Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Record keeping

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Record keeping

Just curious what computer software other departments are using for their records.

Is anyone using Microsoft Access?

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

MembersZone Subscriber rescueman5's Avatar

Cool

That would depend on type of records you want to file. We us Firehouse software for all fire/medical records. It has alot of other features that would probably benefit your department. We also us MS Word to generate blank forms that we use for general business and record keeping.
    Volunteer Firefighters: We Do It For Free 24/7/365

MembersZone Subscriber

I mainly want to track training hours broken down in to sections. For example, I want to be able to track how many hours a firefighter has in various areas such as how many hours each firefighter has on tools, EMS CE, and driver training etc.

MembersZone Subscriber rescueman5's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that Firehouse can do that. The Asst. Chief in my dept takes care of all that type of paper work. It can break it down into hours and minutes if you want. You can sort it by the training that your dept does or you can add any state/fema/usfa training that your dept does. It also has NFRIS fire reports and does seperate medical reports. Check it out and see if it will work for you.
    Volunteer Firefighters: We Do It For Free 24/7/365

Firehouse Software can do just about any kind of records you want. Yes, you can do the training like you want to. As long as someone is entering all of the information (dates, who attended, what was covered, etc..) you can run a query to look up stuff. You can also do it with all of your runs also. (ex. how many pediatric runs you have, # of car fires, etc.)

We use it for all of our computerized record-keeping and at the end of the year we do a year-end report that breaks everything down into categories for run responses, how many IVs were started, how many were attempted, etc.

I like the software, but we had a lot of problems with training on the software. Much of what we know was learned by us just "playing around" with the software to see what it could do. We did have a couple basic training sessions, but that was mostly for entering the runs. We ended up getting the rep to come in and show a couple of us some more in-depth stuff, but we still need more. I know there is another department in Northwest Ohio here that does use it very proficiently and we are going to (eventually) go check out how they use it and maybe learn some more stuff.

Yes, the software is expensive, but it is very useful. Just like any computer program, you have to use it to get proficient at it. We have a few people who complain about it and say it sucks, but it's because they don't use it enough to become proficient at it. Those of us who have used it a lot don't have too many complaints.

Thread Information