefighters were here. We saw the first four go in. Then I know one guy came out. He was frantic. I couldn't understand what he was saying, but he was yelling something," Plowden said. "I know they pulled out two guys, one guy was on a stretcher, and they took him away. . . . I remember seeing one guy, they just put him at the base of the stairs and guys were taking off their equipment. I guess they were doing CPR."

Firefighters made several attempts to rescue McNamara from the basement but the smoke was too thick. His body was pulled out shortly afterwards, with firefighters holding up green tarps to shield McNamara from onlookers, and he was loaded into a waiting ambulance, according to Heather Friske, a neighbor who lives across the street.

"I thought his family was there. A chaplain [went] with them in the ambulance," she said while staring out at the charred remains of the home as firefighters continued to douse the burning embers. "That poor guy right there, that firefighter from Shirley," she said pointing to a nearby firefighter. "He came in to use the phone. They say men aren't supposed to cry. Well, I saw several men bawling their eyes out. It was a hard day for them. Not only did they work hard, but they lost a brother."

McNamara's father, in a brief statement, thanked his community for its outpouring of support.

"Every time you get a call like this you think about it. You just never think it's going to be any of you own," Goodwin said, holding back tears. "You're always there for each other. But sometimes things happen and you can't be. And that's the worst feeling in the world."

Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Thread Information