Man killed after driving on wrong side of I-95
By Derek Simmonsen staff writer
December 3, 2003

ST. LUCIE COUNTY -- A man was struck and killed on Interstate 95 early Monday after troopers said he caused an accident by driving on the wrong side of the road.

The incident took place at 12:15 a.m. on I-95, a mile south of the Indian River County line, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report. The middle-aged man has not been identified, pending notification of next of kin.

The man was reportedly driving his 1988 Toyota southbound in a northbound lane on I-95, when his car collided head-on with another vehicle. A teenage girl in that vehicle was driven by ambulance to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to Battalion Chief Carlos Duran, a St. Lucie County Fire District spokesman.

No one else in the vehicle was seriously injured, he said. The identity of the driver and passengers in that vehicle was not available.

The Toyota was badly damaged and was blocking traffic in the northbound lane after the collision, the report states. The man got out of the car and was walking around when he was reportedly hit by a 1997 Toyota car driven by Charles M. Greenberg, 21, of Coral Springs.

Greenberg was unable to see the man or the vehicle disabled in the road, the report states. Both the man and his car were knocked into the center grass median, and he was pronounced dead at the scene by rescue workers.

The Toyota was totaled in the crash. Neither Greenberg or his two passengers -- Joshua Patterson, 19, of Tamarac, and Robert Grant, 20, of Coral Springs -- was injured, the report states. All three were wearing seat belts at the time of the accident.

The northbound lane was briefly closed following the crash, Duran said. FHP is continuing to investigate the incident.

- derek.simmonsen@scripps.com