Thread: Firehouse Fires

Forum Member

Default Firehouse Fires

Making a presentation to the city for sprinklering our stations. Does anyone know where we can find stats for fires in fire stations?

Thanks.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

Try a search on this website!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I performed that same search when we were in the process of designing our station addition. I pushed for sprinklers, and kept getting the reply: we are a fire station, made of brick and metal, what is going to burn? So I found at least 5 stations that had fires, and presented them to the design committee, and we are now in the process of building our new apparatus floor complete with a sprinkler system.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

sometimes the sprinkler system won't work. one of our stations cought fire once. it was beacuse of a bird nest on one of the lights and it cought the roof on fire. just my opinion.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Moose2028
    sometimes the sprinkler system won't work. one of our stations cought fire once. it was beacuse of a bird nest on one of the lights and it cought the roof on fire.
    Incorrect. The sprinkler system worked just fine. It was not designed, nor meant, to extinguish fires on the exterior of the building.

Sprinklers are still the best weapon against loss of life and property due to fire. Every single firehouse should be sprinklered (and should have adequate manpower, equipment, training, I know ... I know ...).

Stay Safe

Forum Member

i never said it didn't work!!!!

all i said is that it WON'T work. beacuse of the fire being above the sprinklers.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course the system won't catch fires above it, and yes every structure that houses firefighters or firefighting equipment should be sprinklered, just because it seems a bit hypocritical if we tell people to get residential sprinklers and then the fire station burns down...

I disagree with saying that sprinklers are the best weapon against loss of life due to fire. The best defense is early prevention and mitigation of a fire hazard. Sprinklers act as a safety net in case we humans fail to properly identify and remove the hazard. Fortunately for us, we can not remove the stupidity hazard (or job security) from people so they need something to hold back their mistake until the cavalry arrives. There are some fires that sprinkler systems just can't handle.

Forum Member

Originally posted by engine1321
    I disagree with saying that sprinklers are the best weapon against loss of life due to fire. The best defense is early prevention and mitigation of a fire hazard. Sprinklers act as a safety net in case we humans fail to properly identify and remove the hazard.
    I understand what you're saying, but your best defense is not working. That's like saying that the best defense against terrorism is convincing them that they don't want to attack us. Sure, sounds great in theory, but hasn't worked too well in practice. It doesn't mean we don't do it, but there's got to be another plan.

A few parting thoughts ...
    According to NFPA research, when sprinklers are present in a building, the chances of dying in a fire are cut by one-half to two-thirds, compared to fires where sprinklers are not present.
    There has never been a multiple death in a fully sprinklered building anywhere in the world.
    Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Those are true, but comparing fire to terrorism isn't the best analogy. People don't intentionally catch their house on fire like a terrorist would destroy something, unless it's arson.

The only reason there hasn't been a multiple death in a sprinklered building because the sprinkler activated and either stopped the fire, or delayed it's spread to enable the occupants to get out. That's the only thing fire sprinklers are used for. Simply to stop or delay the spread of a fire. They are not intended to extinguish a fire.

You also to look at what it takes to maintain a system. It has to have quarterly, annual, and semi-annual testing. These are definately not "fire and forget" systems. And provided Joe Homeowner even knows the first thing about what he has installed in his home, it may or may not work, provided he survived the cost of having one installed.

Only a properly maintained system can be relied upon in a fire. This is why I push for fire prevention and home safety inspections harder than retrofitting residential sprinkler systems in exisiting homes or the two in tandem, simply because a homeowner may not know sqaure one about the thing until we get in there and tell them what it is and what it does.

IACOJ BOD

for info on house sprinklers visit the New Zealand Fire Service page at http://www.fire.org.nz/home_kids/cam...sprinklers.htm

For a damn good look at fire spread and flashover sneak a look at http://www.fire.org.nz/home_kids/cam...d_of_fire.htm#

Now sprinlers may or may not put it out, but they do damn fine at suppression, and if that means you can pull the BRT out of the door and put the fire out, it makes sense
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Originally posted by engine1321
    Those are true, but comparing fire to terrorism isn't the best analogy. People don't intentionally catch their house on fire like a terrorist would destroy something, unless it's arson.
    Haha. And I don't think people get hit by terrorists on purpose either.

Thread Information