Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Layoffs in Cleveland

Well it is official; well as official as it can be. One hundred and fifty brothers will be laid off in Cleveland. As of this writing, without injunctive relief from the courts the members will be required to turn in their gear and badges on Friday. We (I am one of the 150) will be placed on two weeks paid administrative leave before we are actually laid of on 22 or 23 December. The city says this is so we can spend more time with our families and look for other employment opportunities. In reality, the two weeks off is so the city will not have to bear any additional overtime that would result from us using our sick time. Which, by the way, the city has already stated that they will not pay us for at the time of separation.

So the outlook is bleak here in Cleveland. We have not given up the fight however. We will stand strong and continue to stand up for the safety of our families and the citizens of the City of Cleveland. Any support is greatly apprecciated.

In closing, there are 150 trained, qualified firefighters out there looking for an opportunity to serve; if anyone knows of any hirings or openings please let us know.

Thank you all very much
    Scott (skhendryx@peoplepc.com)
    "Never Forget; Together we are Strong"

MembersZone Subscriber

My husband is also a Cleveland FF. He is at Ladder 13 but they will be relocating and become Tower 9.

What station are you at?

MembersZone Subscriber

And for the record. This is horrible for all involved; for you losing your job and me who has to live in the city where there is no ladder company anywhere around any more.

You and your families are in our prayers, you know the brothers and their families will do what we can to help you out. God Bless.

Forum Member

Hang in there, you guys supported us back when we here in Cincinnati needed you, and you better believe that we are here for you, just ask and we will be there. On a side note, how big a dept. is Cleveland, because if we lost that many here in Cincy that would be like losing 1 out of five guys approximately. I don't get it though, how is the administration justifying this? Isn't public safety the number 1 concern these days? Man what is going on in Ohio nowadays? Between the sniper in Columbus, the police thing here in Cincy, and now this in Cleveland...what next? Toledo falling into the lake?
    "We had trouble putting out the fire because the house and everything in it was burning at the time"---The Chief while speaking to the press--no lie

MembersZone Subscriber

150 is 15% of the department. They are also laying off 260 police officers. It's a mess. They are also talking about making three man apparatuses instead of four. Screw that.

My husband's ladder company is one of seven (there are 16 in the city) closing. He will be the only ladder company on the east side of the city, or close to it.

So much for search and rescue. Looks like it's surround and drown from now on and hope that no one gets killed.

The rest of the city is losing approximately 120 workers for the rest of the departments. Bogus.

Forum Member

Three man companies? That's is below minimum manning allowed here. Is there anything that can be done to try to fight this in court? What are your options? I hate to say it this way, but this might give other cities in the area the validation to make cuts too. They are trying to get rid of a couple trucks here, and this might make it easier for the administration to justify it. This affects everybody in the area, so we have to support our Cleveland brothers and sisters as much as possible..
    "We had trouble putting out the fire because the house and everything in it was burning at the time"---The Chief while speaking to the press--no lie

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure what's being done, there are so many rumors right now. I know the union has been talking court but I'm not sure what decision has been made. This has all come about in the past couple weeks, even though the budget has been a problem for months. How do you OOPS lose $65 million dollars??? This administration can't handle the budget. It's amazing how they want concessions and are broke right before it's time to negotiate contracts (March 2004).

Here are some of the possible concessions:
    -4% pay cut
    -no raises for 3 years
    -no clothing allowance
    -higher healthcare costs to workers

And the worst part? It won't even save all 150 jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just talked to Husband...the city is a mess. A true cluster-fork if you get my drift.

I feel for my Brothers to the North. Well I guess that they may be able to save some basements with all the cuts in staffing and shutting down houses. Boy does the family of the first person killed in a fire after the cuts have a lawsuit . And we all know that that isn't going to cost the city.

But look at the bright side...Mayor Campbell save the City a little money when her husband turned in his City owned SUV .

Hang in thier Brothers...You have our support.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

It is so sad. I just talked to Husband and his ladder is closed. He's been detailed three times today alone.

As long as no one gets hurt and nothing catches on fire we'll be fine.

Thanks for the support everyone, the guys appreciate it.

I pray for the members of this department and their families. Apparently there may be some hope as it appears a Judge has halted the lay-offs for now.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information