Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cost of chassis remount for pumper

I'm sure somebody has some good info on this, so here goes:

It's never too early to think about FIRE grants for next year, so I'm looking into the cost of a chassis remount for our second-due pumper. It was built in 1986 but blew its pump and had a 1970 model pump installed in around 1990. The tank rusted and was replaced two years ago.

What I'm investigating is whether anyone has had a body and tank re-mounted onto a brand new chassis and simultaneously replaced the pump, and if so, what it cost. The truck is on a 2-door GMC right now, and we'd be putting it on another 2-door commercial truck (station too small for 4-dr).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Default Bump!

Just trying to keep this one visible. Hope somebody's got an idea for me.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd suggest with a body that old perhaps looking at a late model used chassis. Lots of off least mid sized trucks available. Shop and can find low miles (less than 150000mi).

Worked on a similar project last year that did not happen. Plan was to send used chassis to a builder to construct a complete pumper truck. Found a 2000 (2yr old) FL70 longggg wheelbase flatbed CAT diesel Allison auto rear air-ride with 28000mi for $18000. Flatbeds are apparently stepchildren in used truck market and have lower resale than box. 1250gpm pump was around $15000 installed.

Complete project would have run around $85000 including shortening chassis, add big alt, lights etc. Also reprog engine to increase output from 250hp to 330hp (bigger injectors and reprog) and remap transmission for fire dept use (neither are big deal cost about $1000).

FYI this chassis list was $75474 but lease company purchase price was $43440.50. So LOT of room for negotiation on price.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another suggestion for you if you are sure you want to buy a new chassis. Check out https://www.hgacbuy.com/ You will have to req. a password to access.

This is a Government Cooperative Purchasing Program that has contracts that apparently any other gov. body can utilize. We're shopping for an F450 chassis cab for a brush truck and I've found the contract prices listed are much better than the similar contracts that State of Iowa has negotiated. Trucks up to CL8 are listed.

Thread Information