Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter Training Requirements

I am doing some research on the MINIMUM reqirements for a brand new firefighter to be able to begin structual firefighting. I want to know what your state laws require for training. I also would like to know what the MINIMUM requirements are to be a fire officer in your state.

Shafer607, it depends on whether you're volunteer or career. Career firefighters are required to attend an Alabama Fire College sanctioned rookie school that gets them to at least NPFA FF-I level and in many cases includes EMT-B and FF-II. Some departments conduct their own schools, others send their new recruits to the Fire College.

The volunteer world is an entirely different story. There is no state-mandated training requirement for volunteer firefighters. Each department determines who can engage in interior attack or for that matter any other fireground activity. The fire college does have a 160-hour certified volunteer firefighter course that includes NPFA FF-I and first responder. It is an excellent course but it isn't required. It is taught both at the fire college and at many local sites. Our county association usually conducts one a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thank you for the info I am tring to find out how Indiana compares to other states

MembersZone Subscriber

Will DoD certification suffice? Thanks

Default Out of State training

Does Alabama except out of state training/certifications?

Thread Information