Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter Training Requirements

I am doing some research on the MINIMUM requirement for a brand new firefighter to be able begin structural firefighting. I want to know what your state laws requires for training. I also would like to know what the MINIMUM requirement is to be a fire officer in your state.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

607, it is variable. There is NO STATE REQUIREMENT for minimums.

Having said that, let me through in this little caveat: Illinois Depart of Labor (IDOL) enforces workplace safety issues (IL is not an OSHA state). IDOL requires a minimum of 16 hours per year of respirator (SCBA) training; quarterly training for interior structural firefighting; 8 hours of driver training; 8 hours of HazMat training; training in "special hazards" (confined space, trench, collapse... no set hours, awareness is okay); 3hrs minimum bloodborne pathogens; right-to-know (stuff used around the station, i.e. car wash solution, foam, cleaners, etc., same as any other employer).

So, technically, if your department does no interior firefighting and no special hazard response, you'd only need driver training, right-to-konw, and blood-bourne pathogens.

I think.

The State Fire Marshal's Office has no minimums.

As for officer training, again, the only IDOL requirement would be Federal, that is, the incident commander at a hazardous materials incident MUST have HAZMAT IC certification.

Recommended training is this from OSFM:

Fire Officer I:
    (prerequesite of Firefighter III)
    -Instructor I
    -Tactics and Strategy
    -Management I
    -Management II
    -Fire Prevention Principles
    (each of these is a 40 hour class)
    - One year experience in officer training (dept specific)

Fire Officer II:
    -Instructtor II
    -Tactics II
    -Management III
    -Management IV
    -Five years experience as an officer

Hope this helps.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by jaybird210
    607, it is variable. There is NO STATE REQUIREMENT for minimums.

Having said that, let me through in this little caveat: Illinois Depart of Labor (IDOL) enforces workplace safety issues (IL is not an OSHA state). IDOL requires a minimum of 16 hours per year of respirator (SCBA) training; quarterly training for interior structural firefighting; 8 hours of driver training; 8 hours of HazMat training; training in "special hazards" (confined space, trench, collapse... no set hours, awareness is okay); 3hrs minimum bloodborne pathogens; right-to-know (stuff used around the station, i.e. car wash solution, foam, cleaners, etc., same as any other employer).

So, technically, if your department does no interior firefighting and no special hazard response, you'd only need driver training, right-to-konw, and blood-bourne pathogens.

I think.

The State Fire Marshal's Office has no minimums.

As for officer training, again, the only IDOL requirement would be Federal, that is, the incident commander at a hazardous materials incident MUST have HAZMAT IC certification.

Recommended training is this from OSFM:

Fire Officer I:
    (prerequesite of Firefighter III)
    -Instructor I
    -Tactics and Strategy
    -Management I
    -Management II
    -Fire Prevention Principles
    (each of these is a 40 hour class)
    - One year experience in officer training (dept specific)

Fire Officer II:
    -Instructtor II
    -Tactics II
    -Management III
    -Management IV
    -Five years experience as an officer

Hope this helps.
    LOL We don't even do training burns here in Geneva.
    Even funnier I heard the POC's won;t be able to drive because of most of them don't have FAE. Sorry i quoted ya

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks Jaybird

Thanks for the Info I am just getting as much info on state requirements to see how bad Indiana compares.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks Jaybird

Thanks for the Info I am just getting as much info on state requirements to see how bad Indiana compares.

Default Watch out pup, I've got my newspaper rolled up and ready to go.

LOL We don't even do training burns here in Geneva. Even funnier I heard the POC's won;t be able to drive because of most of them don't have FAE. Sorry i quoted ya
    Do yourself a favor. Don't be so quick to dis your department. You are an explorer on a combination department that just went union. There may not be room for many more POC's. Talking crap like that won't get you anywhere.

Why don't you explain to me what is so funny about wanting the people driving the rigs to have Fire Apparatus Engineer certification.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Thread Information