+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Presidential candidate

This really infuriated me last night and I did not wish to turn the Lancaster, MA LODD posts into a political statement.

I was at work last night watching the news about the funeral of the Lancaster, MA firefighter. I live three towns away from Lancaster and am quite familiar with the town.

I remember the IAFF and the PFFM (Professional Firefighters of MAssachusetts) putting their political support behind John Kerry becuase of "His support of rfirefighters."

Well, wouldn't you know it, Mr. Kerry was in Massachusetts yesterday for a political speech in Boston, the same day Massachusetts firefighter is buried. The governor and several other state officials were at the funeral but lo and behold the Mr. Kerry was not.

I understand that there are prior commitments and such but it irritated me and a firefighter I was working with last night, that he cared not to show his public support for a firefighter in his own state who died serving his community.

Just another politician paying lip service to the public safety community.

My appologies for this ranting but my blood is still boiling up over this.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

DaSharkie...

We don't always agree on politics, but I am in total agreement with you here. I was at Marty McNamara's funeral with 14 of my Brothers from Marlborough and many other Brothers from all over New England and New York. The "career vs. call/volunteer" crapola was transcended for Marty.... It was Brothers and Sisters honoring a Fallen Brother.

Kerry blew it big time.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Bush has had and will continue to have my vote in 04'.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Right on Stm4710!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire Chaplain

Gonzo is my president
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Right on Rev!!!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Well, what do you say Captain Gonzo?

Are you going to run for President? I'll bet you'll beat Kerry in Massachusetts.

I'll probably even vote for you. In the primary.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Nope... couldn't be President except for the IACOJ.

I am far from politically correct (too far right for the liberal vote, too far left for the conservative vote)... the there is the matter of my long haired playing in a rock band days...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    then there is the matter of my long haired playing in a rock band days...
    Are you suggesting there was a little "inhaling"??
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got done reading an article detailin gthe "Hate Bush" meeting in Hollywood on 12/2. Seems the Hollywood elite is uniting to get rid of our Pres.

Their couldn't possibly be better news. These people are so out of touch with the rest of the coutnry that this meeting is a great omen.

I stood out in the woods for 8.5 hours as Pres. Bush was speaking in our county on Mon. Snow, wind, cold. Can't see me doing that for one of the nine viallge idiots.

Forum Member

Not defending Kerry, BUT...

I seem to remember several years ago a Governor Bush missing the funeral of 2 Houston firefighters killed in an arson fire at a McDonald's, even through he was only 15 minutes away. Come to think of it, I also remember him denying permission to flag flags at state buildings at half mast for the dead brother and sister, yet demanding them placed at half mast when Tom Landry died (citing him as being an "American Hero").

Maybe I'm just cynical, but they're all the same to me (Although I'm pretty damn sure President Gonzo wouldn't miss any funerals).

With 250 million people in this country, you'd think we'd getter a better selection than these 10.

But then, we could always do worse (you know, like we always have).

--RFB--
    Last edited by KingHippo; 12-03-2003 at 07:20 PM.

Forum Member

Default You DID make it politcal Sharkie

I am not making excuses for Kerry, but how many of you would accuse him of using a funeral to be political if he had indeed shown up? ... Rest in peace Marty... I think the original post is WAY out of line.

Oh boy, stepping through a minefield here...

I think some of the feelings involved here are "Massachusetts" feelings for lack of a better word. This is the home state of Tip "All Politics is Local" O'Neil after all. Memory banks are digging deep down, but I think he also commented on political success in Boston being tied to how many wakes you attend...maybe it was one of the other politicos.

And while Worcester was on a larger and thankfully much rarer scale, it did bring out the politicos big time right up to President Clinton and Vice President Gore.

Bottom line, ya woulda been nice and in keeping with state customs. But ya know what? Kerry's proven himself to be a friggin idiot under a toupee, so why let him get under your skin? Never thought that bad of him until this campaign...wonder if like Bob Dole he just has some god-awful advisors watching the poll numbers too closely.

Forum Member

how many of you would accuse him of using a funeral to be political if he had indeed shown up?
    Actually, I would have preferred to see hime there for many reasons:

1) He is a senator from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

2) A firefighter from his constituency died, in the line of duty.

3) He has stated many times that he is behind and supports
    firefighters.

4) He has garnered the support of the major union representing
    firefighters, and the state affiliated organization for
    that union.

5) It is the right thing to do. The governor, attorney general,
    and several members of the state and federal legislatures
    were present at the funeral.

I seem to remember several years ago a Governor Bush missing the funeral of 2 Houston firefighters killed in an arson fire at a McDonald's, even through he was only 15 minutes away. Come to think of it, I also remember him denying permission to flag flags at state buildings at half mast for the dead brother and sister, yet demanding them placed at half mast when Tom Landry died (citing him as being an "American Hero").
    This has been addressed here many times and if I recall, then governor Bush was actually out of state when this occurred adn the Lt. governor was in charge during that time.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but they're all the same to me
    Sadly, most of them are.

I think the original post is WAY out of line.
    I don't find it out of line at all, of course I did write it.

I was just extremely upset that a senator thought it more important to give a speech in Boston than to attend a funeral for a firefighter in his own state. Especially when espousing himself to be "pro-firefighter." I do not appreciate being patronized by anyone, especially a politician who couldn't care less about me. I despise hypocracy and pandering and, as I said I was, and still am, upset about his actions. I simply needed to express my anger and frustration to a group of people that would understand my anger and see if anyone else was feeling the same way since word of this does not necessarily get out or is even noticed.

I make no apologies for my feelings or statements.

This was not meant to push forward one candidate over another or have any political motivations, though I do not support, nor have I ever voted for - nor will I ever vote for Mr. Kerry. I don't think I could ever get teh filthy feeling washed off of me. I am still scrubbing off the bad ooze from the one time I voted for Ted Kennedy.

I can't believe I typed that and admitted it publicly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just another politician paying lip service to the public safety community.
    While I agree Kerry missed an opportunity to show his support by showing up(he could have avoided being accused of grandstanding by not making a statement), it isn't fair to accuse him of paying lip service to firefighters.

The IAFF has offered many valid reasons for their endorsement, such as:

1. Co-sponsorship of collective bargaining legislation

2. Supporting the FIRE Act from it's origination

3. He wrote the Federal Firefighters Fairness Act

Those are just three examples off the top of my head. I would say that they represent far more than lip service.

Regardless of whether or not you support John Kerry, it is pretty easy to see why the IAFF chose to endorse him. He is supportive of their legislative priorities.
    Last edited by Duffman; 12-03-2003 at 10:46 PM.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

"This has been addressed here many times and if I recall, then governor Bush was actually out of state when this occurred adn the Lt. governor was in charge during that time. "

I stand corrected.

Forum Member

Regardless of whether or not you support John Kerry, it is pretty easy to see why the IAFF chose to endorse him. He is supportive of their legislative priorities.
    I never said, in this thread, that the IAFF or PFFM was wrong in endorsing him, my problem was with a candidate who claims to support firefighters and be pre-firefighter that did not show up for the support of a group of fellow firefighters and family, even the community, that lost a member while in service to them.

Forum Member

Just got done reading an article detailin gthe "Hate Bush" meeting in Hollywood on 12/2. Seems the Hollywood elite is uniting to get rid of our Pres.
    And, this has what to do with the original post?

Their couldn't possibly be better news. These people are so out of touch with the rest of the coutnry that this meeting is a great omen.
    Just as the right wing fundies on YOUR side (Falwell, Robertson) are even MORE out of touch with mainstream America. Talk about village idiots. I would rather have "Hollywood" on my side any day, than a bunch of fanatical religious fools.

I stood out in the woods for 8.5 hours as Pres. Bush was speaking in our county on Mon. Snow, wind, cold. Can't see me doing that for one of the nine viallge idiots.
    Eight and a half hours in the driving snow, huh? I'm sure your "viallge" is proud of you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would rather have "Hollywood" on my side any day, than a bunch of fanatical religious fools.
    I personally don't want either of them on my side. But if I had to choose I think I would rather have the Religious guys. Personally I don't think I would want a bunch of people who support Rapists (Roman Polanski,) Inbreeding Pedophiles (Woody Allen,) or Child Sexual Predators (Michael Jackson,) in the name of "Artistic Freedom" making my political choices for me.

In the words of Laura Ingraham- "Shut up and Sing"

If I want the opinion of some overpaid hollywood boob, I'll ask for it.

As far as John Kerry is concerned. I would also rather not have some political halfwit who was a Military Traitor making decisions of National Defense and Security. When are people going to realize that the opinion of Hollywood is about as important as what was in Al Capones safe? Lets review some of the Democratic Presidential Candidates.

Al Sharpton: Hate Monger. Incited the Crown Heights Riots in NYC and caused the deaths of 7 people by inciting violence in the Freddies Fashion Outlet in the Bronx and made a national fool of himself by supporting that lying scum Tawana Brawley.

Howard Dean ( I am petitioning the family to change my Dead Grandfathers name to something else This boob will only ensure a Bush Victory. His ignorant comment about Southerners should let most people know how he views this country.

John Kerry: I think I already covered my feelings on him.

Joe Leibermann: Probably the best thing the Left has right now. He seems moderately liberal and looks like a cool guy to talk to. He realizes the problems facing us with Homeland Security and this War. Al "Bore" Gore may have trashed Joe's Political clout with his whining over the election though.

As far as the rest of them go, I don't know. I haven't paid much attention to them.
    Last edited by TillerMan25; 12-04-2003 at 10:57 AM.

Forum Member

Default Oh, the shame....

DeSharkie you 'admit' you voted for 'Teddy K.', man you got big ones!!!!! Good people can make bad mistakes, glad you've snapped out of it... Of course here I sit and we have 'Hillary', but I promise I have never and will never vote for her (or him either). Politics is SSSssoooooooooooo much fun. Was it Bill the cat, that said it best, "Aaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! or was it AAaaaaUUuuuCCCccccKKKKkk". LOL
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Forum Member

His ignorant comment about Southerners should let most people know how he views this country.
    And, just what comments would those be?

MembersZone Subscriber

Eight and a half hours in the driving snow, huh? I'm sure your "viallge" is proud of you.
    Perhaps I wasn't c;ear enough...I was on a Security Detail. I wouldn't stand out in the snow like that unless I was getting gobs of OT

And, this has what to do with the original post?
    Probably nothing. But it reinforces the desperation of the left.
    Just as the right wing fundies on YOUR side (Falwell, Robertson) are even MORE out of touch with mainstream America. Talk about village idiots. I would rather have "Hollywood" on my side any day, than a bunch of fanatical religious fools.
    Ya know something, we agree on this. You have never seen me post that I subscribed to the "Religious Right". Ever. Seems like you owe me an apology on that one.

As far as LODD funreals, someone enlighten me. With the exception of Worcester, is it common practice for a Governor to attend? I have been to a bunch of LODD funerals, fire and police, and have never seen the Governor of NJ. Not once.

MembersZone Subscriber

And, just what comments would those be?
    "I want to be the Candidate for the guys flying Confederate Flags from thier Pick-ups"- Howard Dean.

Please Stay in Vermont Mr. Dean...We don't want you in Washington D.C. (Which is technically in the SOUTH!)

Nozzleman, you being from Tennessee, I would think this would offend you. Do you fly a Confederate Flag from your POV? Sounds to me like a generalization of all people in the South as "Stars and Bars" flying Rednecks who drive Pickup trucks. I figured Tenn. was a pretty conservative state....I mean Al Gore didn't even take his home state in 2000.

Bottom line is the Democrats fall flat on their faces with most endeavours they engage in. It's almost historically proven that they can't even run wars (Roosevelt is the exception) properly without extreme losses and little gain (Vietnam, Korea.) Now do not take that as a job any Korea or Vietnam Vets because I would never crap on their sacrifices. But what did we really gain? In Vietnam, we bailed the French out and gained absolutely nothing...it's a Communist State now (I am sure, much to the delight of the Libs at the time.) But lost over 52,000 troops. Korea, we aided the S. Koreans and a UN force to once again, try to stop Socialist Invasion of the South. Lost over 50,000 Americans and for the last 50 years have had troops stationed on the DMZ for what?

I will support our president in the justification of this war. But once this is over, we need to start worrying about ourselves and stop trying to solve the worlds problems.

Forum Member

I'm beginning to think state & federal presence is a crapshoot in terms of LODD's, to the point that figures decide whether or not they WANT to make the service. I remember a fairly big incident in Iowa not long after Worcester that got overlooked because of timing. I don't think Iowa's loss was realized by the nation because the spotlight was already in Worcester. Because the fire service is such a high profile profession, deaths especially in multiples get even more attention. I don't claim righteousness, but we are talking about brothers & sisters dying in the line of duty. It helps the brotherhood for high officials to acknowledge selfless heroism and tragic loss. Clinton & Gore did a great job with the Worcester event, and I have to say Guiliani, Pitaki, and Bush came out strong after 9/11. I don't think it's necessarily the magnitude of the situation that dictates the height of exposure, as 1 loss is no less tragic than multiple. My applause to those who consider themselves supporters of the fire service and do all that's possible to respect & honor it, and I can only hope others will follow suit and help make a better name for politics.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Perhaps I wasn't c;ear enough...I was on a Security Detail. I wouldn't stand out in the snow like that unless I was getting gobs of OT
    Oh! Well, then...that's a lot different.

Ya know something, we agree on this. You have never seen me post that I subscribed to the "Religious Right". Ever. Seems like you owe me an apology on that one.
    Oh, I didn't say that you subscribed to these guys beliefs. I just said they were on your side!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information