District Chief

Default Virginia FD Tanker Rolls over in Snow Storm

POTOMAC NEWS

Snow storm turns up trouble
    Firetruck flips over; weather cancels parades

Keith Walker
    Potomac News
    Friday, December 5, 2003

Snow and the threat of snow have postponed or canceled many area events, and caused at least one serious accident since the storm began Thursday afternoon.

A Buckhall Volunteer Fire Department tanker overturned on Prince William Parkway on Thursday at about 10:30 p.m. when it swerved to avoid a slower moving vehicle during the snow storm, said Battalion Chief Hadden Culp, Prince William Fire and Rescue.

The tanker was on the way to an automobile accident when it rolled from the east-bound lanes, overturned and landed upside down in the median.

"The weather was a contributing factor. There's no doubt about that," Culp said.

Police at the scene said that the tanker struck two vehicles during the accident.

The investigation remains open, Culp said

The tanker, worth an estimated $100,000, would probably be a total loss, Culp said.

"Equipment gets sold for salvage just like a car would," Culp said.

Police closed the parkway for about an hour while tow trucks righted the upside-down tanker and cleared it from the parkway median east of the Occoquan River.

The Prince William County firefighter who was driving the vehicle was taken to the hospital for minor injuries. No one else was hurt, police said.

The weather service predicted that the storm would deposit 3 to 6 inches of snow before it begins to move east and out of the area by midday Saturday.

Another 2 to 4 inches of light freezing drizzle or scattered snow is possible as the storm leaves at about 4 p.m., the weather service said......................................

Staff writer Keith Walker can be reached at (703) 878-8063. Daniel Drew and Dylan Moore contributed to this report.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

The only question that came to mind is why did they take a tanker to a car wreck? Is there more details? did they expect fire in the car? I would think in my opinion that taking a tanker would be the worse thing to take in the snow.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

you know ...........I cant help but wonder the same thing ........never heard of such a thing .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Makes about as much sense as taking a ladder truck to a car wreck, but I know of several departments that do just that - either for traffic safety (so something big is blocking the road) or because that's where they've "always carried the jaws, on the ladder".

--j.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Jay911
    Makes about as much sense as taking a ladder truck to a car wreck, but I know of several departments that do just that - either for traffic safety (so something big is blocking the road) or because that's where they've "always carried the jaws, on the ladder".

--j.
    I think the reason why was stated by you, having the tools on that truck, I can see why they do that, maybe thats there first ou truck or something and you never know maybe you may even need the jaws at a fire scene.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps the tanker was the last remaining apparatus not already responding to other calls.

Just a thought.

Dobber
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

How about the car wreck was in a non-hydranted area and they wanted to have a sustained water supply in case there was a fire? I don't know if that's right or not but we routinely roll a tanker for car wrecks for that purpose.

FyredUp
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-08-2003 at 12:47 AM.

Sure seems reasonable to roll a tanker to an accident on a limited-access highway

-- Water Supply
    -- Another vehicle to block lanes if need be

A well designed, filled tanker shouldn't be any more dangerous than similiar sized fire apparatus.

District Chief

It was a limited access highway and to my knowledge unless there was another unit running as the "Tanker" the vehicle (as I am familiar with) did not have extrication equipment to my knowledge.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: Virginia FD Tanker Rolls over in Snow Storm

Originally posted by captstanm1
    POTOMAC NEWS

Snow storm turns up trouble

Another 2 to 4 inches of light freezing drizzle

WTF?, That would be one for the record books.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't pick up on that one the first time around. What a hoot. That would be the ice storm to end all ice storms.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information