Thread: Truck belts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Truck belts

My mom was thinking about getting me a leather truckmans belt for Christmas. The only problem is, not many people around here wear them, and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. If anyone uses one or has seen one used, please post a reply and enlighten me. Thanks!
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Forum Member

If you dont know what you need it for thats probally a good sign you dont need it.

By some webbing,rope, aluminum spanners or some Essentials books ,they are a better investment.
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-05-2003 at 07:37 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Already got em. My mom's buying it as a Christmas/turning 18 and becoming a senior member present. I figure if I'm not paying, I'm not goin to say no to it.
    Rob
    Captain
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Forum Member

Well if thats the case...... get this.
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=786
    I use this ALL the time in drills. It fits in your pocket or on your new Truck belt or scba harness.

Anyway a truck belt is used to carry tools to free up your hands.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

lol, I just got one of them too. A member up and quit and we got to fight over his personal gear and stuff. Thanks man, I'll probably get a strap to carry a handlight with, like FDNY does.
    Rob
    Captain
    Gloucester County, NJ

Forum Member

truck belts are used alot here. on ff carries his rescue rope, flashlight, small ax, small hallogen, and other stuff like that. they can also be used in an intreor search and rescue. if you are using a hand tool, such as an ax, you can tuck it in your belt when you find the victim, so you don't have to leave it behind.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had a Truckie belt for a while. I carry 2 Wedge-its on a clip. A Pelican Pocket Sabre-lite, My gloves on a homemade glove keeper. We have a large majority of guys wearing them. Just remember don't put a bunch of crap you will never use or will hinder you putting it on. Then you look like a fire whacker . I also clip my scba mask bag to it but that come off in the truck.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your going to use it for when your a FF and if the problem arises if you need to bail then I wouldn't get a truckmens .I bought a "Escape Belt" I used to have a an old truckmens belt my stepdad gave me, but he told me to get a escape belt.They make 2 different kinds kevlar and nylon.
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm?cID=1070

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly what situation are you as an Explorer going to get into that would require an Escape belt? And if you are trained correctly all you need is a tool (axe or halligan) 25'+ of rope and a caribiner. An escape belt is good if you are issued one or you have tons of money to waste.

Just my "lowly" opinion as a Firefighter...not an Explorer Chief.
    Last edited by ff7134; 12-09-2003 at 01:17 PM.

IAFF Local 3900

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I've got one, I clip a box light to it and put a tool through the big 3 inch ring when need be. It can be used to help remove a victim, just take it off and put it around the victim's chest, and voila, now you have something to hold on to instead of fumbling with the limp body by itself. And yes, I've tried it, and yes, it does work.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ff7134
    Exactly what situation are you as an Explorer going to get into that would require an Escape belt? And if you are trained correctly all you need is a tool (axe or halligan) 25'+ of rope and a caribiner. An escape belt is good if you are issued one or you have tons of money to waste.

QUOTE]

You are absolutely right, but I must say that I do wear a harness on my bunker gear because I am in the truck company and if we are using the tower ladder I occasionally clip into the bucket. I am thinking of just taking it off because it weighs quite a bit and I rarely use it. I don't really have to clip into the bucket, I usually end up unclipping to get onto the roof but anyways back to the Truckie Belt. I have never used one and I don't really see the need for one. I never have a problem carrying my tools and anthing else like a light is usually clipped on too me or slung over me, and any door chocks are on my helmet! Besides doesn't the Truckie belt get in the way of your SCBA strap? I think it would, to me the belt is just more crap in the way!

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, mine rides below my strap. Click this link below and you can see me with my truckie belt on. You can see that the pack strap is above the belt. I like it for carrying my wedge-its and an extra light. Its to each his own. Just don't be like some guys I have seen with their GUT belt; scba mask bags, hand axe, 2 RIT rope bags and 30 other Fire Whacker things making the thing weight 45 lbs and take 4-8 minutes to put on and adjust correctly.

forgot the link: http://www.skunkkillerfools.com/Linc...re%20Ghost.JPG

IAFF Local 3900

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by ff7134

Just my "lowly" opinion as a Firefighter...not an Explorer Chief.
    It was given to me as a gift, and I am not goint to tell my dad no. I figure I will have it for when I am finished with my Firefighter II class in May.

Thread Information