MembersZone Subscriber

Default Christmas Trees & Sprinklers

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/index.php?ID=2767

I realize that we need to make laws that protect people but I think that this is a little over board.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Patrick

According to the very statistics the fire service puts forth to the public "there has never been a multi life loss fire in a structure with a properly maintained and operating sprinkler system."
    Whatever it takes is worth it for any life saved.
    This law covers structures where what one person does can affect the life safety of many others that have no control over the danger they might be exposed to. This could be likened to seat belt laws. While I personally do not like seat belts as they are currently designed, it is a proven fact that they can and do save lives and I wear mine even though I am not comfortable with it.
    While I think a real tree is better - the lives of my neighbors is more important.

Forum Member

While I was in college we watched a video from N.I.S.T. and NFPA that shows a christmas tree that was not watered for a few days that wsa lit on fire by a lighter, for instructional purposes.

In less than 30 seconds the treee was going like a snot and starting the ceiling on fire.

It took about 2 minuteds for the smoke detector to go off so by then your escape route could be cut off and visibility about nill due to smoke.

College kids, elderly, handicapped are all at higher risk from this.

Absolutely no problem with the law here either.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wow!

drkblram hit the nail on the head. Nobody believes how hot and fast a dry Christmas tree will burn until they've seen it.

Take a look at this USFA video and see if the rule seems overboard.

They only banned them in unprotected apartment complexes. Lots of potential victims living in unprotected, mostly older structures (the article says new complexes are sprinklered). You're just piling one risk factor on top of another. I think it is VERY appropriate and may just save someone's life but I'm surprised someone had the guts to enact it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Overkill? Look at the video.

"Going like snot" is fire fighter-ese for FLASHOVER. In less than 40 seconds from inititiation to FLASHOVER! You can't even get the disptahcer to answer the phone in 40 secs.

Look at the occupancies you have these things in. Office buildings, churches, etc. Even though they may be bannedin public assembly occupancies, you will still find them out there.

Defintiely not overkill.

Forum Member

one year the mississippi state capitol building put up a fake x-mas tree (for fear of the fire hazzard) and the tree burnt down. . ironic?????
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

In the high-rise apartment complex I work, NO real trees are allowed. The entire building is sprinklered as well. There is no doubt in my mind real trees should not be allowed in college dorms. Nothing else needs to burn in these types of structures. (as I sit in my desk chair which is partially burned by my roommate playing with a lighter )

Isnít there a pending bill somewhere requiring all college dorms to be retrofitted with auto sprinklers?

I definitely think it is not overkill. My dorm is an old army barrack building (VERRY OLD). There was another building, exactly the same as mine which completely burned to the ground in the 70ís. I canít imagine what would happen if a fire started in my dorm.

Thread Information